Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. 20190921_175534.jpg 20190921_175519.jpg 20190921_175534.jpg I'm not sure how old they are but for $15 I got them and a 70'd or 80's Mac side cab.

2. oldswede

oldswede

Cool thread, this one gives me a chance to make my first post. I picked up this Craftsmen TWA mechanic's chest at an antique sale a while back. When I was cleaning it out I found a folder inside with the shown paperwork including the Boeing 727 tool list. The paperwork is dated from 1967, so I figure it is probably an early 60s or 70s box. If anyone has a better idea let me know. 20170820_141352.jpeg 20170820_141400.jpeg 20170820_141355.jpeg 20191214_231121.jpeg 20191214_231137.jpeg 20191214_231130.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, wingnutz, ClayMart and 4 others like this.
  3. Nice find! ;) The paperwork is as interesting as the tool chest. Might look good having at least some of it framed. :cool:

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  4. Are you located in Wisconsin?
    Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. oldswede

oldswede

loudbang likes this.
  6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0070.JPG It's a homemade wooden box that has been around the Farm before I was born . It is full of combine parts and is always on the fuel truck during harvest .

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0328.JPG IMG_0331.JPG Black & Decker valve facing tool

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  8. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck, enloe and Okie Pete like this.
  9. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A179A2CF-E0B7-4BD1-9B50-4A609BE43654.jpeg 6E5063BA-D1D6-4E83-898D-BD5516C41645.jpeg One of my neighbors that I have mowed his grass for over 17 years gave me this and the story to go with it. He was apprenticing as a machinist when he was 17. He was drafted to fight in the South Pacific so he put the box at his moms. His brother in law took it and used it as a machinist and his tools for 30 years retired and put it back up in the attic in the same spot. When they cleaned out his moms house years later he found it and forgot it was there and his brother in law told him he used it. He went to college on the G.I. bill and worked at Oak Ridge then became a world renowned clock maker. I would trade him use of his FORD metal lathe for cutting his grass even tho I can hear him saying “son, this is a precise machine that makes intricate clock parts not motorcycle parts”. But every now and then he’d let me make grips and pegs or other parts. He gave the box to me one day with all his machinists tools in it before he died and we use it for all out leather tooling stuff. He said he wanted me to have it. It’s heavy as balls with all the tools. He gave me a vintage wood creeper that he never used and his CAT diesel hat that I wear often.

the other box I bought off another oak ridge worker for 25 bucks from his grandson not sure why people would sell something like that.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. thegreenbuzzer

thegreenbuzzer
    from Knoxville

image.jpg image.jpg Here is another one. And the leather one I made that I use a lot with daily tools.

11. IMG_1967.jpg IMG_1968.jpg IMG_1969.jpg IMG_1970.jpg

I know, it's not really a toolbox, but it was my Dad's old slot car pit box. I've had it forever, and use it to hold all sorts of hotrod trinkets.

12. I do have a few old toolboxes hanging around as well. The first is a nice cantilever box, no markings that I can see. Picked it up cheap at an auction a couple of weeks ago. Next is an old Craftsman box that is destined to become a battery box for the RPU project. My buddy called me up the other day and told me that he had a different Craftsman toolbox that I needed to own. Didn't know why he thought that...until I opened the lid and saw the vintage stickers under the lid. Then there is my Dad's old box that used to sit on top of his workbench for as long as I can remember. Someone else posted a picture of the same box a few pages back. Small world. Was going to post pictures of the two triple stack roll away boxes, but they are kinda too new...even though I just realized that I have owned them for almost 30 years now!

Attached Files:

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just gave my 1970's Craftsman box a clean up with new hammer finish paint.

Attached Files:

14. I bought one of these when I was in high school in the early 60's. Gave it to my son in law when they moved to their home to help him keep tract of his tools. tapatalk_1578514483432.jpeg

Phil

15. My buddy has a knack for finding old toolboxes. I told him I needed one that would fit an Optima battery, and had to have a little bit of "patina". This is what he brought me. The fact that it's a Craftsman box is just a plus.

16. koolbeans

koolbeans

Had several. Great for pit box. Red lift out tray....kool

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

greaseSlinger57 and loudbang like this.
  17. Mine had the older grey color match tray.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  18. That cantilevered box would make a dandy sign-painter or pin-striper kit. That upper tray with the hinged lid would be perfect for keeping your lettering quills and striping brushes clean and oiled.

echo ed, drdave and loudbang like this.
  19. theamcguy

theamcguy

Really digging the tool box club. Some really nice examples posted.

barryvanhook and loudbang like this.
  20. David Coleman

David Coleman

Brother Bill and I started out with a set of Blackhawk 7/16" ratchets, extensions and sockets. I bet most folks have never heard of 7/16" sockets, but back then, the thinking was the 7/16" would serve the purpose of doing jobs usually reserved for either 1/2" or 3/8," and therefore a shop would only need one set of tools rather than two sets. Attrition, from the late 1940's, took its toll, and I couldn't tell you today, what happened to that set.

21. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I try to find 7/16” drive tools at the swap meets, but most tool sellers haven’t heard of them. I like to add them to my Blackhawk “bomb” tool box.

Okie Pete, loudbang and ClayMart like this.
  22. I'd never heard of them either, until yesterday. :eek:

1morecarIpromise! and loudbang like this.
  23. I also had not heard of the 7/16” drive until yesterday. Apparently Wright made a 5/8” drive as well, I found some on the bay of e yesterday. I know that SnapOn also made dome goofy hex drive stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

26. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Oldest ones I've been able to acquire are 5/8 drive. They may have had a smaller size as well.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

This belonged to my dad. I don't remember seeing it as a kid at the house. Must have been at his work places. He was a punch press set up and maintenance man. Trying to find the vintage. It is in excellent shape,no plywood, no knick's, gouges or scratches, no staining or wear on the felt lining. Let the tools go at the estate sale, kept the box. IMG_20200115_152756.jpg IMG_20200115_152744.jpg IMG_20200115_152841.jpg

Okie Pete, ClayMart and biggeorge like this.
  28. Buz

Buz

The Gerstner company has a web site and they will look up the time the box was made for a fee. They also make keys for your lock. Take out the drawers and look at the back and there should be a number in pencil. They hand fit each drawer to the location in the box. I have the one my father in law used at work.

loudbang likes this.
  29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Found a key, and the pencil notations on the back of several drawers. Sent them an email about year of manufacture. Later ones apparently used plywood with overlay this seems all solid wood with exception of metal drawer bottoms.

loudbang likes this.
  30. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

loudbang likes this.