Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Dec 31, 2019.

1. With the current thread of the age of us, of the people who took the poll approx. 80% of us are 51+ years old.
    Considering that, it seems some of us may have created their own "barn find"..stashed away an old car/future project, then life gets in the way, and before you know it, years pass by.
    How about it, any of you have that rare barn find that we all seem to covet?
    Let's here the story, post pics.

chryslerfan55 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 48 Plymouth business coupe, 354 Chrysler, frame/ suspension done. Been in my barn almost 2 years. I hope to rescue this beauty soon.

A0F81E9D-8494-400D-90C5-D1ECACE04138.jpeg
    D5CBE632-325D-481C-8366-B5263243AFCC.jpeg 59685713-6AE5-41C4-BB31-A61EA15B3585.jpeg

4. Reminds me of that girl from high school.......show me what yo gots..........

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have a couple, never to see daylight until the dust is heavy enough.,did buy this one right out of a barn!

1020A4F0-7396-476E-9854-3AE7BCE48DB7.jpeg

6. There should be a time stamp for barn finds, like 20 years of not moving... otherwise, isn't it just a stalled project?

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

the term "barn find" came from the guys finding cars in the 60's that were put up on blocks in ww2 due to no rubber and gas rationing etc. alot of those cars just sat around thought to be "just an old car". now days, if its dusty and has out of date plates on it, its a barn find to some

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 Chebby. I purchased it from the second owner in 1999 who first spotted it in 1979, purchasing it in 1986. I established that the original owner took it off the road in 1965. The rest they say is history.
    35.1.jpg

This is a friend's restored 35, same original colour as mine. Very unimaginative, BROWNS 81455072_2409987209253866_7212742037068578816_n.jpg

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

32,000 original mile 38 Ford sat from 1962-2015 until I bought it in 2015, and 26,000 original mile 53 Plymouth was rarely driven and sat for the last 35 years until I bought it in 2019... **clic pic** 38 sedan home 003.JPG 38 sedan home 004.JPG 100_3964.JPG 100_4245.JPG 100_4247.JPG 100_4249.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. I can't post the photo because its OT here, but my barn find stash is my dad's 67 Fairlane, 50,000 mile original he bought new. Has been stashed away at least 20 years. I have a truck that I haven't touched in 2 or 3 years but I don't think that qualifies either,its more of a stalled project.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

barn find is a silly label. Either it is in a building or its not

CME1 likes this.
  12. mickeyc

mickeyc

13. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_2129.JPG

Not a barn find, but.....: Barely visible is a (now mine) ‘33 3W that my uncle bought and drove home in ‘75. I can only speculate as to his intentions for the car, but work ceased in ‘77(?), and it sat parked as you see it until May of last year. Let’s just say I’ve done more in the year and a half since I’ve had it than in the last 40-odd years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Hey Torch,
    You got any pics of it now ?
    I like the 3 windows .

Tommy

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

The 32 three window body in my avatar ( more photos in my albums) actually did come from a shed lean to
    deep in the Pearl River, Honey Island Swamp area here in South Louisiana. It had languished there for 30 years
    before I happened upon it. A fellow I was working with
    was perusing a hot rod magazine at lunch one day. I knew he lived in this rural area and asked him if he
    had any old vehicles on his place. after over a year of
    gently cajoling him into letting me come see them, he
    finally relented. He had nice 40 Ford sedan and that was what I was after. He had mentioned the 32 but I
    did not give it much credence. A lot of guys have that anybody of this style will claim 32 ford. Most do not
    really know exactly what they may have. He did. He was willing to sell me one or the other for a certain price.
    I could only afford one of them anyway. We struck a deal for the 32 and I reluctantly left the 40 behind. It
    was a really nice all original sedan. If I had been practical the 40 was a better buy. I just could not pass on the opportunity to have a 32 3 window body. As I
    was leaving his property with the body on a trailer he
    called to me to hold up a moment. He went in to another shed and came out with all of the original window garnish pieces. Not being at all familiar with
    this body I did not even realize they were missing.
    He was a man of integrity and gave them to me. Today
    reproduction garnish sell for about what I paid for the body. The body was missing a door. He said he had looked for it but thought it was gone. There was a partially collapsed building that he thought it may be
    in. He said we were welcome to look but he did not advise it because of the abundance of possible swamp
    dwellers that may have taken residence in the premises.
    Namely snakes, wasps, raccoons, and some things unknown! Of course I knew if the door was indeed in there I needed recover it if possible. I took the only
    prudent option that presented itself at the moment.
    I sent my 18 year old son in there with a flashlight and
    a stick. after An intense search with me calling out encouragement safely from the doorway he did in
    fact recover the door. He only had to roust a couple
    of raccoons that were not pleased with his intrusion.
    I assured him the presence of these critters meant he
    was safe from snakes and rats and such things because
    the raccoons had surely eaten them all. Bolstered with my fatherly assurance he re entered the fray and returned with the coveted prize! Good man he. Just
    dont tell your mom! I do have a photo of him holding thedoor high beaming with a huge boyish grin. A really
    fun day and a great memory for us. Now the coupe body resides in my shed and that boy is a 40 year old
    New Orleans Police Sargent.

