Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hard to believe..America’s first “Muscle Car” turns 70!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Spitfire, Jan 1, 2020.

1. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

2. And the horsepower race was on!

31hotrodguy, Lil32, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If you define muscle car as a big car engine factory installed into a mid size car, the 1939 Century was
    first.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Geez, that didn't last long.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

So right you are this Olds is considered to be the first muscle car. The 88 made a huge impact on cars to follow. The style was started in 1948 with the 98, but until the V-8 was introduced in 1949 it just didn’t have the performance, then the 88 came along, a little smaller, and great performance

DeucePhaeton, Dave Mc, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

1955 Century 2 Door Sedan, Nailhead , Manual trans , is it for me . The Highway Patrol Car

GreenMonster48, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. speedshifter

speedshifter

8. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Nah, the 32 Ford V8 should be considered the "first true muscle car."

Did you know that the 32 Ford also walked on water once.....I saw it....with my own eyes...

Summore little 32 Ford factoids; they were also known to be very similar to the fountain of youth, do your laundry and even help with hemorrhoids....no crap, I read it in a book once!

DeucePhaeton, nochop, chopped and 6 others like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove a stock 1952 Chevy two-door sedan years ago. It was pretty cool, but I always thought it would be quite a bit cooler if it was an Oldsmobile with a rumbly V8.
    For its time, these were pavement pounders. Sure helped to change Oldsmobile's image.

I have a question, though.
    I just thought of this.

Considering the clearance issues when somebody puts a V8 into the same year Chevy... the strengthener ribs on the firewall have to be trimmed, clearance considerations for the steering box, etc...

Do any of you guys know what Oldsmobile did to their cars different from the Chevrolets that allowed the installation of the 303?

Thanks.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I like the way you think!! 55 Buicks have it all!!

hidez57 likes this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My dad's '50 when he was in highschool... thumbnail (49).jpg thumbnail (50).jpg

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You got that right!!

Greaser Bob likes this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hershel McGriff showed the world what a '50 Olds could do !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As far as I know the Chevy and Olds did not share the same frame, and I don’t think the basic body was shared either. I might be wrong on that one though.

15. 34Larry

34Larry

I have always heard the the 64 GTO is considered the first real modern muscle car. :rolleyes: :confused:o_O mmmmmm, going to be ineresting to see where this thread goes. Welcome 2020.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The frames are night and day different, Olds has a big X for the long arms and coil rear suspension, better steering and brakes. 2012-10-02 174435.jpg

17. As mentioned above Olds and Chevies were completely different. Now on OTH, Pontiac's were much more similar to the Chevy. It looks like they shared a lot of the same structural parts. Pontiac had a straight 8 so that fit between the frame rails. The Pontiac might have been a little longer up front for the 8 to fit. That platform was never designed for a V8 to fit. It wasn't until 55 that both makes had a V8.
    Without a doubt, the name Olds Rocket V8 certainly implied that it was about muscle

oldsjoe likes this.
  18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes that is just like the frame on my 48 98 convertible. The frame by itself is one heavy piece of iron

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys.
    Took a look at some pictures.
    Yep... way different than Chevy.

34bee4497d8e6c812de89d757ef65b01-700.jpeg

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must have been so gratifying and fulfilling and even exciting for the engineer's of groundbreaking cars such as this to design and build and release them to the public... and then to see them be so enthusiastically welcomed and accepted. And then even to see them being hot rodded for decades after and to become such icons... part of our history.
    Quite a personal accomplishment and legacy for those men.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A high school buddy had a '50 that his dad bought new, still has it. One thing we learned as teenagers, those Hydro-Matics had rear pumps so they could be push started if needed.

chevy57dude, oldsjoe and big duece like this.
  22. BJR

BJR

The small Olds shared the body with Chev in 49 and 50 IIRC. Different firewall.

23. When I think of Americas first muscle car my mind always goes to the 37 Buick Century. Small body like the Special but big motor like the Roadmasher. Even comes with a heavy duty floorshift, 320 cu in and overhead valves!
    The argument for the 32 ford as first is valid too...maybe more so .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overhead valve V-8 was and is considered the main difference from earlier models. Higher RPMs, torque and horsepower. And shares that with later muscle cars.

3 1/2" longer wheelbase than the Chevy in 49.

25. mopacltd

mopacltd

My brother is building a '49 Olds fastback with a blown small block right now.

lumpy 63 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Growing up in a town of 25,000 population where there were a dozen really nice '50 88s running the streets had a pretty intense impact on this kid. I still get goose pimples remembering what it felt like when the end carbs opened up at the same time the 1-2 shift banged 30 feet into the 1st & Holmes intersection riding in Morgan's Seminole Red hardtop …. 1 was 13 and spent the next half dozen years dreaming about having one that neat. After I got out of the navy, I bought every '50 88 I could find, joined the Olds Club Of America, and drove to Riverside to meet Woodie Hyde & a guy named John (Hunt ?) who collected low mile 88s. It was the best part of my life ...

belair, GreenMonster48 and oldsjoe like this.
  27. speedshifter

speedshifter

jetnowl, I agree the 39 Buick Century was a real muscle car. For the younger HAMBers this factory hot rod came from the factory with 2 carbs & reportedly would clock an honest 100mph. In contrast, a Ford v8 of that era would top out at about 75 or 80.. Yes the 49 Olds 88 was an engineering marvel, basically Olds & Cadillac had the first (short stroke) OHV v8 engine. It appears that the still impressive Chev v8 copied the porting & combustion chamber design from the Olds. An early Olds could be modified to double it's horsepower reliably due to it's forged steel crank & high nickel content block. Yes there were some improvements to be made. 1949 engines had no vibration damper& had an oil passage drilled in the con rod beam lengthwise to let oil pressure lube the wrist pin bushing.. There was a pressure relief ball & spring in the oil filter hsg to allow oil flow to bypass the filter if it became clogged. The seat for the ball would pound out allowing oil to bypass the filter, resulting in oil sludge & noisey valve lifters. The exhaust heat riser valve would rust closed, that & siamese center exhaust ports would cause cracked heads All GM v8's had poorly designed pistons that would crack down the skirts. The cast timing chain cover weighted 27lbs. What a waste.The crankcase road draft tube had a filter on it which would plug up contributing to oil sludge. The 4spd Hydramatic came out in 1939, tough as nails & darn heavy, used 20wt motor oil for lube. I could go on & on but that's enough. Greg

28. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

And as far as the "first" goes, do a little research on the Chadwick around 1908 … they were supercharged ….

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The OP is celabrateing the 70th birthday of the 50 Oldsmobile , commonly refered to by its admirers as the first muscle car. Powerful OHV V8 in a smaller body. Fourteen years later Pontiac repeated the concept with a 389 in a Tempest.. Super 88 or GTO , their just names like Muscle Car. But both cool non the less. So how about trying something new on the H A M B and stay on subject and enjoy memories of 70 years of the Super 88! :):) Personally I have always loved the front ends a lot better than my 50 or 52 Chevy coupes and my old 50 Belair hardtop had a 50 Olds one piece windshield in it. A diffident improvement. Larry

GreenMonster48 likes this.