Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need to fix a 1933 Ford grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

I’ve got a wall hanger 1933 grill that I would like to fix if I can find something to use to replace my missing side of my cross bar. Does anyone have a grill that’s beyond fixing with 9 inches or more of cross bar or an idea for something else that might work?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

just fabricate a piece

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  3. Agree. You have a perfect pattern to get the layout from. Just drill the holes, slit to the front and twist the ends. Basic 101 sheet metal work. What's your plan of attack for the vertical bars?

4. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

That looks to be a tough remake. I wonder how different one from a deuce is?

5. Well maybe, I guess I take my skill level for granted but that part to me isn't a big deal. A lay out tool like this makes it easy.
    20200111_132008.jpg 20200111_132017.jpg
    Getting your lay out dead on is important. The right tools are a must. Past that it's just a small job.

clem likes this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Apply time and patience while taking it slow and easy and you will be amazed what you can achieve.
    I've learned to walk away at times rather than stick with a problem and do more damage than good.
    Go away, think it thru and then come back to do some more.
    I've heard of guys having some of those bars folded up new and welded in.
    I've seen a guy with a grille way worse than yours rebuilt back to excellent condition.
    Keep at it and you will prevail.

clem and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Considering these grills have been NEARLY impossible to find in reasonable condition (or price), for a long time it's worth a shot, not sure about 33's but the 34 grill has been in reproduction for some time, the quality of some have been a crapshoot though.

8. Mo rust

Mo rust

The 33 bars are every half inch. The deuce bars are closer together. I thought I’d look for a better option before I had to make one

9. Mo rust

Mo rust

I thought I would get the cross piece made to space the bars and then see if I can then try to straighten the bars as much as possible. Some bars might be stretched enough that I will have to cut them and reweld them using a strip of sheet metal in the back to align them

10. Mo rust

Mo rust

If I can get it looking good enough I’ll have it chromed and paint the bars silver. I have a 34 with a grill like that and I like the look
    IMG_2045.JPG

catdad49 and irishsteve like this.
  11. From what I see it looks like you can just shrink them back as needed. Doubt I'd cut and weld any of them. Many ways to skin a cat but I don't see any bars that are Kinked, Crushed or Broken off. I'd do my best to not do any welding on them. You will need to open the bars just enough to get them clean on the inside of each one. The rust on the inside will cause ya some grief. Looks like a fun project to me.

12. You can do it and when your done you can give the one in the photo the Tune Up it needs

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Call Nottingham they make perfect reproduction 33 grilles and could maybe sell you the crossbar. I straightened mine, painted the bars french gray and chromed the outside. Terry made it come out nice. IMG_1551.jpg

catdad49, 58ducknut and irishsteve like this.
  14. Mo rust

Mo rust

[​IMG]

I have a friend needing to fix his 34 grille and he volunteered to practice on my 33. It came out pretty good. I think I’ll have it chrome plated in the next few months.

15. Mo rust

Mo rust

I also found a bargain on a 34 grille that needs to be chromed too so I’ll eventually have them both done.
    [​IMG]