Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fenton Company history lesson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

We've all heard the name, it's almost as old as hot rodding itself. They have made everything from headers, cams, air cleaners, heads, intakes, shifters, and wheels and that's just off the top of my head. I believe the wheels and shifters were copies of other popular aftermarket equipment of the time. Heads and intakes seem to have been rebadged from other manufacturers such as Edmunds. As far as I know the headers were thier own designs. Some of thier stuff has even been repoped, most not. There's still tons of thier stuff out there in our cars and at swap meets everywhere... but unlike other big names there seems to be little history about the company itself that was around for decades. Anyone have some history they'd like to share?

LOU WELLS and Deuces like this.
  2. Bill Smith told me years ago, when I was working for him, that Mr Fenton (not his actual name) was originally from Lincoln Nebraska, but he had to go to California cuz Lincoln wasn't big enough for both of them!
    True story...

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

haha well nobody ever accused Fenton products of being top of the line, but I'm still suprised at the lack of info or comprehensive product listings.

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Fenton intakes and headers can be found everywhere, but I wish someone would repop the air cleaners and valve cover for the chevy 216,235.

5. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

His real name was Aaron J. Fenton. He died in '06.

LOU WELLS and 6inarow like this.
  6. His real name before he changed it to Fenton was Finkelstien according to Speedy Bill. To quote Bill "The only Hebrews in California were actors."

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I know this is an old post but have any pic's of the air cleaners?I have never seen any in there ads.thanks

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've got three Fenton catalogs ('53, '56, and '59) and never saw air cleaners specific to Fenton in any of them.

9. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

I met Aaron Fenton on a buying trip many years ago. I was not favorably impressed with his quality (Wheels).

He seemed the least likely guy to be running a speed equipment business. More like a Jewish Lawyer,( which he may have been).

Elcohaulic and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Aaron Finklestein was the son of Ben Finklestien that owned Bens auto parts on 0 street in Lincoln that is where the Fenton idea was originated at Bens auto parts.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

No aircleaners but exhaust manifolds and exhaust to fit them. Several different brand heads along with the house brand.

12. Teegeek

Teegeek

i Dont suppose anyone has adjustment instructions for a Fenton 3speed shifter kit? Its in a 1950 shoebox without overdrive.

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Speedy Bill bought some headers from Fenton to sell, Fenton under cut Bills prices. Bill had to sit on them for 3 years until Fenton moved to California. Bill eventually got back at him. Lincoln wasn`t a big enough town for the both of them.

Elcohaulic and LOU WELLS like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

I like the Fenton 5-spoke mags... :)

15. I met Aaron Fenton many times during the late 50s and 60s..He was always very nice and business like..We were distributors of many major lines of speed parts in Dallas.
    including Fenton...,,,so I enjoyed many meals at his expense,,

16. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

My father was a metal polisher for Fenton in gardena Ca. back in 1960 to 65, Said the owners name was Aaron Finklestein but didnt always see him, his direct boss was Bud Armstrong that would showcase thier products on a 1958 impala that belonged to one of Buds sons that was in the service at the time. My dad was the goto guy to get things done and revolutionized methods to polish rims that almost looked imposible to do. My father did special deliveries for Aaron, they would ask him to put on a clean work shirt and take a envelope of cash to the bank that was a special delivery to the old contry. My father said he was a a very smart buisnessman and had his hand in almost everything.

17. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

Well, guys, most all of you who said bad things about Aaron Fenton are just wrong.
    I started working for Fenton Mfg Corporation in 1970 and was with the company until 1983 and was by then Senior Vice President & General Manager.
    Yes, Fenton manufacturing made low price 3 and 4 speed shifter kits along with other accessories for the hot rod industry.
    Before that he did mfg speed equipment for chev 6 cylinders and flathead fords but they were not just relabeled parts.
    In fact, the now famous 1957 CHEVROLET BLACK WIDOW cars put together by SEDCO used genuine FENTON cast iron exhaust headers. In the late 1950's the company sponsored the UNSER BROS in the Pikes Peak Races for several years using all his parts.
    In 1970 we became an NHRA MAJOR SPONSOR and by 1971 or so almost every single Pro Stock Racer in the country were running FENTON GYRO WHEELS, including Dyno Don Nicholson, The Mopar (Motown) Missile Don Carlton as driver and on and on and on. They were the wheel of choice. I personally supplied literally thousands of wheels to drag racer around the country...so those with the wrong opinion of FENTON COMPANY should be corrected. And yes, his birth name was Finklestien and he was Jewish.

