Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just noticed this last night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I agree about the hum. That's one of the reasons I was asking. I'm glad to hear that the vintage ones are reliable. Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  2. Mart

Mart

fwiw I use mech pumps in all my cars. I use an electric pump as a primer to aid startups after standing, but the mech pump does all the normal work.

TomT, nunattax and olscrounger like this.
  3. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That's a great idea thanks. I like the look of the mech pump so that's like the best of both worlds.

1947knuck likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

TIME TO BUY A HIGH QUALITY TORQUE SPANNER ,learn how to use it properly and take care of it so it wont happen again.bubba gets around.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I actually did just buy one although not the cause of what happened but still a necessity. I wish it was just a broken stud but more of a bubba move than I ever could have imagined.

1947knuck and nunattax like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ARP do head bolt sets in high tensile stainless.im a big fan of their stuff!.pricey but a great investment IMO.

7. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I agree but pricey is an understatement. I'd like to get them but at $500 bucks I'm going to risk using the regular ones. I'd be more likely to use the ARP studs on moving parts like the crank. They are great though. If I build a motor at some point I will be using them for sure.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sounds good.what way do you plumb the electric pump

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice car Stephen! Just read through the thread and you have a neat project there.
    If I may. . . Please have someone who knows how to weld make up the engine stand to exhaust flange piece. You do not want your flatty to flatten your legs and/ or feet!
    I run an electric fuel pump on my flathead, I plumbed the line from the electric pump right into the mechanical pump. This set up works great on my car. Good luck, Ron

1947knuck, DenK and Stogy like this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

expensive on a flatty because there is a lot of hardware needed

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thank you and thanks for the advice. I do have someone who can weld very well. I definitely don't want it to have it fall. I do like the idea of the mechanical pump with the electric one too. I think for now I'm just going to get it running with the electric pump first. Then when everything is dialed in I'll replumb it with the mechanical one. Only reason is I already have it all set up and I don't want to do too many things at once.

1947knuck likes this.
  12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I here you on that. If it wasn't just a stock motor I would spend the extra cash. At least I think it's stock but I'm really not sure. I mean it had 3x2s and some fancy heads on it so it might be more than I think. Maybe if I'm lucky it has a 3/4 cam. I guess I'll find out once it's running. I wish it was sold to me with those heads but sadly it was not. I'm trying to find something cool right now. I could run the Offys off my old motor but I want something a little better or even in better shape. I'm looking at a pair of new polished Offys right now I might get if I don't see something else. Money. money, money.;)

13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Words of wisdom - Multiple changes are hard to trouble shoot - Make a minimum number of changes, establish a base line and "tune" from there.

upspirate, wheeldog57 and nunattax like this.
  14. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks. You're absolutely right. Right now I'm already dealing with a new motor and 3 new Strombergs. Thats enough to keep me occupied for now.

1947knuck likes this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Got my transmission all cleaned up and ready for paint. I also decided not to rebuild my carbs and go with the new black Stromberg 97s. When I took mine off I found out that two of them were 48s. I could rebuild them but when I saw the new black ones I fell in love with them. I shouldn't have to much trouble selling mine. I think the black motor and black carbs with polished intake and heads will look killer. Oh so I'll be selling my heads soon too. Just in case anyones interested. Here's a picture of the black carbs.:cool: DSC_6980-e1349948034573.jpg

16. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I just want to thank @wheeldog57 and wish you luck with the heads. Looking forward to seeing them on your Flathead. It was a pleasure doing business with you and nice meeting you.:)

1947knuck and patmanta like this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Thank you Stephen. Nice meeting you too. Wish I could have seen the 29 but spring will be here before we know it and you'll be driving it!

18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

After talking with Charlie Price at Vintage Speed I've decided to rebuild my carbs after all. I sent them to him last week and now I'm just waiting for him to receive them and tell me the best way to go forward. He did say he can powder coat them black so I'm pretty excited about that. I would of rebuilt them myself but after watching his videos I felt he was the man for the job. I'm going to get a few other things from him as well. Progressive linkage, fined air cleaners and a set or polished Offy heads. I can't wait to see them on the new motor. Hopefully soon.:cool:

19. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So "UPS" should be called "OOPS". Charlie just called me and said the box my carbs were in was all banged up and one of the carbs is damaged. Dropped right on the fuel inlet an broke the case. At least Charlie has plenty of them in stock. Glad I got the extra insurance. Definitely want to get paid for this B.S. Charlie has pictures he's going to send me. I'll post them when I get them.

1947knuck likes this.
  20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad he's got a replacement. Some of the folks @ the various shipping services are good people who try to do a good job, but some just plain don't give a fuck.
    97 carbs aren't quite to the unobtanium status yet but getting close enough to try and package as near indestructable as possible.

1947knuck, olscrounger and nunattax like this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah, he has a crazy amount of stock on hand. As far as UPS goes I usually have good luck with them and will use them again. Even though I double wrapped each carb with bubble wrap and lined the box with more cardboard I still felt like I should have wrapped the box in bubble wrap and put that in a box. Next time I'll know better. I am glad I payed for the extra insurance though. I don't know yet if I'll use it. I guess it depends on what Charlie charges me for the part. I feel like it won't be much after talking to him on the phone. I will at least let UPS know what happened. I do like them better than FedEx and I never use the USPS. I don't recommend anybody else use the USPS either.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Winfield SU 1R is a good cam also SU1A

23. Sounds like you've been getting a lot done brother!!

24. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Wish it was more but I'm happy with the progress.

25. Yeah but you're moving forward and that's a good thing :D

Stephen Barrett likes this.
  26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks I just checked out some info on them. I found a lot of good info on the fordbarn.com. I'm not really looking for a cam right now but in the future I will keep them in mind.

1947knuck likes this.
  27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Next is switch over my flywheel from the old motor to the new one. Then I bolt the tranny on and drop it all in. Can't wait to see it in there.:)

28. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Stephen,
    Just read through your thread. Nice car and your replacement motor should be a good place to get you back on the road while you sort out weather the other motor is repairable or a nice donor of parts.

I’m sorry that I’m a 2.5 hour drive away but have an engine stand adapter for the flathead if you need one. PM me and we can make arrangements.

Unless I missed something, you sold your old heads, did you get something to replace them with? I have run stock heads but found a pair of the elusive Weiand cheater heads this past year that I’m going to swap onto my motor.

Following the build and enjoying it.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So today I took off the oil pan on my old motor and got the clutch off. I wanted to take off the flywheel but the bolts were a bitch. I had a breaker bar but didn't have a 11/16'' 1/2'' drive socket and the 1/4'' drive wasn't cutting it. I'm working on it in a storage unit so I didn't have all the tools I needed. I think I'm going to pick up a battery operated impact wrench and see how that works too. I also want to thank @Cliff Ramsdell for offering up a Flathead adapter and engine stand. I really appreciate it. That helps me out so much. Becoming a HAMB member has been the best thing. Everybody on here has been so helpful. My faith in humanity has been restored. I wish I had more to share with you all but I will soon. Being on here has really given me the motivation I need to "git 'er done" :)

1947knuck and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  30. YOU ARE. HEEAALLED !
    Actually, glad to hear it.
    Hope the rest of this adventure goes well for you.

Stephen Barrett likes this.