Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Intimidating Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 10, 2020.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

After reading a few pages of the Iconic Hot Rod discussion, I got to thinking about cars I deem "iconic," and, naturally, I started thinking about why I like them.

The hot rods I love best all have one thing in common; they're intimidating. A well-crafted hot rod is threatening in its nature, but some stand out. They give off a stalwart vibe. I'm talking about the type of car that rolls up to the staging lane with the swagger of Heavyweight Champion Jack Johnson, the most intimidating man of his time. He'd beat his opponent mercilessly and leave with the most desirable women in the crowd - wives, girlfriends, sisters and moms.

I dig cars like that. There's something about the no-nonsense hot rods that aren't about playing nice. They look like it takes more balls to drive them.

Two cars come to mind: One, the Swindler A (It was also named the Black Widow for a time). The Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys that was lighter and more of a handful than their previous campaigned Willys.

Stone Woods Cookie Black Willys.jpg

Stone Woods Cook Black Willys.jpg

And two, although the story is fictional, it captures my sentiment, and perhaps it's partly why I am drawn to the intimidators. Bob Falfa's 55 Chevy was a character itself, and it fit the part of the intimidator well. Milner recognizes this at the end of the film when he admits he was beaten. The 55 ends up in flames, overturned. A testament to the idea that it was a terror on the street - the threat was valid.

Bob Falfa Intimidating.jpg

So, I'd love to see a thread filled with pictures dedicated to the intimidating hot rods. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I always coincided the '39 Willys to be ugly but this one is starting to grow on me.
    [​IMG]

Barn Hunter, Baron, patmanta and 40 others like this.

3. IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0404.JPG

I don't scare easy...but this one looks ready to steal your lunch money and give you a wedgie.

4. IMG_0149.JPG

This one ain't bad either....

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's easy, Wild Willie Borschs' terror.
    As far as AA/FA's go, In my opinion, the most feared in its day!
    Never had a chance to watch Willie drive but I've seen the recreation run and have walked by it on display with "Big Mike Boyd" and I just shivered.
    upload_2020-1-10_16-12-41.jpeg

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Wild Willie steering with one hand, holding onto the body with the other!!!

The driver was just as bad ass as the car.....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I'll pick someone with a car that I know in real life....

IMG_20180908_162650.jpg

Lil'Alb, bchctybob, hallrods and 38 others like this.
  8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am all about in your face street cars and the Falfa and Milner are two of my favorites. And although the Gassers and drag cars of the 60's fueled my early car craziness as a kid in the 60's { I was born in 1955} they have been done to death on threads here so I hope people start posting more street style builds. Wish I knew how to post pics better. My big computer with the scanner died a few years ago and all I have is a few shots I was able transfer to this old lap top. In the lower left corner is a shot of my 51 Merc, 428 fe. four speed ,9" and big and little tire rake. It will be a Merc version of Falfa's 55. It's parked next to a 49 mild custom I built a number of years ago. Love the idea of this Thread! Larry

9. Falfa’s 55 was definitely intimidating. I also like the 57 in Hollywood Knights. There are also some very bad ass 57 Fords around here with dog dishes on them that look like likker cars. Talk about intimidating, what about EJ Potters Small Block Chevrolet motorcycles?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moreland's 40 gets my vote-saw it run at Baylands.

24riverview, LOU WELLS, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've seen Hells Messenger around (when it was local to me), and based on the reaction to it pulling into the parking lot at the Nugget in Wendover (during Speed Week), I'd say the Elmers understand what it takes to build intimidation. It sounds rowdy. It's heavily chopped and perfectly unrefined - wearing dents, scars, and welds proudly.

Hells Messenger.jpg Hells Messenger Rear.jpg

coupe33, Lil'Alb, Just Gary and 27 others like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

A proper hot rod should be a touch intimidating, like a beautiful and crazy woman or magnum rifle.

Ya know it's going to hurt a little but ya gotta do it anyway.

Part of the reason I can't stand street rods. Power steering air conditioning and all the creature comforts make you forget you actually had a pair of balls once upon a time.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    greaser, brianf31, bchctybob and 17 others like this.
  13. I posted two pictures of the Dawson demon fuel coupe and for some reason it appears to have been deleted. Can someone explain to me how was that off topic?

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and reagen like this.
  14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like them when they go a bit further. :D

Nasty Habit Cop Cars.jpg

15. Hmmm Let me see what I can come up with for intimidating 79821387_2610632392389428_5931909985410744320_n.jpg 554 Coupe - 63 - 2.jpg 6045221926_cf24a894ac_z.jpg 226414_4067879510131_2090263037_n.jpg DSC_0551.jpg

16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I would say that might be considered intimidating.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.