Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Waste Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I save mine in old plastic milk jugs and give it to a friend to use in his oil burner heater in his auto repair shop

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    ccain likes this.
  2. Ooooh. Great idea. Thanks!

3. 6sally6

6sally6

^^^^^^^^^
    This 'un!!........^^^^^^^^^^^
    Unless your man enough to dig a hole fill with gravel pour in oil...........fugedabowdit! Only YOU will know. Works great burning trash too.(Cali. is all about reducing land fill so burn it) Pour it on your landscape timbers surrounding your flower beds or solar panels. Really will prolong the life of your landscape timbers!
    6sally6

Desoto291Hemi and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. redo32

redo32

Old Wolf, I'm afraid your opinions aline with corporations that spent the last century polluting our beautiful country. I don't think the birds, animals and sealife after the Exxon Valdez spill would agree with your assumption that crude oil is a natural thing. I too remember a time when dumping used oil in the alley to keep down the dust was common practice, but science has taught us that even a small event can lead to unhealthy situations.

I'm going to post a couple of quotes from Motor Magazine:
    One gallon of oil can contaminate over one Million gallons of water.

As efficient as modern engines are, the heat they generate still has a deleterious effect on motor oil. Heat causes a breakdown of additives and other key properties of oil. This breakdown creates acids and other contaminants such as dirt, dust and even rust, which make their way into the crankcase, along with small amounts of water and antifreeze. Add to this exhaust gases that leak past piston rings and you have contaminated oil that contains quantities of cadmium, aluminum, lead, steel, iron and chromium, along with scary-sounding arsenic and benzopyrene-real nasty stuff that you wouldn't want in your drinking water or in the fish you eat.

Latigo, nochop, impala4speed and 6 others like this.
  5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

For those of you that have an oil burning house furnace, you can add up to 15 percent of waste motor oil to the regular fuel oil and the furnace will run with no problems or adjustments necessary, from my experience over the last 25 years or so.
    It's made my family and friends' oil changes pretty convenient.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

guess I am the only one who puts the dirty oil back in the jug and returns it to Wal-Mart for a refund.

6-bangertim, Hombre, 6sally6 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is clean waste oil (nothing but used oil or trans fluid ) you might hook up with someone with a waste oil furnace.
    From experience 55 gallon drums full of oil are a hell of a lot harder to get rid of than 5 gallons at a time.
    I can't see paying big money for 55 gallon drums though. a bit of hunting should find good used drums that had new engine oil in them for free or a nominal price. Maybe that is because I have worked in too many places where I had to get rid of the empty drums. I'd just put it in an easy to handle not larger than 5 gallon jug and remember to carry it along. Maybe figuring out when the recycle outfit picks up the used oil from the local tank.
    When I worked in a plant where we had 20 something fork lifts that got regular oil changes I had a truck that picked up the used oil and paid the company a few cents a gallon for it. They sold it for bunker fuel for ships hauling it to Portland Oregon to sell. Then someone in the front office got the big sales pitch from Safety Kleen and we ended up paying a buck a gallon for them to haul it off and document that they had hauled it off.

8. So that was you?. They made it all the way down here. :)

9. Budget36

Budget36

I can't figure out to quote parts of a reply...but in regards to your response to OW, we used to (when we had wood post) brush on old oil to preserve them, also would let the bottom of the post's sit in a 5 wash of old oil to soak up before they were "planted" and used them. I recall the days of farmers spreading oil mixed with something on their dirt roads, I recall the days of digging a hole out back and dumping the used oil in it.

It never really concerned me until the Army sold the Presidio (or donated it-whatever) and all the massive cleanup that needed to be done, this was in the late 80's or early 90's? I don't recall. They spoke on the TV and newspaper about how the oil can find little spots and keep leaching...they found places where the oil was going into the SF Bay some miles away.

I think folks don't quite understand that even though they live 30 miles from the nearest river, there are paths to ground water, rock formations, etc...that can send the stuff to places it should never be.

I'm not an environmental nut, but always have a 20 gallon can full of cat litter when oil get's spilled on the cement. After I get a few 1/4 filled contractor bags of it (shit gets heavy) I head to the dump, now called the recyclers, and pay them the few bucks to dispose of it properly. I hope they do. But I feel we (not just car folks) need to do our part in keeping the planet in shape for the next generations coming along.

