Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T-bucket brakes (brake pedal/ Master cylinder mount)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Revamping my Total-T the original steering and brake setup was not just ugly, but scary.
    I have steering mounted, but now looking at brakes.
    I'd like to keep with the MC under the floor and not on the firewall.
    Considering making something to mount the pedal outside the frame rail, then transfer the motion inside via some rods and levers.

Anyone have some cool space saving setups they'd show pics of?
    Trying to find a way to shove 10 lbs of poo in a 5lb bag, yet keep it simple and clean

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Pedal outside the frame may not have enough room to the left ?? What didn't you like about the TP setup ?

dana barlow likes this.
  3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Gearhead, you might want to check out edwardlloyd's Babushka T thread. He used a pedal booster and master from a Smart car seems pretty compact and pedal comes up from the floor.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Check out californiaCustomRoadsters site , good pictures of pedal & m/ c bracket

dana barlow likes this.

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Got a bunch of pictures I've saved. don't know if they will help but sometimes when I see different setups I can usually take some ideas from them and make them work for me.

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I did that on my 66 Suburban, when I built the tubular front subframe I converted it to floor mount brake pedal with master cylinder on outboard side.

20190429_181535.jpg 20200105_134533.jpg

Shadow Creek, dana barlow and OFT like this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

164F6F49-0CD1-4BFE-AC4B-31B0D9D192CB.jpeg
    This might help. Model A pedal assembly and mc mounted under passenger side floorboard

dana barlow likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Too help with ideas;
    When I helped my son do his T-Bucket,getting seat,steering wheel/column/box and pedals all in just the right place for good feel,was careful fit,played mockup many times,tell all was nice feel and windshield high worked too< this matters for a given driver/not others. Not' one size fits all*{ but turned out too fit nicely both of us,Lance is 5'10" an I'm 6' 200lbs. Many buckets don't fit our size well. I been in a number that felt like I sat on it,vs in it.
    The brake pedal trick I used,was use a wide powerbrake pedal/mounted so pedal is centered behind in pic/ahead of steering column= you can work brake with ether right or left foot. Really works well. The pedal is mounted off set on arm/arm is strong arm 1/2in thick/not a thin 1/4in. as seen in some. What doing it that way gives you,beside a good use pedal,is that arm can be ether side you like of column/an that makes it EZer to fine room for set up under floor when making your own.
    IMG_0516.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The one on the car was literally 3 pieces of 4 inch angle chopped and cobbled. Pedal so far out that the gas pedal had to be up on top the trans hump. Ergonomics of the car were horrible.
    Pedal on the outside wont leave much room, just looking for ideas,

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Under cowl was the initial plan. But with a 7 inch cowl, and needing room for guages in the dash it quickly ran out of room. I keep trying to stash SOMETHING under the cowl, but on a bucket thats almost impossible. Might end up with a little glove box.

Busy day at work, ive drawn out some ideas to mount the pedal outside the frame, and then linkage the action to the MC on the inside the frame. Next shop day ill be seeing how I can build it. Best thing about that frame, its same size as a 2x4, so sacrifical lumber instead of the real car

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Make sure the pivoting levers on your linkage on either side of the frame are indexed so they can't go over center and use components that give the smoothest operation such as rod ends.
    Use replaceable bushings on the thru-frame "jackshaft" pivot, either Oilite or a high wearing plastic bushing such as Delrin.
    If regular brass bushings are used there needs to be a zerk fitting to lube the pivot shaft.

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Any leads on bushing/bearing type material would be appreciated.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  15. If I did mine over I was going to make a dogleg off the outside of the frame and just move my current under floor pedal assembly over to it, then use a couple through frame brake line fittings to get the brake lines back on the inside of the frame.

20200107_001134.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

@swade41 , thats not a bad idea at all. I dont have enough room for the frame to be kicked out that far. Really just enough room for a pedal.

Going to the salvage yard Thursday to pilfer some parts. Have most of it in my head aside from some bushings and some sort of keyed jack shaft. We will see...

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

One more thought, look at the kits for installing a B engine in a Model A. Bert's probably has one D6AE9EF1-6F42-468C-BC12-7C3682FD185A.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020