Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this Starter fit???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Jan 16, 2020.

1. I ended up with this starter in a pile of stuff that came with another car, and its obviously not for it. It has been rebuilt so there is no Tag number on the starter. Part of my brain says its old chrysler, but im not sure.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    starter1.jpg starter2.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Its missing the solenoid, The orientation of the solenoid lever to the mounting holes makes me think early Oldsmobile V8.

3. squirrel

squirrel

there were a lot of them that looked similar....

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Definitely not early Olds V8

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

In the pic below, the Jim Carter 12v I6 replacement starter is slightly different than the one that Tony pulled from "a rusted 56 Chevy car that was sinking into the earth". The mechanical linkage is enclosed and the solenoid is a bit different on the replacement starter but the business end that meshes with the flywheel eyeballs okay. They look a bit like the one you have.

[​IMG]

6. 42merc

42merc

It is pre '57 GM & fits on the right hand side of the engine.

squirrel likes this.
  7. 54vicky

54vicky

no where near the same the clocking of bolts do not look to match to say nothing of the mounting casting

8. BJR

BJR

Does it have a tag on it with numbers stamped on it. If so list them and we can get you the correct application.

9. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a typical rebuilt where they remove the original tag....

10. Yup, they removed the tag when they rebuilt it. The box as pictured here has a number on it, but doubt that could be looked up. starter3.jpg

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I get '52-'54 Chevy 6 cylinder 6 volt in a search of that number

irishsteve, the first response looks like a winner to me

Moriarity, irishsteve and squirrel like this.
  12. Is it really missing the solenoid or did it use some foot-actuated linkage to engage the drive into the flywheel ring gear? :confused:

Chavezk21 likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. squirrel

squirrel

That's the version that used a solenoid. The foot pedal version (used in trucks through 1959) has different mounting holes, for the starter switch.

ClayMart likes this.
  15. 54vicky

54vicky

after all these years the number on the box may not even be what is the box.believe it or not in happens:eek:

16. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As per previous posts - Chevrolet. My 1955 NAPA parts catalog agrees:
    3530_catalog.jpg
    I know it's a different brand but up through at least the mid 1970's many rebuilt components (starters, generators/alternators, brake shoes etc.) used the same basic part numbers from brand to brand, but with the companies' own prefixes.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As squirrel said they are two different units.
    Back years ago they sold the starters with or without the solenoid as some guy would keep their old solenoid and put it on the new starter.
    Top is the 3530 with the solenoid bottom is 53 Chevy truck. Photo creds to Amazon and to Just Auto parts. 3530 starter.jpg AD truck starter.jpg

squirrel likes this.