Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Cornfield Streamliner build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

man this thing is awesome

any chance I could get a couple of those stickers sent to Texas for my son? He’s 9 and is really starting to get interested in learning about the salt flats and land speed racing

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

yea PM me your address and i will send you out a care package. gotta get the younger guys interested

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! Sorry it took so long to find this build, the Redhead is one of my favorite Bonneville cars. Great looking shop, all you need is time. Happy New Year! Bob

loudbang likes this.
  4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made today Of some time lapse work cleco’ing more pieces together as well as a walk around the project

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

6. loudbang

loudbang

LOL you are as good at putting together a video as you are at metal forming magic. :)

I noticed a lot of the frame tubing is just tacked, do you find it easier to build most of it then take it all back apart and finish weld everything?

1947knuck, Reds 29 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats an Airplane without Wings?...A Stealthy Deco Streamliner...There so is a vintage aircraft connection even Vintage Indy much of the same smaller scale...it is quite the sight to behold indeed...

@loudbang generous tacks are easier to allow adjustment if structural mods arise due to the unforeseen...just my mediocre mechanical thoughts...

loudbang likes this.
  8. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

yes I will get the car pretty much 100% built then take it all back apart for finish welding. Just in case something needs moved around or redesigned.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi CFC.Every time I see a project using Clecos,I remember going to REAL Army-Navy surplus stores with my Dad back in the mid 50`s(I was 10).They had Clecos in 55 gallon barrels for $.25 cents each and the pliers for $.75 cents each.Brand new most of them.Great video and a very sanitary build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I can't believe I haven't been following this thread(what a dumb ass I'm I) But I am now. Beautiful Beautiful Work.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an Inspiration...I can't help but Praise your Skills & Expertise Mike...
    & your building the Machine that will take you to that Victory...How cool is that Vibe...

MikeCC.jpg

Credit to All that inspired this...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    The37Kid, loudbang and brEad like this.
  12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well as always, your work is over the top! I know of someone else here in Indiana that is well versed in diesel that may help out. pm me if I can make a connection.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. 6sally6

6sally6

Just cruised through your thread.......got one question for you"You call yourself a welder"?o_O

Well I do!!!!!!!! Nice stuff and the fabbing is truly a word of art. Are doing EVERYTHING by yourself or is this a shop effort?
    (Nice shop BTW)
    6sally6

Stogy likes this.
  14. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

Thank you very much. One day I will figure this welding thing out lol.

pretty much I doing it on my own. Which is also a shop effort. I have one other guy that work with me at the shop and he is not a fabricator. I do get some help from time to time on some of our work days from a friend in Indiana, and a local guy who stops in for a couple hours here and there to learn some new skills.

loudbang, brEad and Stogy like this.
  15. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

that is super cool. I was just talking to a guy today about how cool it would be to do a color film for like an over head projector and have it framed and set up where you could look through it with the chassis behind it to see an overlay. Almost like a manual hologram

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You glad you enjoyed that...And you also have an Artistic hand those are cool sketches back near the beginning...
    Just about anything you do with that beast doubles as The Art of Go Fast so yes the framework itself with the art overlaid with transparency as I have kinda sorta achieved would produce stunning posters...3/4, Top and Side Views for instance...I will make a pledge soon to help out a bit...

loudbang, jim32 and brEad like this.
  17. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Now I have another reason to visit your area. For 50 years I have been wanting to visit the Golden Lamb Restaurant in Loveland and now this project in Lebanon. I will plan a visit in the near future. I just visited Maxwell Industries , in Ventura California. Their Speed Demon is the fastest piston engine car in the world and now I look forward to seeing your build in person. Your work is outstanding and equal to the finest anywhere.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does SCTA stop by at some time during the build to inspect and signoff on the frame/cage build before going on to other phases of the build? Great looking project. Bob

19. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

Just a little bit of an update on the Project. Not much real progress has been made over the last few weeks. I have been playing catch up on some work around the shop and much needed maintenance on some equipment.

I will be at the Detroit autorama in a couple of weeks with it on display in my booth. I will be set up in the basement straight in front of the escalators near artist alley. So please stop by and introduce yourselves if you going to be there

20. A Boner

A Boner

Definately, a work of art!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. If you are fortunate enough to have an inspector that lives nearby it helps. Lee Kennedy is the man in charge of Special Construction vehicles like this. Anybody considering a build is best advised to keep the SCTA in the loop before during and after the build. It will save a ton of headaches.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I thought he was an inspector for SCTA or that at the least he helps them, maybe I'm mistaken.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Not sure. But, for anyone contemplating building a racecar I suggest hanging around Tech Inspection at Speedweek. Lots to see and learn.

I love the traditional shape of this liner even tho it gives up a lot of aero.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I read the rule book numbers of times and spent an hour our two on the phone.
    That was a long drive to not be able to race.

25. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

I have been helping out in tech at speedweek for a handful of years. I am also good friends with a a couple of long time inspectors. I send them a lot of pics and ask questions to keep things moving smoothly. One of them is coming to spend a few days with me in June. Then the plan is to haul it to speed week this year ( since I am driving out any way) to get a pre inspection up to where I am

Calkins, Stogy, Tman and 7 others like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the info, nice to know how these things get inspected along the way. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  27. Great plan! Not sure if I will be on the salt this year but if I am I will look you up

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  28. Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. j hansen

j hansen

30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Perfection cannot be rushed "

Stogy and loudbang like this.