Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A spring hangers on a 9 inch Ford rear question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishsteve, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Has anyone ever put bolt on model A spring hangers on a 9 inch Ford rearend? I have seen bolt on A mounts for putting 40 Ford rears in the model A,but not later rears.If no one makes them I was thinking of making a L shaped bracket that would use the top two bolts on the housing flange plus one of the lower.I could then take the 40 Ford bolt on unit,and trim to fit the L bracket,and weld them together giving me a bolt on mount for the 9 inch Ford.I know there are aftermarket A spring hangers that weld on the top of the tube,but I hate the idea of putting more heat to the tube for fear of warping a brand new housing.Anyone ever try doing this?

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

You're going to have to weld on mounts for shocks & either ladder bars or 4 link, so why not weld on the spring hangers & straighten the housing when you're done .

HemiDeuce, Hnstray and deathrowdave like this.
  3. Canuck

Canuck

Welder Series make a nice mount to put the spring behind the axle. Nicely made and easy shipping to the US.

See page 26 in their on-line catalog: https://www.welderseries.com/

Used one to mount the rear axle in my A coupe. Used a 41 Merc front spring. Gave a good ride with the flatter and longer spring.

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  4. lake_harley

lake_harley

I put an 8" Ford under my '31 Coupe. The distance between the brake backing plates was a bit too close to use the full width Model A spring, so I had St. Louis Spring cut the spring off a little bit on both sides and re-roll the eyes. Then welded brackets somewhat similar to this
    to the rearend https://www.est1946.com/modelareaspringhangers.aspx Maybe too much trouble for the end result, but I felt it worked out OK.

Lynn

Asphalt Angel and deathrowdave like this.

5. That was another concern...having enough room for the spring on a rear housing thats 52 inches flange to flange.A model T spring is a inch shorter so thats a possibility.

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What distance are you using for the spring perch centers?

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used Bronco under my 32 , with P&J spring /Ladder Bar mount . As stated stock spring was a bit wide and would hit the backing plates . I had the eyes cut and rerolled to correct length . All is well for thousands of miles

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As Pete said, when you weld the rest of the brackets on the housing, it will require straitening. This one got the weld on spring hangers, but I didn't take pictures of the complete setup. IMG_7873.JPG

9. Havent gotten to the install point yet,but have read that the A spring centers are 49-1/2 and the T is 48-1/2.Reality may be different when I have a spring in hand.