18. Lanny White

Lanny White

I just came across this thread and I am trying to identify fitment of a pair of Y-Block Fenton cast iron headers (exhaust manifolds). They are stamped 0708 RH and 0708 LH. I have had them for 40 years and believe that they had come off of a 1956 Ford. I read above that Heathen has early Fenton catalogs - can you, Heathen, or anyone else help me I.D. what model, year and engine size they fit?

19. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Y-block Fenton Headers are stamped “RH 0708” and “LH 0708”. The box indicates they are for 1954 Mercurys (auto and manual trans) and for 1954 Fords (auto only). I haven’t tried to fit them on my ‘55 Mercury (with auto trans), yet. But, the right side looks to be a direct bolt up to the oem exhaust pipe. The left side header is a little longer with a slight curve at the end compared to the stock manifold. Though, it looks to be a clear fit around the stock steering box. The exhaust pipe on that side might fit with a simple shortening. But, will more likely need a little reshaping, too.
    Hope this helps! :)

jimmy six, Ratmother and loudbang like this.
  20. titus

titus

Thanks for all the great input on this thread, great history from a great company, i think what people were referring to on the rebranding intakes is when Fenton bought out Edmunds, This was prob 15 years ish prior to you being there, i wish you were there to set the story strait, Fenton was supose to have boughten out Edmunds, sold worthwhile remaining stock, then rebranding patterns (this i know for sure as i have identical intakes with Edmunds and fenton intakes just differnt logos, along with Y-block valave covers and im sure a few others) then a bunch of edmunds stuff was melted down and turned into mag wheels! I believe all above that i stated is true as ive read it in many places along with what had happened to Eddie Edmunds, lots of people over the years have knocked edmunds and fenton stuff but i like both product lines. neat stuff !

heres fenton and edmunds y-block valve covers, i dont have pics but i have matching fenton and edmunds y-block 3x2 intakes too
    1220102212.jpg MVC-119S.JPG MVC-120S.JPG
    heres a fenton 4x2 which is the same casting as a sharp intake
    downsized_0110040840.jpg
    and the most common fenton intake, which ive see cast as prob 20 different incarnations
    downsized_1115031958.jpg

21. Who cares if his name is Finklestein, or Fenton. He produced many a variety of parts that we could afford. My roadster has Fenton staggered hole SBC valve covers, Fenton tri-power intake, Fenton engine adapter, Fenton fuel block, and the rare at the time, chrome plated Fenton SBC exhaust manifolds. They are now being re-popped. Yes, Fenton products were not top of the line, but it let many of us get into the hot rod scene. When I had a choice, I did what many of us did then, buy what we could afford. I'm happy with what I have.

Driver50x, Cosmo49, KiWinUS and 9 others like this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'd rather know the legend *&* the true history. Both are usually rather interesting, w/the truth taking 1st place, often, "you just can't make this stuff up". :D . Listening to people spout n repeat B.S. as actual history gets old. That's why some folks care...
    Marcus...

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I bought my 57 BelAir in 1970 it had a Fenton shifted three speed, the only Fenton product I've ever owned, it seemed to work ok but I couldn't wait to replace it with the T-10 and Hurst Comp. Plus. shifter.

Deuces likes this.
  24. realsteeler

realsteeler

Any one have pics of Fenton 235 valve cover? Thanks in advance.

loudbang likes this.
  25. frank spittle

frank spittle

Does anyone know the year Fenton opened? Was it late '40s or early '50s?

loudbang likes this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Both Edmunds and Fenton co-existed back in the day however Fenton bought out Edmonds in 1959/60. Edmunds Custom was in business from about 1934 (Possibly earlier) until purchased by Fenton, the original Edmonds line was renamed along with some new products.
    Circa 1935, low-rise intakes by many of the aforementioned makers, plus newcomers like Navarro, Burns, Schultz, Fenton, Offenhauser, Freiman, Clark, and Lightning, to name a few, soon appeared.
    upload_2019-12-26_17-53-38.png
    References to FENTON are on pp. 86, 125, 284 (Below) and 338

upload_2019-12-26_17-55-12.png

upload_2019-12-26_18-1-1.png

AHotRod, Elcohaulic, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

Here's the first photo lightened up a bit. :)

1.jpg

Elcohaulic, Deuces, 1947knuck and 3 others like this.
  28. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The first magazine ads are in mid- '53.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Lanny White

Lanny White

loudbang likes this.
  30. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I'm looking at a set if Fenton heads right now for my Flathead and wondering if I should get them. Kind of pricey but they do look to be in nice shape. I'm just looking for something different and vintage. What do you think?