Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock TR1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eh!Bob, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I just got offered an old Edelbrock TR1 tunnel ram ( bread box ) And am wondering if they are as bad as look ? I read a lot of horror stories about them blowing up etc , but just wonder if anyone has first hand experience with one ?

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I saw a couple back in the day with problems. I also saw them run just fine.
    Yes, they ARE big empty buckets just waiting for a bad tuneup. read that rich running, hard starting, dumping fuel into the lower part of the box
    But again, I've seen them run well...for the day..!

One way to protect yourself is to fill the lower part of the box. Epoxy, bondo, sheet aluminum and weld in place... you pick.

They are relatively short runners, so you'd better have a quick revving engine, a lot of gear, or just need high rpm power.

Need detail..!
    Is this for racing, the street. Engine, car...etc., etc.
    It won't work well in a 4200lb, small Chevy, Monte Carlo, with 3.55 gears and a 2000rpm converter..!!
    See how details might mean something..?

Mike

3. Fordors

Fordors

My wife’s cousin has one on a 350, with a solid lifter Crower cam and two 1850’s with direct linkage. It’s in a ‘31 Tudor and pulls real strong with a M-21 and 3.55 gears.
    After a road trip to OKC he had the top off and there was about a 1/2” of gas sitting in the plenum. That could be a potential bomb with a backfire. Edelbrock did make a filler for the TR-1 that would eliminate the puddling problem and reduce the plenum volume. The smaller plenum might help the bottom end.

Deuces and swade41 like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the early 70's a friend of mine had one on a 327/ two Holleys in a T-bucket and I remember him spending quite a bit of time dialing it all in but boy did that thing scoot.

Deuces and nosford like this.

5. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

If you don't want it I'd be interested in purchasing it. @Eh!Bob

6. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I have not picked it up yet , but I bought it from a buddy it comes with 2 390 holley carbs and linkage . I did some research on this tunnel ram and I guess edelbrock made a plate to" fill the puddle area in the bottom " If any one has pics are more info on modifying the TR1 tunnel ram that would be great !

Deuces likes this.
  7. raven

raven

If you choose to fill in the empty areas in the lower potion , you can extend it the fill to the top of the lower half and thereby extending the runner length. That’s what I’m doing with mine.
    t

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

A 327 in a T bucket has always been a hand full. A 300 hp T Bucket and a 550 hp chevelle will run about the same hp to weight and the T will break less stuff. Weight loss is usally the cheapest Horse power.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that there were a few magazine articles about filling the lower part of the box and doing some other mods to make them safer and work better back years ago.

A bit of reading says that the early ones had that pocket in the lower half while the redesigned later versions didn't.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  10. david_s914

david_s914

Anyone have any pics or suggestions on how to do this ?? I have acquired a TR1 that has not been filled and does not have the plate in it. Looking for ideas.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.