Joe Warren, Budget36, clem and 16 others like this.
  16. Great tale mickeyc. I brought a '31 Vicky out of a barn in 1975. Had pics of my oldest son with it...he's 50 now. Sold it in the 80's.

17. My 36 Tudor.
    Old hotrod parked in '60's.
    Mummified cat in the back seat.
    No engine, Chevy 3 spd, 56(?) Ford rear on parallel leafs, Mopar bumpers, white covered boards.
    Caveman engineering.
    IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know the rules, POIDH (Pics or it dnt happn)

scotty t and catdad49 like this.
  19. rusty valley

rusty valley

that 36 looks like at one time it was someones pride and joy, then they just watched it die. people are strange

20. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Mine was stashed away in my own barn for 14 years before I drug it out 4 years ago to start working on it. Slowly making progress. 4A571B51-A693-4EFA-8F05-1755B55A292C.jpeg

21. philo426

philo426

22. HA!!
    That brownish color on the bottom cushion marks its spot. Gone when I got it. Kitty got tossed by my friend who dragged the car out.
    The seat actually cleaned up!

Bandit Billy and scrap metal 48 like this.
  23. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one I've had since the mid 70s. 1948 Standard model Eight. If you've never seen one (and almost nobody has) it looks like an Anglia. It came out of the basement of a jewelry store in Knoxville Iowa. Friend of mine bought it because it had a Crosley motor put in it and he restored Crosleys. I was planning to restore it but didn't get very far with that because they were never imported to the US so the parts would all have to be shipped from England. Sat in my parents garage for years then got moved to a shed when I bought this property 30years ago. I've thought about selling it a couple times but got talked into keeping it simply because I have no idea what it would be worth and I paid almost nothing for it way back when. Always had other projects move ahead of it on the list, maybe when I retire next year I'll get more done, or maybe somebody can buy it at my estate sale and talk about their barn find!

VANDENPLAS, 40FORDPU and scotty t like this.
  24. I've got a 29 ford coupe that we bought over 30 yrs ago. Been in my barn for 20 yrs now. It was a project car when we got it and it is STILL a future project. If I never get to it then it too could be someone's barn find.

40FORDPU likes this.
  25. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Yes

26. philo426

philo426

Always liked that dipped trim on the doors.Very classy !

DIYGUY likes this.
  27. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I'd have to have the barn to put them in before they could be "barn finds"!

DIYGUY likes this.
  28. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Alot of great find. Don't see or hear about as many where I'm at, just new stuff sitting around.

29. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

Since dementia set in I've noticed that I'm sleeping with a woman I've never seen before, and I have the keys to a few very cool cars. Man, I've never been happier. I have to go and do something or I'd write more. This one car is a Model AV8. I saw it on the HAMB. My email's broke though and when I email the link, it just comes right back to me. I got to talk to gmail about that. I have the keys to several really cool cars and they're parked outside in the garage. Did I tell you about the strange woman...I wet myself again.