Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car guy? Could you do this crap and sleep at night?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 29, 2019.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the is a BEARING KIT for the idler arm assembly; it's often referred to as "the poor mans power steering", for the Tr-Five Chevrolet cars. It is strictly aftermarket, and sold through all the Tri-Five Chevrolet vendors and on E-Bay. It replaces those bushings and rubber grommets, etc, and really tightens up the steering. Look into it; it's much better than the stock pieces; it even comes with COTTER pins. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Ah a buddy gave me new bushings. The car has power steering so I'm gonna go with them. Thanks for the info :D

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Actually a little known fact about the inventor of the kotter pin he was originally a teacher in Brooklyn and he taught a bunch of kids called the sweat hogs.

Now the inventor of the carter pin (often mistaken for kotter pin) was also a former president of the United States

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

5. Truck,,,,LMAO,,,,,I almost started coughing,,I was laughing so hard !

Tommy

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sorry! Take a shot of Bourbon, if your Doc approves... Should help.

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. Yeah i peed a little bit on that one lol

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

Looks to me that the cable tie is being used as a butt connector (someone may be taking the name "cable tie" too seriously.) That HAS to be a great power flowing connection. LOL! Gene

61Cruiser, chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  9. spanners

spanners

If it gets you home on a rainy wintery night, so be it.

Truck64 and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Haha yes absolutely correct mate.
    But Americans are a whole different race of people with their own very odd language.
    This is a cotter pin in the English or Aussie world:

cotter pin.jpg

And this is a clevis pin:
    clevis.jpeg
    And this is a split pin:
    split pin_.jpg
    Not to be confused with your wife's, bobby pin.
    bobby pin.jpg
    Kind of the same thing but not recommended for critical areas of holding hot rods together.

61Cruiser, raven, flynbrian48 and 4 others like this.
  11. realsteeler

realsteeler

Starter motor jammed in a Willys Jeep way out in the boonies. Jeep stuck in the mud sort of so could not rock it loose. Had to unbolt from bell housing with a pair of detonator pliers! Took a while!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. This thread makes me wonder if there has ever been a "what's the craziest thing you've done to get your car home" kind of thread. I wouldn't even consider this a shade-tree kind of job. It's just shady.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Something something about riding mopeds, and fat chicks.

14. topher5150

topher5150

I bought an OT SUV and the guy who had it before me rigged the power line to subs just like that at the frame (with some loose electric tape) and had it zipp-tied to the fuel line all the way to the back....with no fuse

15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!!!
    Yessir! They're both fun to ride, just don't let your friend's catch you on one!

61Cruiser, Desoto291Hemi and scotty t like this.
  16. One of my customers buys his daughter a Pinto, around 1979. It ran poorly and I forget what prompted taking off the valve cover. It had a carefully cut and folded piece of bed spread lining the valve cover... to quiet down the noisy as hell valve train. He was able to get his $$ back on the deal.

17. LOL when we were in high school the wife and I were about 60 miles from home and the radiator top tank in the Merc sprung a leak. We were near a park with a public restroom. I was getting water and mrs beaner goes into the bath room. Then she comes out and wants my pocket knife. Back in she goes and returns with a wad of widow putty. We packed it in the leak loosened the radiator cap and drove it home.

18. X-cpe

X-cpe

Was that when you knew you had a keeper?

19. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2011-05-23 Mercury Original 2.jpg
    Ok people, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here...……….Here are some pics of people who should never be allowed to even purchase body filler products! This is a pic of my car when I bought it. 2013-09-28 (1) Mercury Passenger Side Rear Quarter progress 2 .JPG
    Look carefully at the lower rear quarter panel! They put a piece of straight Sheetmetal in and filled it with body filler up to 1" thick-I keep this as a trophy in my shop. 2013-10-12 (1) Driver Fender Bondo Strip.JPG
    Peeling off the 1/2" thick body filler on the front passenger fender. The good news was that under all this body filler was good Sheetmetal-thank goodness. 2013-10-26 Driver Side Headlight French Bondo Removal (2).JPG
    I know, lets French in the headlights using 54' Merc headlight rings but wait I can't weld, so...…….
    let's body filler it in place...……………..
    I hope no one loses their meal after seeing these but I had to share 2019-09-26 Paint at Home 1 .jpg
    After 7 hard years of metal work, lead work and some body filler for the minor imperfections, finally got it back and have been adding the chrome etc., you can see more details on my project thread "My 51 Kustom Merc".

20. Body filler glue! That's some good stuff brother :D it isn't that hard, nor does it take that much longer to do it right.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  21. No somewhere between when she just showed up with Donuts and white coveralls on Saturday morning to help me tune for Sunday and when I scooted my Norton out from under her leaving a stoplight (a week later) and when I returned she jumped on and said, "Guess I better hold on better" (that was our first real date) was when I decided that. LOL

We actually pooled our funds and bought that Merc from an old farmer 2 weeks after our first date.

22. X-cpe

X-cpe

Gypsy in the parking lot, "Hey man, I can fix that for you cheap. Then all you have to do is sand it down and get it painted"

23. That's a good woman right there!! I've got one of those too, she'd rather be at the drag races than bath and body lol ;)

24. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Everyone knows when you’re laying filler more than an inch thick the first inch has to be fibreglass kitty hair.
    ;)

Pretty sure I saw one of the bondo monkeys on tv mix a can of filler in a paint shaker and spread it on a roof using a 4’ strip of metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and jvo like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now that you have opened that door Bob...........
    I worked with a guy that was a real tightwad, he bought a P/&t@ real cheap, it ran terrible, found out it had a flat cam.
    One hot summer day we're sitting having lunch near the big open roll up door and the guy pulls in, wheels a welder over, pulls the cam cover off, lays a welding blanket over the area and welds up the flat cam lobes then "machines" it with a grinder.:eek:
    We all gave him the biggest laugh and he says it's ok, I protected it from grinder grit.:confused:
    This was on a half hour lunch break.

26. Custom grind cams are the best cams lmao!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

28. I see this stuff everyday...I do vehicle pre-purchase inspections.

29. Budget36

Budget36

But....do you remember Zippy the PinHead?

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  30. I bet you get some good laughs :D