Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What am I missing with horn button

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whitewallwilly, Jan 5, 2020.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Guys
    I've fitted a 40 style steering wheel to a Lime works column,, the earth wire comes up thru the centre of the shaft,it has a bullet style terminal on the top end,Im guessing for a pigtail wire to plug into,,there is a spring that sits under horn button ,and the horn button pushes in and twists to fit into a steel retainer ring,,,
    I made a pigtail wire to go from the wire coming up thru the column,and screwed it to the underside of the horn button,but when I fit the button,the horn doesn't stop sounding,,
    I am missing something here,,any ideas or thoughts
    Cheers IMG_0262.JPG

2. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

The connector at the top of the steering shaft should have nothing attached to it. When you depress the horn button it should connect the connector to frame ground via the steering column. I have the same set up and I found my horn would not work as the metal plate was not making contact with the connector in the shaft.
    I just drilled and tapped a 10-32 screw hole and put a screw in it to drop the contact height.

loudbang and whitewallwilly like this.
  3. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks ,,will try

4. The horn button is basically a big, momentary switch. If the system is sounding without depressing the "button", something is closing the circuit somewhere.

5. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Phil,
    That links looks like it is the set up for the rotating joint (tube to shaft)down the steering column ,the part info I'm looking for is for we're the horn button goes into the steering column
    Cheers

6. I think you have all the Limeworks parts but the wire connector in the fifth photo.

Phil