Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How old are we really?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Dec 29, 2019.

?
  1. up to 20 years old

6 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. 21-30

24 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. 31-40

97 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 41-50

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. 51-60

263 vote(s)
    21.0%
  6. 61-70

386 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. 71-80

291 vote(s)
    23.2%
  8. 81-90

19 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. 91 plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stooge

Stooge

Im still 32 but im just glad to see my group of 30-somethings has 30something votes now!

As far as a few posts up about the younger guys on here getting grief for asking dumb questions, i may not post alot but i do have a build thread on here, and i can say that i dont think ive ever gotten an undeserved shitty/smartass answer or comment about anything on here. Pretty much the complete opposite really. Helpful posts pointing me in the right direction, some clarifications, some 'nice jobs', etc. But i also try and research and figure things out before just blurting something stupid out...though im sure ive still blurted something stupid out and just didnt get called on it :rolleyes:

2. pila38

pila38

I'm 40. And I still haven't finished my truck.

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Damn man, you were really advanced in computer skills at 4 years old, no wonder you're the editor.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  4. I’ve had mine for 28 years now...hopefully finally be on the road this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ferus88, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

I'll turn 40 in 6 months, the older I get the better I feel!!!

Deuces likes this.
  6. 66Special

66Special

24 and just finished my first car with the help of my grandpa. IMG_20190924_143438_006.jpg

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid opinions and remarks. We were all babies that had to start with no earthly knowledge and spend our lives learning. Some had more opportunities to learn faster than others and some of those think they are smarter than the rest because of the opportunities they fell into. This thinking is stupid as they are deceiving theirselves with foolish pride. You have a good attitude and are a great addition to this hobby and the future growth of it.

A 2 B, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  8. 35 on the inside... :rolleyes::D

Deuces and e1956v like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

In that figure, there are a considerable number who are deceased, those that registered and never posted, those that only had two or three posts, and those that for whatever reason almost never post. The total membership number is undoubtedly much higher than the actual participation numbers. It's hard to guess how many people actually participate on a daily basis, but even 25% might be a high number. I figure somewhere there is something that keeps the stats and can tell you how many hits the site has daily and can probably tell you how many different members posted in a days time. Total hits and total postings in a days time will still be a small percentage of registered membership. That's not to say there isn't a lot of active members, as in anything you will always have more watching than doing...

Deuces, ken bogren and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Did someone say, "GEEZERS" ? I'm the second youngest in our club and probably the only one not on any medications!

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

Lil32, Deuces, UNCLECHET and 6 others like this.
  11. After 1 week (length of poll)..the numbers are in.
    There were a total of 9,581 views, of those 649 actually participated in the poll.
    The largest age group at 32.5% are the 61-70 yr olds.
    Second largest group at 24.6% are the 71-80 yr olds.
    Followed up by at 20.4% are the 51-60 yr. olds.

I'm sure it comes to no surprise of us who attend car swap meets, and local car shows, the largest percentage of our hobbies enthusiasts at 77.5% are 51-80 yrs old.
    We are an aging group, who now, more then ever, really need to encourage/mentor the younger generation, so as to keep this hobby of ours alive.

ferus88, Lil32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. Naw im smarter than others because I have a 140IQ lol

13. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

closing in on 70

Deuces likes this.
  14. chopped

chopped

Every day younger members turn into older members. Sort of an unending supply wouldn't you say?

15. butch27

butch27

74 and still climbing into that T Bucket..

16. An unending supply of members/people aging..sure, but those polled on this traditional car enthusiast site is a much smaller percentage of our entire group, I doubt as they age there will be more becoming involved with these cars we have/love, actually I would think even less as it currently stands.
    Consider as the 51+ yr olds age (77.5%) die off, there are only 22.5% coming of "age" to replace that traditional enthusiast member.
    To sustain this site and our hobbies interest, the number of younger members must increase percentage wise.
    Encouraging/promoting our hobby to the younger generation is what it will take to right this ship.
    Not intending to become a doom sayer, just considering what this information implies.
    Thanks for those taking the poll.

Deuces likes this.
  17. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I try to get my son and nephew out into the garage as much as possible, even then they have to be told to put the phone and pay attention. I try to be creative and have them google parts, ect. Jacob my boy is starting to come around some, he is asking if we are going to work on the old truck more often. Something about nearing driving age.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and 40FORDPU like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder...
    I wah wah wah wah wonder...

Those numbers seem to say something.

I would guess that the 71 to 80 group used to be the largest. And my age group, the 61 to 70 fellas used to be the second largest. But we've lost so many of the older group, that the 61 to 70 group is now the largest.

I think it's another illustration that over the years go by, the number of hot rodders is in fact getting fewer.

We knew that.

But we're here now.
    Live it up, friends.
    Everybody have a great Sunday!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I've survived the 60's....twice! I'm 71.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  20. We're glad you are, also!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    40two and Deuces like this.
  21. donno

donno

79 this coming week. Still wrenchin.

williebill, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

One of the problems facing the younger hot rod enthusiast is they don't have enough money yet. It's not cheap to be a hot rodder today. It probably never has been but prices of cool old cars are kind of crazy now. It's no wonder to me that today's kids have to start on old Honda's, Toyota's and the like. That's what they can afford. We can only hope they mature into liking old American cars. My advice is take a kid for a ride, let a kid sit in your hot rod, drive your hot rod and pray...........

23. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

By the way I'm right in the largest poll group.

24. jaracer

jaracer

73 in April and still working on cars.

Deuces likes this.
  25. [​IMG]

I’m a month away from turning 22.
    My first hot rod, being built from money saved by not buying textbooks and working my butt off inbetween classes

26. 65 at present but next month I turn 66........shite...........still its better than the alternative...........andyd

27. Retson,,,,
    That looks like a very nice purchase,,strapped to that pallet.
    I like it,,,,congratulations !

Tommy

28. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i'm late at voting but 59 in march.

Deuces likes this.
  29. 62hotcat

62hotcat

52 The 30th of this month. Joined here 13 years ago yesterday.

connielu, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  30. sunbeam

sunbeam

Old enough to feel bad for the car guys that did not get to experance the 50s and 60s.