Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Are you referring to a gas tank? Really only depends on the gauge of metal to me. It'll be painted properly before being installed. And it needs to hold gas lol. And of course it's made by small children, because they can fit their smaller hands inside of the tank to do intricate work. I'm not interested in paying $500 for something to do those same things

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lloyd, sorry I just believe in the old adage "you get what you pay for". As a result, I don't use any Chinese parts on my builds. Its not worth getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
    Your car, your money, your choice.

OahuEli likes this.
  3. Oh i know what you're saying gman, who's to say that the more expensive part isn't made in the same place, and because it's sold by a big name vendor, the price is marked up to put the coin in their pocket? But hopefully once i get my tank out of the car to inspect it, it'll be in good shape.

4. Do you have some close up pictures on how they attached these panels to the body? I might do this conversion to mine...

loudbang likes this.
  5. I
    20200106_140427.jpg 20200106_140447.jpg

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Any gas tank thats primered or painted is definitely made in China. If it were me I'd buy a Spectra made in Canada tank.

scotty t likes this.
  7. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I assumed the same thing when I was building my 57 four door wagon that has been sitting for 35 years. Spent $150-200 on a new Canadian made spectra tank. When I dropped original tank I looked in it and it was flawless, then a friend of mine gave me another original wagon tank in good shape as well. I would recommend that you take a look in your tank before you spend the money. If it turns out you need a tank I can ship you one of my extras.

8. raymay

raymay

Welcome and enjoy your build. I saw your 57 had a Wagon tailgate and then read that someone had turned the Wagon into a Sedan Delivery. One of my friends here has a nice 57 Delivery and he painted the side panels a mirror black. It is funny how many people walk up to his car and try to look inside thinking it is a dark tinted glass. I told him he should have some ghost images airbrushed to look like there is someone inside. Maybe a couple rowdy kids sticking their tongues out or picking their noses.
    I went a different direction with my 56 Chevy 2dr 210 Wagon and did a custom ElCamino conversion. The friend with the 57 is now doing a similar conversion with another 57 Wagon he has.

9. I'm kinda dumb to the tri 5 Chevy world. My good friend has a few of them so i generally aggravate him when i have a question but from what I've read my tank is specific to the 2dr wagon or nomad? He owns the 56 nine passenger sitting in my shop, he told me they don't even make a tank for it? I'm gonna pull it out of the car in a few minutes so I'll know shortly if I'm gonna need a new one :D

loudbang likes this.
  10. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

The four door nine passengers are the only ones with a different tank because they have a different floor for the footwells for the back seat and I believe he is correct that they are not repopped. All the other wagons (Nomads, 2doors, and 6 pass 4doors) use the same tank. It is kind of a horseshoe shaped to fit around the spare tire well.

I am a relatively young guy into trifives at 30, and when I bought my wagon 7 years ago I didn't know much about them, but I submerged myself into the trifive world and learned a lot about them. One thing I recommend is get yourself a Danchuk catalog. You don't have to buy any parts from them but the catalog is a great resource even if you are buying used stuff. Take your gas tank for example not sure what body styles or years interchange? Look up gas tanks in the ol Danchuk catalog and it will clearly show what interchanges with what. They also include various pictures and diagrams that can help you identify different parts and a thorough id section in the back with lots of great information.

11. Thanks man, I'll get me one :D

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were was that Scandinavian gas tank band video posted? I'll go search. Bob

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Gman may have a point if you end up having to buy a new tank. The cheap repop that came in my ‘56 when I bought it leaks at the pickup/sender and after three tries, it still leaks if I fill up the tank. I’m tired of dicking with it so I just don’t fill it up, right now I’ve got bigger fish to fry.
    Cool thread, fun to watch someone else crawl through the same obstacle course I did. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. After finally removing the spare tire well, the tank is out. Needs a good acetone soak but it's good. And a new sending unit, but I'm happy. Pain in the ass to get out :rolleyes: 20200106_190238.jpg

loudbang and malibumonte78 like this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

No physical damage to yourself????????? You are progressing!

16. Just a headache from old gas smell and some dirty hands :rolleyes: that was a bastard. The spare tire well was rusty anyway, so i cut it out. Doubtful it will go back in. Roll some beads in a piece of 18g and rock it out. Still got all my fingers:cool: 20200106_194625.jpg

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SWEEEETTT! Now on to the next phase... :cool: Did you get the gas pedal hooked up?

18. Hell yeah man! You're gonna love this :D Went to the parts house, they didn't have one of them universal throttle cable sets, so i bought a new battery, a piece of hose to run to the brake booster, and they had lugnuts to fit the cragar's. So.... gulp..... i took a piece of paracord and tied it on to start the car :Dlol.... and i mounted the fuse box. Ain't finished with the wiring but i needed it out of the floor lol. Everything was going good, until i realized i have one plug wire burnt in half. I'll pick up a new set tmrw. 20200106_205006.jpg 20200106_205058.jpg

OahuEli, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. I love the stance of this car.... 20200106_210225.jpg

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Should have used a coat hanger instead of the cord. More traditional.:D

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Son! I hope you got a Patent on that throttle linkage!!! I can see ten's of thousand's of people getting rich off of that and leavin' good 'ol Lloyd out in the cold! :D I guess that the " high heat protection" lettering on the plug wire"s is all Bullshit!!! :rolleyes: LOL!!!

22. I looked this shop over for a coat hanger or an old door latch rod lol. Not too torn up over it, I've gotta switch that carb out still.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Soon!

24. Lol im in no hurry big guy ;) It runs with that Corvette Rochester :D

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Check Auto City Classic for a gas tank, they usually have very good pricing
    Guess I should have finished reading before posting this :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  26. Thanks man, i think im gonna be good with the original, just gotta stick a new sender in it.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get any fuel lines run today, or were you busy with other projects?

28. Wassup Jedd! Nope! Put plug wires on it, pulled the thermostat away. Fired it up and backed it out of the garage, let it sit there and idle for a half hour. 60psi oil pressure, 170 degrees. Brakes work great down the driveway, (my driveway is a quarter mile) I'll get the tank cleaned up and put back in this weekend. Gotta order that sending unit. I worked all day on the 39 Chevy.

29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kick Ass Man! Sounds like you got yourself a pretty solid engine. Sorry, CORVETTE engine! LOL! This saga just keeps getting better and better! You got a 39 too... SWEEEEET!!!

30. No the 39 is a customer build. All me has is the wagon :D

chryslerfan55, 61Cruiser and loudbang like this.