10. Did you know there are natural leakers called black smokers in the ocean that have a steady stream of crude leaking from them. and there are organisims that thrive on that leaking crude.In south Arkansas in the 1800,sthe crude was in puddles on top of the ground. and Coal oil was the valuable part. gasoline was a waste product. it was dumped in streams. It wasn't until Carnagee went from steam to gasoline engines in the steel mills that gas had any value. The hard fact is that during the 18 century the smoke from burning coal and wood was far worse than the emissions from internal combustion engines has ever been. Mt St Helens in one eruption put more so called bad stuff into the atmosphere than man has in the entire history of gas fueled engines. Yes its all 100% natural. granted much of it like a snakes poison can be harmful to organic life. Tell me if the planet don't recycle what happens to the rubber thats worn from vehicle tires? Why aren't they having to plow piles of rubber from the roadsides. Using oil in a vehicles crankcase cannot create any thing that is not already present in the oil and fuel that used. Man cannot create anything. That's something from nothing. If you can do that you could make perpetual motion work. And yes you do not have to be a tinfoil hat wearing certified looney to know something is up with the planet. Its simply a end of an age magnetic pole shift. something that happens every so often. Man isn't causing it. Man cannot mitigate it. It would still be happening even if man had never walked the earth. They claim the earths core spinning creates the Magnetosphere. I say that's absurd. That's like saying a vehicles starter charges the battery. Nope I think the magnetosphere collects heat and radiation from the sun and that powers the planet. We are now in a solar minimum. and that magnetosphere is the weakest it has ever been in recorded history. and the magnetic poles are shifting faster than they have ever shifted in recorded history. and Last why do the greenies always insist that the end result of mans activities are all a 100% doom & gloom negative thing. When for every action there is a equal & opposite reaction. So just as many good & positive results will happen as bad and negative ones. Even Steven.

BamaMav and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I use the used oil to spray the bottom and inside the frame , doors and fenders on my old Power Wagon . It really does help control the salt generated rust belt environment I breath in .

12. On my friends family farm the used oil gets spread on the bottoms of all the seasonal equipment that sits in the grass for long periods of time, it gets used as preservative on the wood floors of flat bed trailers and hay wagons, gets used as weed control along certain fence lines....
    Used as heating oil in burners in certain outbuildings, used to treat fence posts...
    Chappy

13. another way I use old oil. I put it in a plastic squirt dish liquid bottle. then I squirt it on my chainsaw chain when cutting large trees. that augments the automatic oiler on the newer saws. The old saws have a push button manual oiler you pumped with your thumb. Supposed to sunny with a south wind tomorrow. Ive got some big trees on the south boundry that would naturally fall on the south fence. With a south wind and some wedges I should be able to drop them where I want. tomorrow will be a tree killing day.

14. Budget36

Budget36

I'd have to ask one question, I don't know, maybe you might? Is crude oil that came from the ground the same as refined oil?

15. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

We just put it in jugs and put it out with the curbside trash/recycle pickup.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think the problem with waste oil is concentration.That is when too many people dispose of it in too small of a area , it becomes a problem. Think of all the old oil that has been used , being laid down for roads. The government agency blades a road then applies a thick layer of oil, thousands of gallons then spreads gravel on it and calls it a road. Same agency will fine you for dumping five quarts out on the ground.
    We used to oil post, even had special cut barrels filled, to oil the complete post. Used to dig the post hole put post in it dump five gallons of oil in hole let it set, set post next day. If it was so bad...... come point out which post we did that to and when we stopped. Can’t be done. Every corner post had an oil filter setting on it draining oil onto the post. But those activities where spread over several miles. Never saw any harm. But you stack people on top of each other, doing this, you will have a problem. We have started doing things” right” now. Not because if any problems we observed.... just trying to preserve the planet for the next generation and the next.

