Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My '50 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 22, 2019.

1. I've had good experiences here on the HAMB, good on Craigslist, reasonable on FB Marketplace but by far the most hinky dealings have been through Hemmings, go figure.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Dana, That is one sweet engine. HRP

catdad49 and dana barlow like this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Kinda sad, that deserves something other than a "LIKE" button.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Facebook has the largest percentage of idiots of any group, anywhere, period....... good luck with your sale Danny

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. With no dog in this hunt, I'm seeing the same things said here in magical HAMB world that he's been hearing out there in the 'CL/EBAY/FB' world. While the "I wish I could, but… no money/short on money, no room/space/time, too many projects right now, wife says no, too far away, blah, blah….." might sound better coming from friends, the bottom line is the car is still for sale.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

Wouldn't be if my lawyer would get it in gear

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree, to a point. They start at 1955 and go through 1957.

8. Bobby, I am the administrator of the '54 Ford Club of Americas website and while '54 Fords have never been considered the Belle of the ball, or current roster has a total of 779 members, for many years the car was considered Fords redheaded stepchild, along with the 52,53's

I believe there has always been a strong following with the 49-51 mainly because the aftermarket manufactures saw a demand a long time ago, much like EMS has done in the past 10 years by offering parts for the 52-54 Fords.

Time will tell what happens in the future. HRP

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You're right, only time will tell. My observations come from what I see in this area, 55-56 Fords outnumber 49-54 by about 10 to 1. 57's are probably 5 to 1. I've never been a big fan of most anything from 49 to 52, but there are a few done right that I do like. I like the 53-54 Ford, but almost never see one around here, you see a few Chevy's, but nowhere near as many 55-57's in either brand. I'm beginning to think there are now more 55-57 Chevys on the road than they even made!

HOTRODPRIMER and alanp561 like this.
  10. I looked for your Facebook marketplace add and it didn't come up. Did you take it down?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. No sir, she said it's still there. HRP

12. My daughter said it's listed under shoe box fords on fb.

Listed HERE on the Hamb. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Back up for Danny. Folks are missing out on a great deal here. Lots of cool car for the dollar .

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

Do people on Facebook even know what a shoe box Ford is??? I would think not!!!
    I would word it differently, like 1950 Ford 2 door, V-8, automatic for Sale.

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Danny, this a great looking car. The price is definitely ok. You will get it sold

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I have been following the car for some time now and would buy it but to ship it to Arizona puts it out of by budge

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will preface with the fact I am not a custom car guy, much more of a hot rodder. I also "WAS" never much of a fan of the Shoebox fords. In truth they were just to new for me. I have owned several Tri-Five Chevys, but never liked one enough to keep it. I also wonder why the 49-51 Fords are not more popular than there are. Well in a way not really a hard question to answer, they certainly have a few problems.

They are "NOT" supported by the after market like the Chevy's are that's for sure. There is no part for a tri five chevy that is not reproduced, hell you can build one today and not use a single original part not even a body as they are reproduced.

The Shoebox does not lend itself to an easy engine swap. There is no modern engine that hasn't been installed in one but it is not easy. That damn center link is a huge problem for most engine swaps into the 49-51 Ford's.

I never looked very hard at these old Fords until one day there was a thread here on the HAMB about sectioned cars. I casually looked at that thread, remember I am not a custom guy, and more than one of those sectioned cars were Shoebox Fords. I really like the way they looked and took a harder look at them at that time.

The shoebox Fords are not big cars, I always thought they were boats The are not. When you compare one with lets say a 1955 Chevy post car they are very close in spec's. Chevy has a curb weight of 3330 lbs, Shoebox 3110 lbs. Wheel base: 55 Chevy 115" Shoebox 114" In size these two are very close. So why is one the icon of Hot Rodding and the other the ugly ducking?

That questions is probably performance, the Chevy got the first Chevy V8 that went on to become the engine. The Shoebox had the flatty and you just cannot compare the two in a performance way .

I personally believe that the Shoebox is becoming more attractive to some folks ( I would be one of those guys) Right here in my Part of Alabama I know of 6 under construction now. If you consider Fords up to 1954 there are 14 of those around here. They will never ever replace those tri-Five chevys. But in that same vain I now own a 49 Coupe and unlike the 55-57 Chevys I have had I am going to keep this little feller.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    From a potential buyer’s eye view, your 50 Ford coupe is put together well and shows well. But, comparing it to @ladyhrp and the station wagon, your car needs a different attraction in color. When my brother had his first 1951 Olds Sedan, it was a Pale Yellow. It was a great hot rod/cruiser, seemed fast, but was not as fast as his friend’s black, 1934 Olds powered 5 window coupe.

