Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Intimidating Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That's what I was thinking! Nitro burning street car.

2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried building an "intimidating" Rod in the early 90s. Chopped 40 Pickup, 37 Pass. nose. 302/c4. It ended up LOOKING faster than it really was...didn't intimidate anyone:(. drag4.jpg

Attached Files:

3. IMG_0344.JPG IMG_1413.JPG

I hear ya, more streetable intimidating cars. How about these for a start....

4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I don't have a pic of it but hemi joels, flat black coupe in the back ground of brains Chrysler looks pretty bad ass.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

The cars that seemed intimidating to me were always rough around the edges, had a wild idle, a lot of gear, modifications were solely to go faster. A car that was once finished nicely and has been beat on race after race with a driver thats willing to blow it up - if thats what it takes. Perfect stance, with as much tire that will physically fit, hammered wheelwells if it needs it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am surprised by the sheer number of 33-34's in this thread.

I was completely expecting it to be filled with lame gasser wanna be's by now.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Some of these cars are...strange/weird, not so much intimidating.

Mike

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- I don't get the point of this thread - talking about something that is a DD, weekend racer, full race car, exhibition car, extremely high horsepower, etc?

loudbang likes this.
  10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed, as in: it would be intimidating to slam the throttle to the floor and hang on! Guess I lean more toward that type of hot rod when it has license plates on it though. :cool:

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Mike, yep, we don't all think alike. My kid got off an amusement park ride pumping his fists, nearly running to get back in line and the kid next to him had tears running down his cheeks and vomit on his shirt and pants.

You don't? You have the Purple People Eater as an avatar!

Reread what I wrote. There's nothing I said that needs to make it one type (or era) hot rod. I've been to tracks, Bonneville, car shows, and out and about and seen/heard/been in cars that are intimidating. I don't think it has to be just one type, era or genre. You know it when you "see" it.

Here's an example, 25ish years ago I was in a class record holder Pikes Peak race car. It was a plain, brown metallic and very benign-looking from 20 feet. I climbed through the cage and sat on the passenger floor area to go for a ride. To this day, there's not any other vehicle that has ever put that type of fear in me. When that car fired up, I knew why this car had the reputation it did. It was the most violent ride I've ever been on.

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

807.jpg 843.jpg Buddy of mine's 57 in the mid eighties. Turned a few heads.

13. X-cpe

X-cpe

To me "intimidating" is on the far end of the scale. The word "attitude" is a must descriptor of a hot rod.

-Brent- and CME1 like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. adam401

adam401

Im not intimidated by any car. There isnt an automobile in the world I wouldn't punch in the nose.

alanp561 and williebill like this.
  16. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

How about this Beast P1010006.JPG

17. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I always thought this was pretty intimidating cause I was driving;) mokan 2013 dragster.jpg

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Again I wish I knew how to post pictures from the web { loudbang I need help!} but cars that come to mind that are pre 65 would be the Doyle Grammel 32 from 1963 featured in Rod and Custom, Big Johns Corvette, Gene Schwartz's NHRA record holder 51 Bel Air Gasser from 64, and off topic cars like Mooreland's 40 and 49 or 50 Ford coupe, Fat Jacks 48, in other words cars that look like they are going a 150 standing still, but are still drop dead gorgeous doing it! Larry

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

How you post pictures from the web, depends on what you are using to access the HAMB, and what kind of picture it is. You can copy the picture URL and then click the picture icon, and past in the URL, but that only works if it's a normal picture in plain HTML...and they're getting harder to find these days. I usually take a screen shot, crop it, and upload it as a new image. I hear there are some programs/apps that will let you do all this stuff, too. If you're doing this using a phone or tablet, it probably takes a different method. Some guys just upload a screen shot of the whole screen on their phone, which looks kind of goofy to me.

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bill Wineland's A coupe

Bill Wineland Model A Coupe.jpg
    Kiwi Kev's

Kiwi Kev Altered Model 40.jpg
    Ryan Ford's 32

Ryan Ford 32 Ford.jpg

21. Fordors

Fordors

When on your phone you can easily post a photo you find, provided it is not protected. Choose the image you want, place your forefinger on it and slowly “drag” it upward on the screen. When you see a display that says Save Image and/or Copy touch your finger on Save Image. It will then be found in your Photo Library when you select Upload a File when posting. Find the photo you want to post, touch it, (or more than one if desired) to select it and it will load into the post you are working on. Be sure to click on Full Size or it will only appear as a thumbnail.
    You can follow the same procedure with a photo you took with your phone but keep in mind it may need editing. Phone photos sometimes show upside down but that’s easily corrected before posting. If a photo is upside down click on Delete (before posting) using the little box next to the image, then go to your Photo Library, edit it and use Upload a File again to include it in your post.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Evidently you're not allowed to like that one because my photos of it got deleted, although there's a car posted that has EFI and it's ok ???

chryslerfan55 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  23. Muttley

Muttley

24. loudbang

loudbang

@ONE BAD 51 MERC check your "conversations." :)

1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. How about the 268 mph "Flying Brick"

[​IMG]

1947knuck, mad mikey, Malcolm and 6 others like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

everyone can like whatever they want. But pro street is off topic here.....

27. oldolds

oldolds

Wild bill albertson.jpg
    I think the early cars like this were the most intimidating. All about going fast with no thoughts bout driver protection.

28. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Here's some...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  29. loudbang