Bones

17. Crude Oil is refined by heating it. the lighter stuff like gas and kerosene goes to the top and the grease and gear oil near the bottom. Refiners add detergents stuff like Zinc ect. However every single element that they add came naturally from the planet in its raw form. Everything in on or about the planet already exist in some form, some manner , in some place. Fertilizers that make stuff grow are derived from petroleum. Co2 is necessary for plants to grow. Yes I kill trees. tell me how is that leaf less dormant red oak making oxygen on a cold winter day. Which turns more CO2 into oxygen a acre of trees or a acre of corn? What about a acre of corn followed by a acre of winter wheat? Ok so we store up so called pollution in a catalytic converter. That cat cant make something into nothing or reduce any element even a tiny smidgen. You cant create or reduce matter. So what happens when the recycler tears that cat apart? The best we can do is make the engines as efficient as possible. You will always get the exact energy heat and residue from a gallon of gas -fuel or oil. no matter if you let it set and evaporate, run it thru a lawnmower or any engine or simply set it on fire.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. all things in moderation.

2OLD2FAST and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. {One gallon of oil can contaminate over one Million gallons of water}. When you post statements like a gallon of oil polluting a million gallons of water your argument isn't credible. The big and small lakes around here and the rivers and streams all are partially filled with runoff from their catchment areas. and much of that is roads that are made from oil & tar . Roads that have oil leaking vehicles on them. and then most every boat has a 2 cycle engine that bubbles smoky exhaust up thru the water. I guarantee Lakes like lake North Fork have a heck of a lot more than a gallon of oil to a million gallons of water put into them every single day thru the summer tourist season. The oil never sinks to the bottom It floats on top and turns into that white foam you see. and there are natural organisms that eat that foam.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

We do here, but it's for non-commercial use, homeowners, etc, not anybody generating waste oil for profit.

We also have a law, that is applicable to the OP too, that all auto parts stores that sell motor oil must accept waste oil free of charge.

When I ran a shop, we had to pay to have the waste oil hauled away by a licensed handler, and we had to sign papers acknowledging we were the generators of the oil and that we were ultimately responsible for it, forever.

21. RmK57

RmK57

Humans contribute to about 91% of the CO2 emissions which like it or not warm the planet. Regular fossil fuel emissions combined with Australia burning away could see even higher levels.

Baumi and impala4speed like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

I'm not so sure your assumptions are correct. I/e if i was to extract a mineral vis some chemical process, then reinject that chemical....that chemical that was contained is no longer contained.

Anyway, Ralph Nader was correct on many points, the 60's gave thought and process moving forward. not saying anything, but I do recall the summer days being in the car in traffic, my mom having us roll up the windows and her turning the ac on...just too many gas fumes. Remember the views of Los Angeles from the hills...big dark stuff over hanging. Oh well, I guess you can have a "it don't matter" or "it does matter" view on things.

nochop, impala4speed and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

To many folks in too small of a area! Main problem.

Bones

deathrowdave, BamaMav and Budget36 like this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, this discussion is getting way off topic, but anthropogenic generated CO2 = ~ 3 - 5% of the total CO2 generated per year. The rest is all from natural sources. CO2 does NOT warm the planet, that is false, plenty of information available out there on this topic, the whole "greenhouse gas" theory is flawed and false, not accurate.

25. FOREVER.....key word. Same with tires and coolant.
    The downside is most parts places in more crowded areas always seem to be full....so they say. I really haven't had a problem around me so far.

Blues4U likes this.
  26. Quick side note to old wolf; I sure hope your not on well water my friend.

27. Years ago, Cummins engine sold a machine that took the oil out of a Diesel engine, mixed it with diesel fuel and dumped the entire mix back into the fuel tank of the truck you were changing the oil on. I believe it was called a waste oil blending machine. From what I’ve been told by one of my mentors in the trucking business, these were very popular and many of the big fleets had them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have just about quit changing oil here at home. I can go to a Jiffy lube and get it done cheaper and not have to worry about the used oil. I still do the hobby cars at home about once or twice a year, depending on how much they're driven. The used oil goes back into gallon jugs and gets used in my farm tractor for hydraulic fluid. It leaks and burns oil, so it mostly gets used oil put in it.

nochop likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You can just add a little of the oil to each tank, till it’s all gone. Now that worked in the old days, not sure what it would do with these new engines.

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember hearing about those machines. Now they don't recommend putting used oil into the fuel because of the tighter tolerances on injectors {think minute metal particles in used oil} and also because of the DPF filters clogging.

Truckdoctor Andy and Blues4U like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.