Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAMB Shift Knob Charity Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brsturges, Jan 8, 2020.

1. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

The Back Story

It never ceases to amaze me how many great people we have here on the HAMB. I admittedly don't know most of the members here, but from time to time I come across someone that really impresses me for one reason or another. Most recently, I had the pleasure of getting to know Tony (@mcmopar ) here on the HAMB.

I had subscribed to a thread where people were looking to trade their HAMB shift knobs for potentially a more meaningful number than they may have been randomly assigned. Tony posted that he would be willing to trade his 32 knob for "something cool" or another knob. I have some 32 rails set aside for my next project and I thought having a 32 knob would be really cool. I immediately messaged him expressing an interest in trading his 32 for my 53. I didn't get an immediate response so I started sweetening the pot. Still no response, so I decided to look up some of Tony's posts to see what he might think was cool. Man, was I amazed when I started seeing some of his posts.

You can tell a lot about a person based on their posts on the HAMB. Reading Tony's posts, it became clear to me that this guy was truly selfless and amazingly generous. For example, he donated a Hemi engine FOR FREE to a young guy looking to build a cool old car. At one point, he was giving away the coveted HAMB tag toppers to the next few people who became Alliance Members. Here was a guy literally giving away his valuables for the betterment of our community. Truly impressive and inspiring. Imagine what our world would look like if most people conducted themselves like Tony does.

So my last plea to Tony was an offer to make a donation to the charity of his choice if he would agree to the trade. He responded and told me he would trade me straight up, and that there is no need for me to make the donation. But then something crazy happened. I sent him my address but he wasn't sending me his in return. He finally responded saying basically he's happy with his series 3 #37 knob, and that I shouldn't worry about sending mine to him. I was speechless. All I could say was "thank you", but I told him I wanted to do something charitable with the #53 knob. I asked for him to name a charity that was close to his heart and he mentioned https://www.kidneyfund.org/. That was all I needed to hear.

The Auction

So here's the deal. On this thread, post your bids for the #53 shift knob. The bidding will start at $100. Bidding increments must be at least $10 more than the previous bid. By bidding, you agree to donate to The Kidney Fund the amount of your bid if you end up as the highest bidder. After 30 days of exposure, the bidding will end. To be clear, no more bids will be accepted after February 8, 2020 at 9pm EST. On February 9, the winner will be announced. They will provide me proof of their donation, and I will send them the shift knob. Ryan has graciously agreed to make this thread a sticky as well, so hopefully it gets a lot of views and bids. If you missed out on getting one of these knobs this time around, who knows when the next set will be made? Here is your chance to not only get a knob, but get one with a great HAMB story behind it.

This auction is clearly not going to change the world. But I for one vow to make a concerted effort this year and beyond to conduct myself more like Tony would with respect to our HAMB community. And hopefully this inspires others to do the same. Tony, thank you again for your generosity.

Brad

A875D442-57C6-4E5C-8D8B-5A77DA5C8774.jpeg

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 140

and no, your bid should be your donation. With matching bids accepted.
    High bid wins the knob.

4. Clarify who's doing the auction please?

Peter Nowak likes this.
  5. Just my suggestion

ironrodder likes this.
  6. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Peter, I considered that but decided against it. Maybe next time.

To be clear, the rules are outlined in the original list and control. Thanks for the bids, everyone!

straykatkustoms and Peter Nowak like this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. utahdodge

utahdodge

10. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

$180 good luck to all a great cause

brsturges likes this.
  11. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

12. Poparod

Poparod

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

14. Poparod

Poparod

Saxman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Poparod

Poparod

I was born in ‘53, thus this number has some meaning to me. So all you members who are about to turn 67 might try to outbid me!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brsturges likes this.
  16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

My dad just bought a really nice 1953 Ford Crestline 2 years ago, so get your wallet out.

Tony

dan31 and brsturges like this.
  17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

$220.00

Its a good cause.

18. dan31

dan31

I'm in for $230.00

19. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I didn't think of it when I bid but if anyone has a problem with me bidding I will withdraw my bid, no harm no foul.
    Tony

47ragtop and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Tony, this auction is in your honor, and I think you have as much of a right as anyone (if not more) to bid.

Now for the rest of you, don’t be intimidated by Tony’s presence in the bidding. We all win as the bidding increases. It’s for a good cause! Outbid the man!

hotrodjack33 and Thor1 like this.
  22. $260 and Tony still gets the Knob

INVISIBLEKID, dan31, 245coop and 3 others like this.
  23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I dont know what to say but Thanks. Here is my dad at George Rays last May. 1st trip in my 37 with my Dad. What a blast. 20190518_184824.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

whtbaron and jim snow like this.
  25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rickybop, dan31 and brsturges like this.
  26. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I didn't expect that, and I appreciate it very much. I hope the bidding continues, it really is a good cause. Good luck to everyone on this.
    Tony

27. Poparod

Poparod

Time to move this along. . .

$300

The challenge goes out to our vintage ‘53 members. Take it away from me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rickybop, hotrodjack33 and Thor1 like this.
  28. 9Manchu

9Manchu

Personally I can't think of a better thread for a first time post. When I have more time I'll make my second a formal introduction.

$500

29. Hell yeah! Welcome to the HAMB ol boy, that's coming in with a bang!