He drove that Pale Yellow old sedan all over the place and it served him well for his first official teenage car. He actually bought it at age 15. He sold it, in order to buy his 1958 black Impala.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-new-moon-disc-wheel-cover-pic-thread.1081066/page-5#post-13174867

He drove the Olds from late 1955 until late 1957. He wanted to sell it and advertised it. He had some takers, but a good friend that grew up with us (lived around the corner) offered to buy it, if it was painted a Lime Green. So, my brother had it painted a Lime Green and the 1951 Olds Sedan sold in an instant. (recouped the cost)
    Olds Sedan Westside Long Beach

I like the color of your car, but as nice as it is, the color is probably the main thing people are low balling the price. They want to paint it their way and are offering the lower price to compensate for it.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-1-5_3-36-59.png upload_2020-1-5_3-37-20.png
    Here is a similar looking Ford to yours, the one my wife and I wanted to buy when we were 20 somethings. After haggling with the owner and my wife giving it the thumbs down, we walked out of the sale. The one thing she said about the nicest thing on that Ford Coupe, was the good looking black paint. The worst thing was an unusual odor emanating from the upholstery or interior. It could have been a TJ stuffed upholstery using some odd filler. That has been known to happen.

I know changing the color is an added expense, but for my brother, it made the 1951 Olds sale go smoothly. It doesn’t have to be black, but any color other than what is on your car. Don’t get ticked…it is just a suggestion and a little history. I would buy your car just for those cool looking mags. YRMV...

But, I would then paint it a different color. Perhaps Red or ???? perhaps an Orange like Steve Gibb's Ford Coupe. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nitro-revival-4-may-16-2020.1179355/
    Note:
    upload_2020-1-5_3-38-6.png
    So, in talking about the color of your Ford coupe, my wife took these photos of a Ford convertible. She liked the color and the way the convertible looked among the normal colorful hot rods and trucks. It was a good thing the convertible was not for sale. Our bank account would have been short a lot of dollars.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. v8flat44

v8flat44

Dana, i have a real question: why do i lust for your Y Block?
    Really nice !!!!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Strange as it sounds my pal Rene' bought the car from a guy from Arizona when he was at the LA Roadster Show about 8 years ago, I bought the car from Rene' after he had a stroke. HRP

lo c dan likes this.
  21. Soooo are you having trouble selling your Hot Rod ?

22. I had one guy at a cruise night ask me if my SBC was a big-block crate motor.

Another time I was selling some '66 Impala parts in the Buy Lines (1975-ish) and a guy comes up to look at some fenders. he looks at them, says these are for a '67 Impala... WTF? I had a '67 Impala SS there and offered to show him the registration, but he was leaving.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. If I kept the car, which I fully intended to do, I had planed on getting the car back on the road mechanically and driving it a year or so which I have done and do a total rebuild, including the minor body repair, a new interior, new chrome & a nice black paint job.

What I didn't foresee in the future was our daughters need to have additional space, since the accident & brain injury she needs more than just a small bedroom so I have been working to remodeling our old attached garage to create a living area.

This takes precedence over having another hot rod. HRP

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  24. catdad49

catdad49

There is a market for that car, keep putting it out there. It doesn't seem like you are in a hurry, tax time is coming. Good Luck, Carp.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Rockbox.jpg Danny........nobody loves shubox ford more than me. The 50 is my favorite year and a coupe is my favorite body style. If I didn't have my coupe, I'd be beating down your door to get your car. While it's true the Ford engine scares me a bit I'd love to try to become a convert away from GM running gear but I've had bad luck with FoMoCo hard parts in the past except for the flathead. Had a bunch of those "lawnmower engines" and never a problem. The gray primer doesn't phase me a bit. I'm the kinda guy who would rather do the body/paint work myself so I know what's under that paint.
    With a 1 car garage I'd hate to have to park the shubox outside under my pin oak tree and I'm not gettin rid of my 34 Lately! Best of luck, buddy....it'll sell
    My last 49 coupe looked a lot like yours....355 chev/350 turbo with a kit, 8 inch maverick axle with flipped spindles. That thing ran like stink!!![ATTACH=ful

26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

You must realize these people breed, vote and carry weapons.

HOTRODPRIMER and lo c dan like this.
  27. Danny, I’m astonished that your Shoebox hasn’t sold! That is a ton of cool car for the money. I just happen to be f$&king broke right now, or I’d have the trailer hooked up to my Ram and headed your way. Plus, I’d love to meet you. I think you are 100% correct about people wanting finished stuff, very few, ok, almost nobody knows how to work on stuff anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and lo c dan like this.
  28. Thank you my friend, the car is white not primer. HRP