Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ok, I’ve got a 1937 truck, thinking of swapping in a 1949-53 Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Just like the title says, I have a 1937 bone stock Flathead , but it has a crack in the right side cylinder block. I have a several later model engines, with the late model distributor. I w@nt to use one of these motors, mainly because I have them and I want easier ignition system. Am I going to run into any trouble?

Bones

2. Water pumps, fan and distributor stick out farther than the earlier engines which may or may not cause interference. The upper radiator hoses are smaller diameter than the earlier engines as well, I believe. Truck style water pumps will fit the engine mounts in the frame.

Petejoe likes this.
  3. leon bee

leon bee

Won't you have to devote some thought to the bellhousing/trans/torquetube setup?

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, definitely. It requires either a ‘48/‘52 pickup cast iron bell or a ‘49/‘50 (early ‘51 Merc) stamped steel bell housing to mate the later Flathead block to the stock transmission.

A current thread, titled “Here it goes” , contains some use info for this conversion.

Ray

Petejoe likes this.

5. v8flat44

v8flat44

I'm sure someone on The Ford Barn can also add imput. Keep on truck'n.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The 8ba oil pan will also interfere with the steering linkages. Using an F1 truck pan will clear this. F1 pumps will also raise the engine to the proper height.
    If you intend to change your 8BA intake to an earlier type, install a PVC system for correct ventilation on it.

Here’s the link for the thread that Ray posted.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/here-it-goes.1180127/

irishsteve likes this.