Register now to get rid of these ads!

150 Photos From Texas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not always. My 210 has fender louvers. But instead of them being gold they are silver, as is the mesh in the grille.

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff!! A lot of good DCB ‘32 coupe pix. Love that Hemi pickup with the old time Mopar decal! Thanks for posting them.

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. The 4th picture from the top is Bob Taylor's "Red Hoss" (it was the original Scorpion rail) that Bob ran all over to Great Bend etc - bringing home trophies I was able to acquire. Some photo's - with trees - look like the Cedar Hill race track that was out HWY 67 southwest of Dallas back in the day.

4. Hey @stillrunners ... was it you that posted where Auggie's "Hands" '56 is today ? Like who owns it now ? I know it still exists .. somebody mentioned it recently. Can't find the post.

Stogy likes this.
  5. WOW, and Thanks! What a Cool thread. The HAMB is like a time machine. Yeah Ryan it took a pot of coffee, but I really enjoyed all the photos, and everyone's post too. Ron......

Stogy likes this.
  6. KKrod

KKrod

Studer's Photo Texas was located in San Antonio.
    Really like these Cabriolets. Look almost identical and look to have the same club plaques.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  7. KKrod

KKrod

Wow!! Those are some really great photos. These look to be taken at the AHRA nationals in Kansas City in 1959 and some in 1960.

8. brady1929

brady1929

Cool pictures!

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  10. Hey this aint trad. Its got an SBC in it. :rolleyes: :D :D :D
    [​IMG]

@Ryan great pics man. This is a weeks worth of drooling easy.

1947knuck, billyt, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. EF79AF79-F160-4855-9504-B5E2A0651E0A.jpeg These photos seem to indicate that if you showed up to the drags without a Hemi in your car then you weren’t shit! Haha I think 9 out of 10 cars was running one!

And check out the gullwing Mercedes casually parked beside this dragster.

12. KKrod

KKrod

13. KKrod

KKrod

Carson Garage. East Dallas. Jimmy Carson.

[​IMG]
    Update. Tuesday evening. I emailed Uncle Daniel Evans about this car and this is his reply.

Karl I don't remember ever seeing that dragster.
    Looks like the chassis was made of aluminum C channel
    The class was "Open Gas", and the NHRA may have started
    the Nitro Fuel Ban in 1959. With a small block chevy engine.
    that car would be hard pressed to run with the 392 Chrysler
    engined dragsters. It may not have won a race and retired early
    However in the fall of 1959 I was a full time college student studying
    Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry, with little time or money to
    go to the races, or even eat. LOL

WBRW32 emailed about this car. Try L.W. Irwin (Dubby) on the Carson dragster

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This 56 seems to have sported two wheelwell configs...heres a link to a post by Hamber @elgringo71 and I did see a couple of pics of a fairly recent Baby Blue 56 Tudor that might be it but I have to find it again...:eek:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ionships-nov-1962.998118/page-3#post-11253098

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/may-12-at-little-river-in-temple-drags-pictures.182742/

:rolleyes:...the pics above were posted by Hamber @Bass and @Dirty2...and the question was raised about this 56 being Auggie's and it was not answered...initial observations are trim difference but that could have been a modern mild customizing...I would like to hope it survived it sure sat just right and ready to deliver...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...in-temple-drags-pictures.182742/#post-1979207

Heres a thread on Caddo Mills at link below by Hamber @blackrat40 who I know is in a battle for his Life right now...He is in my Thoughts...

He did Post a video that showcases Caddo and Auggie and his 56 are at 4:39 in the video looking just Awesome with the Radiused Wheelwells...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1962-drags-at-caddo-mills-texas.1031667/

1947knuck, kidcampbell71 and KKrod like this.
  15. ... cool links. Yeah somebody posted that Auggie's car was still kicking around somewhere. He died in 1967 .. so that just struck me that 50 years later, the car was still here.

Just wish I had noted who said it. Would be a cool car to own, or see again.

