Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THE HIGHWAYMEN, THE FILM.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41 GMC K-18, Jan 6, 2020.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THE HIGHWAYMEN.jpeg

I just finished watching the 2019 NETFLIX film " The Highwaymen "

If you have already seen it, then you will know what I am talking about. If you haven't seen it, I can highly recommend it.

This is the story of the two Texas Rangers that tracked down Bonnie and Clyde. The story is true and this script is very well written and it gives the perspective from the law enforcement side.

Now the 1967 film " BONNIE & CLYDE " directed by Arthur Penn, will always be a classic, but this particular film is totally different from that film in every aspect, so don't fall prey to thinking that this is a remake of that film and that the style of that film is repeated in this film, it isn't. And I think that all of you H.A.M.B. members will be very pleasantly surprised at how good this film is.

This film is period correct, 1934, and the automobiles in this film are from that time period. The cinematographer in my opinion had to be a " CAR " guy, because in almost every scene, are the very cars and trucks that will make any of the H.A.M.B crowd simply drool with envy.

But its not just the element of the cars that we all like, that are in this film, its the amazing attention to detail of everything that you see in every scene. The rusty corrugated sheet metal on the roofs, the pop bottles, the choice of the rare Selmer Maccaferri acoustic guitar being played, the tractors, the buildings, the radios, the guns, the advertisement's, old worn out signs, etc.

The dialog between Harrelson and Costner, isn't wrecked by humor, its the conversations of two old friends that don't have to say a lot to get the point across.

This film is tastefully done, and I want to emphasize to all that are my age ( 66 ) and older, this film is literally a time machine, it will take you back to a lot of places that you have been in your life, as stated, this cinematographer is very tuned into attention to detail, and his skill and craftsmanship shows that he cared enough to get it right.

Its worth it to watch it to the very end and I mean all of the credits right to the very end.

This film is a sleeper, its been over looked, this film is one of those films that should be enjoyed at say places like El Mirage, Bonneville, or any hot rod reunion or gathering when gear heads are sitting around enjoying libations in the evening, car enthusiast's will enjoy this film. So will anybody that has been in law enforcement.

Dennis.

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Saw that movie awhile back and as you say well done. However, what struck me as odd is the set decorations. Kind of weird that four years into the depression everything has gone to hell! I can't believe that in for shortsyears everything has become rusty, paint peeling, delapidated, etc. It seems every depression era movie show the same "effects". Or otherwise the "quality" of the old days is just a myth.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I thought the highway men was a biker gang.....

55Belairman and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. You have to remember,,,,that down south,,,everything was almost dilapidated out in the country.
    That was why it got so wild after the crash,,,,,,abject poverty affects people differently.
    Some,,,,of the people felt like they had nothing to lose,,,,and they didn’t,,,except their lives.
    Also,,,,,those guys didn’t just start being in trouble then,,,,they had already been.

Don’t get me wrong,,,,,there were a lot of nice things when I was a kid,,,,but some rough looking stuff too,,,,it just depended on where you were at the time.

And besides,,,,it’s a movie,,,,,I’m just glad they got the cars right !

Tommy

chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That movie rocks. I´ve watched it twice and was floored aswell by the attention to detail. Great movie!

6. chevy3755

chevy3755

its a good flick....

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Hot Rods in it?

Blues4U and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Probably a boat load of 'future' hotrods in it.
    I'll watch it.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. 55Belairman

55Belairman

They are in our neighborhood.

deathrowdave and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. .have to check out this movie.....the Highwaymen was also a country group, Willie, Waylon, Christofferson, Cash,...if I remember right...

11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is precisely why I included the poster from the film so there would not be any confusion as to what this thread is about. I hope you all will enjoy the movie!

Dennis

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great show, I watched it a couple weeks ago.
    At the end of the movie they showed old photos that were taken back when Bonnie and Clyde were killed. I was surprised how the long shot of the road looked almost the same today as it did back then.

Or these guys......

highwaymen.jpeg Highwaymen1.jpg

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^^ I will take these Highwaymen over a movie any day

14. catdad49

catdad49

Great movie, now I'll have to watch it again!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Latigo

Latigo

Enjoyed the movie but kept waiting for Willie and the boys to show up!

16. I watched it this evening, good movie, thanks.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

I also thought that the movie was good. Here is my "poster". My great uncle was a detective that was killed by Bonnie and Clyde.
    Wanted poster.jpg

18. donno

donno

So far, I think I have seen all 17 of the Bonnie and Clyde car's in 10 places. Kinda Like Hitler's Mercedes, think I saw at least 10 of them.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  19. error404

error404
    from CA

I enjoyed this movie, just about everything about it :)

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My wife and I watch a lot of movies ,the ones that I have never heard of turn out the best . Hywaymen was a good movie, Lots of nice old cars to look at,a lot of junker stuff but still fun to look at. The inside of Barrows dads gas station would have been fun to go thru.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.