Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Pins & Brake Drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '48 F-1 Mark, Jan 14, 2020.

1. '48 F-1 Mark

'48 F-1 Mark

I just replaced the king pins and bushings on my '48 Ford F-1, now the brake drums rub on the brake backing plate (mostly on the bottom) when driving. They do not rub when the wheels are lifted off the ground. I had the local machine shop replace and size the bushings. I put washers on the lug studs behind the drums temporarily to stop the rubbing. Any ideas as what is causing the rubbing? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. You need to post this on the main forum, not here in the intro section.

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Mostly on the bottom? Verifyed by wear marks? I’d be checking wheel bearings and pre load first

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Replacing the pins/bushings would not cause rubbing.They are inboard too far.Are your wheel bearings,and races installed correctly?Are the bearings tight enough?

5. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

You say the machine shop did the fitment but did they do the assembly? If so I’d be taking it back asap

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The king pins shouldn't have any effect on it.
    What else did you change?
    From what you are saying it sounds like you don't have the wheel bearings adjusted correctly or are missing something or have a wrong part in the inner wheel bearing.

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

1. yop need more money

8. chopndrop

chopndrop

Agreed. Kingpins and bushings should have nothing to do with the clearance between your drum and backing plate. I would guess something wasn't reassembled correctly when putting it back together afterwards. Maybe as simple as not tightening up the nut that holds the hub on. Did you put back together or someone else?