Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gabriel air shock compressor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carver Kemle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

I have Gabriel hi jacker air shocks in the back of my 52 styleline. I am trying to add an onboard compressor kit. Recommendations? I was looking at airlift 25804. Though i do not want it to take it forever to fill them when needed. Any help is appreciated

2. Air shocks have an extremely small capacity. Will only take them a moment to fill up the regardless of what compressor you're using.

3. suedestude

suedestude

Gabriel makes a pump kit. comes with lines a little compressor and a gauge. I have mine so I can change the psi as I drive. I have used a couple of these works very well.

4. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

Thats great for some reason when i look on the website i dont find a compressor kit.

5. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

Do you find airshocks work well with your application?

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I installed Firestone overload air bags on my OT lowrider Silverado. I also installed their compressor (fit behind the seat on my standard cab) and bought the wireless remote set up. Still works perfect. I can fill one side at a time to level the load or set it to 20 pounds for everyday driving and it maintains pressure. With the remote I can stand behind or along side the truck and level it without hassle. The remote has pressure readings and balance indicators.

Nice little compressor and not too noisy. May be more than you are looking for.

7. suedestude

suedestude

Now that I have had time to pull my head out of my ass. It was not a Gabriel kit. Iam going to my shop later today Ill get the name of the manufacturer. I do use Gabriel shocks with the kit. sorry!

8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I use one out of an o/t olds toranado, works really well.

Carver Kemle likes this.
  9. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

No problem please let ne know

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I figured this thread would be closed for being OT. I'm surprised it's still alive.

11. suedestude

suedestude

ok I found the box at my shop. Its called air supply electric ride control system made by Monroe. It works on all air shocks. I could not find a part number on the box.

12. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

Ok thanks

13. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

What is OT?

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Off Topic. This site is for 65 & earlier hot rod & custom cars, and I don't believe air shocks and on board compressors were part of that era. Note, I'm not complaining about this, I'm just surprised somebody else hasn't ratted you out and had this thread shut down. Some guys get all upset easily. Best of luck to you with your project.

15. Rich S.

Rich S.

qicvick, catdad49 and Carver Kemle like this.
  16. Carver Kemle

Carver Kemle

17. Rich S.

Rich S.

I’ve only used air shocks for pulling a trailer and fill them with a air hose. Sorry. IMG_3442.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

19. Rich S.

Rich S.

According to what I’ve read, they did use air suspension.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Air shocks came with 1964 Chevelle El Caminos as a stock factory item. They were the first gen models for a fresh off the factory build assembly line. Those air shocks were filled from an air inlet screwed into the small panel behind the passenger side seat.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chevrolet-el-camino-thread.995126/page-2#post-13329989

When the El Camino came from the factory, there was only an inlet air valve. It got to be a hassle not knowing how much air was in the rear shocks at any time. So, I found a company that made gauges for all sorts of applications and they had the perfect one for the Chevrolet factory air shock.
    upload_2020-1-7_6-4-1.png

Jnaki
    upload_2020-1-7_6-3-42.png
    The gauge fit directly under the panel with the air valve cap on the surface of the small package tray. This gauge saved many extra trips to the gas station for exact readings. If not enough air was in the shocks, the ride was awful. No loads could be put in the back without the nose going up in the air and the handling becoming awful to unsafe.

Any over inflation of the air shocks could blow out the seals when overloaded with stuff in the back of the El Camino. The gauge was as accurate as those accessory air valve pens. They were good additions to having a comfortable ride in an El Camino loaded or unloaded. (The El Camino, not you.)

Yes, air bag suspension is off topic and not allowed as per HAMB rules. Since the stock Chevrolet factory supplied the new (then 1964) El Camino with two rear air shocks, it is allowable to talk and show photos of those set ups. The air ride suspensions were another ball game.

With the successful application of those early factory air shocks, more advances took place. Big companies started to flood the market with their own air shocks as the factory ones did blow seals with overloading episodes. Then those "up in the air" fake gas coupes and sedans came on the market after 1965 and took the air shocks to extremes.

Despite the numerous stories of those fake gas coupes and sedans, those were off topic for the HAMB pre 65 rules. If the compressor is for adjusting the factory style air shocks in the original application or later rear shocks, it should be OK.

If we had a small compressor behind the El Camino seat, that would have made the trips to the gas station null and void. Just hit the button and the factory air shocks would have pumped up the rear bed instantly. Good for instant loading at any time.

Rich S. likes this.
  21. Rich S.

Rich S.

Thanks for the info. I never knew that about the El Camino.

jnaki likes this.