Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 wagon gas tank removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Anybody done it? Can get the damn thing to roll out of the spare tire carrier because it's hitting the rear end. I've raised the car up and down, removed the sending unit. Just won't fit between the rear and the tire carrier. Help!

2. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Look on trifive.com, lots of help on there. Been so long ago I can't remember.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

3. 6B41AD9C-E72F-453F-989C-1CF348D0D0C7.gif

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Well...what did it take , the fire wrench? Removing the rear end? The shackles? Or just wiggling it just right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I had to cut the spare tire well out lol. Which was rusted pretty bad anyhow.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Mine came out easily with no spare well removal

8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

In a wagon? I had to do what the book says to remove the tank from my nomad.
    Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Clik

Clik

I think I had to swing the rear down If I remember correctly. I try to forget the pain in the ass jobs I've done on my cars.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Remove the shocks so the rear end drops down more (just pay attention to the rubber brake line so it does't get stretched)??? Just a little FYI: if you plan on racing the car at all, with the stock rear end (or even "aggressive" driving), then re-weld the spring mounts to the axle housing their full length on each side of the mounts. Stock, they are only spot welded in three places on each side of the mount, and it's fairly weak. Even in the Stock Classes, the spot welds could/did break, allowing the rear end housing to rotate. In a wagon (except the 9 passenger wagons), the rotating rear end/third member would tear into the gas tank; hot exhaust and spilled fuel could spell disaster.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.