Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone able to bend stainless trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hey guys, I'm wanting to put a mild curve in a 4' piece of trim to fit the contour of the trunk on my '47 Ford going from the rear glass towards the bumper. Has anyone had any success in bending stainless trim, I read somewhere years ago that it could be done by filling the backside with lead then bending and removing the lead afterwards. All thoughts and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance, Michael
    20200113_225727.jpg

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Custom trim is done with brass then chromed.

BigO likes this.
  3. The guy who taught me how to do body work and weld told me that during the depression they had to fix all the stainless trim and that is how they did it . Heat up the lead pour it in let cool and the tap it across the dent repeat till good .This might work for you if you relieve the flange a little in the bend .

Peter Nowak and BigO like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are much smaller and exactly the opposite of what you are asking (because they are on the inside of the deck lid :cool:), but I bent these SS slats over the rear drag slicks. Takes strong hands, strong will, strong bourbon.
    upload_2020-1-13_20-28-5.png

Hnstray and BigO like this.

5. Im a goldsmith and when I was working as an apprentice my boss had customers that would bring in stainless to be repaired because he had the small tools and knowledge to remove dents and mild twist and he taught me how, I was 16 and now I'm 59 and still repair trim but never needed to bend it and I was planning to put small relief cuts in the flanges to help ease the bending while using the lead to prevent kinking the metal. Thanks for letting me know that the lead can help. BigO

6. Don't have any bourbon so I guess I'll have to just use the Moonshine I have stashed away. :D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. By the way Billy Bandit that's an awesome ride you have there. BigO

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Thanks BigO
    If you don't have the trim piece already, call McMillans and send them a paper template showing the curvature and they will pre-bend it for you.

BigO likes this.
  9. The idea of filling the trim piece with lead seems like a good idea. Using a sand bag to tap the lead will help keep the trims form.
    Seems like flat trim would be more difficult to bend/stretch than a peaked piece.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    BigO likes this.
  10. You can buy solid trim on the restoration supply and bend as needed. But you would have to shape the ends. Also chrome it or polish it.

Attached Files:

rsss396 and BigO like this.