Stogy likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-15_3-24-40.png
    Hello,

Nice find of those old 1959-60 drag racing photos from Texas. I liked the early 1959 photo of Eddie Hill and his cool Moon Disc painted symbol. Look at the size of his front wheels. He was an innovator that lasted a long time in the drag racing circles. But, the idea was less restriction in the front, using smaller diameter rims and tires. How small were those custom Moon Discs? 12” ??? Talk about "big/littles"… an innovation from 1959.

Within 6 months, we saw Eddie Hill at the March 1960 Bakersfield Smokers event. He had then added a 671 to the Pontiac motor and was very competitive, until a slight mishap against the twin of Bayer/Frietas.

1960 March Eddie Hill with a 671

Jnaki

Eddie Hill’s longevity in drag racing is to be commended and it has been documented in most drag racing history books and articles. His race cars have always had some new innovation presented throughout his career. Kudos…

Nice inclusion in the "150 photos from Texas…"

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People are amazing...a genius in a way...people that do amazing things...such a cool machine...and captured quite nicely on film and even video...I'll keep my eyes peeled...

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This era of Drag racing was pretty refined with many of these racers showworthy...a real class era and I definitely was drawn to the graphic on the discs...and you were there...how cool is that...thanks for the connections and video @jnaki

stillrunners, alanp561 and jnaki like this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Ryan, for allowing me this look back at my youth. I spent a lot of time at Wichita Falls and Oklahoma City in the early 60s and maybe I have seen some of these cars. I say maybe because I don't remember as well as I used to. You can see the pride that went into these cars. As @Stogy said, "many of these racers showworthy". Even the ones that wouldn't have done well in a show event had that "finished" look. Real Hot Rods engineered and built by real people with little or no access to catalogs. One person's idea picked up and improved by someone else and the ideas goes on.

20. not me Kid.....

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
    Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked Auggie's 56 with the radiused quarters and that stance was just right...hope it still retains it's soul...

That look also rocked on 57's as well...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  23. I believe Roy Pigford from Pasadena Texas, has or did have the '56.

24. X-cpe

X-cpe

The 12th photo brings back memories. Makes you appreciate an air tank.

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-8_4-2-1.png
    Hello,

The date on the photo says Sept 1960. This version had changed over the time period after we saw the Chizzler at Riverside Raceway in 1959. The side body cladding was added and the shiny aluminum body has been painted. But, that cold December morning in 1959 and race day was the first time on the West Coast for Chris Karamesines. Everyone wanted to see the record setting FED. It was like a car show…the well-known racers were front and center in the pits for a scrutinizing viewing.
    The Chizzler 1959

The Greek has some impressive FED race cars from his humble beginnings. We read all about the innovations he put on his Hemi powered FED. The Drag News reported a 204 mph time, which most on the West Coast disputed or were in awe. He is credited with the development of the lower angle, even tube, ground level, "zoomies."
    upload_2020-2-8_4-3-26.png 1959 Chizzler Riverside Raceway

Jnaki

Everyone around us was impressed with the quality build of the original Chizzler. It was surprising, when it showed up at the line without the front cladding. It ran both ways (nose cone or without) throughout the day.

In the 1960 time period, a lot of famous drag racers started to tour all over the USA for exhibition runs and join in the local top eliminator races. The Texas 1960 photo is a different FED version and probably was on tour of the Southwest and West Coast dragstrips. Cool side louvers...

1947knuck likes this.
  26. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

I remember him in Stockton, California. Actually met him! Interesting guy. The stories ran amok about him for sure!

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-15_4-41-58.png
    Hello,

Nice early photo of the Neil Leffler /John Loukas Competition Coupe from Ohio. The time period fits right into the history of those guys moving out West in early 1960. We saw the 671 supercharged, Competition Coupe at the Bakersfield Smokers’ famous March Meet in 1960. They were already at Lions in the prior months to receive some award as a national record setter.
    upload_2020-3-15_4-42-40.png
    Leffler Loukas at Lions Dragstrip

But at the 1960 Smokers’ March Meet, they put on a show.
    upload_2020-3-15_4-43-45.png

upload_2020-3-15_4-44-25.png

Jnaki

Note: There was a controversy at the final race as noted in the film that I took. It has some funny connotations about being a new Californian and learning the dreaded, “California Stop” at those RED STOP signs that are littered all over California.

kidcampbell71 likes this.