Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928/29 one piece firewall anyone make them

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flyn schlosser, Jan 16, 2020.

1. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I cant find any info does anyone manufacture a piece firewall for a 28 coupe . the fuel tank is been cut out and relocated to the back . My car is running a sbc need a little clearence for the distributor . I seen guys make there own with nice bead rolls .Im not that skilled looking for some ideas . the firewall is out of my car as of now.Any info our pictures is appreciated. Thank you

2. Do you have the lower portion? I have done it in the past with a trashed gas tank, by cutting out the firewall section and welding it all together with the lower portion, used an old big rig stack to create a tunnel for the distributor to fit into. Then just bolted it into the cowl.

Just Gary likes this.
  3. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Yes I still have the original pieces a big rig stack is a great idea. I thought a bout welding it together to make it a one piece I figured some guys on here would have some good idea.Appreciate the response

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. I used a stack because I found one on the freeway one day, it sat in the corner of my shop for years before I used it. you can do the same thing with a piece of a 4 or 5 inch exhaust turndown. A friend of mine has a 28 coupe, he made a nice little box that bolts to the inside of the firewall that covers a hole in the firewall that the distributor fits into. This way he can take out 4 bolts and has full access to the distributor from under the hood or inside the car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

That would work I do appreciate the advise .Thank you

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

It has been noted in other threads, but bears another mention : a garden supply wheelbarrow pan makes a great insert (close to proper shape & minimal forming needed), especially for SBC installations.

7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I agree and I seen that but i dont need that much room the distributor is barely touching .

Just Gary likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe a little garden scoop. Remove handel and weld, bolt or rivet in place.

flyn schlosser likes this.
  9. Can you just trim a sliver out of the top & bottom flanges like I did?
    distributor crescent.jpg

10. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thats a great idea .Thank you

11. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Im going to have to check thank you but i still think its to much I have the bigger style distributor maybe its worth it to buy a the small sstyle its a crate motor that came complete from blueprint.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. chev34ute

chev34ute

If you want a one piece firewall, you could try fabricating one yourself. It’s not as hard as you think. There are three channels on Youtube that show you all the steps. The Eastwood Channel shows you the equipment you can purchase to do the job. A manually operated bead roller is surprisingly cheap and you can use it for floor pans as well.

Lazzie Metal Shaping shows you how to make up the paper pattern for the firewall. The last Channel is called Iron Trap Garage and The Presenter Matt has a number of Model A projects with detailed metal shaping tutorials.

This is what I shaped up just from subscribing to those three channels.

767B9919-8D81-4CDF-A2F2-55062A84011F.jpeg

scrap metal 48 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Thank you I follow iron trap on you tube . I will check it out . I thought about trying to make one

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I don't see that a one piece firewall works all that well with a 28/29 firewall.
    The tank separation is the issue.
    Even not using the tank means that once a one piece firewall is in play the tank and the cowl can not ever be separated.
    I will try and get you a picture of a recessed firewall with a reversed seam joint that works and looks pretty good also.
    The only issue is that you will need to do most of the work yourself.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

This is the best I can offer for now.
    Lower part of firewall is recessed and upper portion into gas tank is cut out and recessed in a curve that follows the outer shape of the gas tank/cowl.
    The bolted seam is cut off and reversed to give a clean flush appearance.
    Seam is then bolted from the inside.
    IMAG2083.jpg IMAG2085.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  16. bct

bct

20170707_150550.jpg
    I'm building one but only have the top so far. Chose to go with two piece for ease of construction. I have a nice sized recess from a late 30s Chevrolet, flanged and everything.

17. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Really neat idea I really like it

fiftyv8 likes this.
  18. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I used and old gas tanks for the heads and a half a headlight bucket to clear the distributor lol. I also flipped the stock bead so I wouldnt lose it

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

20. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

rcavaliers and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. jaracer

jaracer

I kept the top part and build a bottom section. I've got a nailhead and they are longer than a SBC. IMG_1267.JPG

Just Gary likes this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

With the metal shaping skills I have seen here what about copying, or having copied a '32 firewall's overall design... [look]...
    you, or have them, downsize the beadwork proportionately ...
    and maybe alter it so it might increase the size of the breather "dent" for "your" particular clearance and maybe recess the whole firewall 1" to 1.5" while at it... way beyond my skill level...
    ..... just spit balling...

fiftyv8 likes this.
  23. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Give Direct Sheet Metal in El Cajon Ca a call they make a replacement clean firewall

24. bct

bct

15797512094892152197244855502714.jpg

Here is the general motors recess i mentioned. Wish i knew what year it was.

25. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

That would be perfect

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The other possibility is using a transmission tunnel or driveshaft tunnel scrap piece or just get a piece of metal and form it around your knee/leg or a oxy bottle .

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

bct likes this.
  28. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca