Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford wheels painted using the card method

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zz29, Jan 1, 2020.

1. zz29

zz29

First timer doing anything like this. Wanted to change the color, didn’t want to remove the tires. Also just looking for a pretty decent result not concours. In the HAMB several people mentioned deflating the wheels and sticking dollar store playing cards and that’s how I did it. Shrinkwrapped the tire using one of those shrink wrap rollers. All using rattle cans. Worked perfect!. IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0033.JPG 59802854700__A6B5218C-EA73-44C4-A0B3-DE223F5D5CC6.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I like the color.

Cosmo49, clem, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  3. I'm kinda anal, so probably woulda put the cards in suits...
    Looks great though!

4. Rckt98

Rckt98

Neat trick.

Deuces and Stogy like this.

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The shrink wrap was the icing on the cake in your tech tip!
    The wheels look great in blue!
    KK

scotty t, 61Cruiser, clem and 3 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's a perfect hand and PPE...:D

Great tech @zz29 simple and economical with a positive outcome...now for the pinstripes...;)

Thanks for sharing...

7. Thanks for putting this tech tip
    Into action and sharing with us. Where did you find the shrink wrap roller thingy?

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Did you get a "run" with those cards?

Stogy, 61Cruiser and john worden like this.
  9. Muttley

Muttley

Royalshifter let me in on this about 6 or 7 years ago. It works great and is a huge time/hassle saver. I didn't bother to wrap the tires with any plastic but I wasn't painting wire wheels either.

New Wheel Color.JPG

10. clem

clem

Nice job !

I have seen this done before, but when I did mine recently, (which was more of a temporary fix it job), I used masking tape, and newspaper, without letting the air out of the tyres.
    The thin masking tape could be slipped down further between the rim and tyre.

Now, with that colour and those tyres, do we get to see the rest of the project ?
    Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  11. Great idea,,,,,great job as well.
    They look fantastic,,,wires are hard to paint also,,,without getting it everywhere.

Tommy

12. silent rick

silent rick

now them is some marked cards

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, Royalshifter gave me the tip too. Done so many I should get a new deck of cards.

Deuces, Muttley and Stogy like this.
  14. Mimilan

Mimilan

fixed it for you [​IMG]

15. Looks good.

Deuces likes this.
  16. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

You can use 3" x 5" note or index cards too. Maybe cheaper than playing cards.

Deuces, Stogy and Tman like this.
  17. I like it! I never would have thought of this, thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 392

Good stuff. Simple

Deuces likes this.
  19. Looks great! The cardboard divider from a box of beer is great for that sort of job also.
    AF44559E-8673-46B7-9E3D-BD0999A1BA4C.jpeg

Chicster, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The nice feature of the playing cards is they are tough yet slippery enough to slide between the tire and rim far enough to stay in place on their own.

21. Great idea, and the wheels look great. I've painted many wheels with the tires on too. But what I do is cut 6''x 12''strips of poster board about the { same idea as cards } I put the 6'' side over the rim, then take the back side of the scissors and rub over the wheel rim. I then cut on that mark. circle the wheel like that overlaping the poster board strips. Than just tape the seams with masking tape, and paint. Pretty much the same process as yours. Thanks for sharing. Ron......

jnaki likes this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I LIKE IT ! I have painted a lot of rims over the years...always inflated...pain in the ass with tons of masking:mad:. Never thought of THIS method...thanks for sharing.

Deuces likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,
    We did plenty of rims/wheels during our searching for the right combination of looks for the 58 Impala. We used the similar thin poster board and added the local Long Beach Press Telegram Newspaper taped to the wheel fender opening. No shrink wrap back then. The regular plastic sheet from the paint store was also expensive and large. Also, it was too expensive to cut into smaller pieces and not have a big sheet of plastic for other uses.
    upload_2020-1-2_17-15-1.png
    For us, the poster boards were left overs from school assignments, so they were expendable. The local newspapers were in abundance, but did get our fingers black if rubbed too long. Masking tape was our friend.

Jnaki
    For some reason, my brother always had a good supply of spray paint cans handy. But, of course, I was the upkeep and maintenance kid, so I had to do all of the prep work. (I called it slave labor) Sometimes, he allowed me to spray the rims/wheels, as I was a better spray painter.

The final Black spray paint job was painting the stock Buick bolt pattern steel rims/wheels to mount on new tires. It was the last look on the Impala after it was stolen and I lost the Skylark Wire Wheels. It was then, black on black on black for the final sale.

warbird1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Done this very thing a few times but the extra protection of the cling wrap will be included next time. I always make sure I spray counter to the overlap cards so the paint can't sneak through between the cards.

clem and Deuces like this.
  25. Good job there.....and the color is cool too !

26. Now why didn't I think of that? Nice simple tech that even a dope like me can understand.

27. b4autodark

b4autodark

Great tip. . . . Deal me in on this one!

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. Solitaire, hot rod style
    Dig that blue.

scotty t likes this.
  29. clem

clem

Good idea, - but unfortunately no one on this site drinks beer................:eek: :D

kadillackid and scotty t like this.
  30. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Great idea! I heard somewhere to use vaseline on the edge of the tire after taping it off as close as possible to the wheel. It worked fine but it was just for my beater truck. I like your way better. Thanks for the tip!