Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 392 Hemi Deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Dec 29, 2019.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Been wanting to put a new motor in my '34 and a 392 is my first choice. Found a new rebuild (a couple thousand miles on it) that's currently in a car and running. Seller sent me a video of it running and it sounds good. Build was done by a Mopar mechanic but not in a pro shop. Seller has receipts for all parts used. Complete with dual carbs (also rebuilt). Asking price is $7500. Seems like a good deal to me but I have no experience with Hemi's.

2. Well,,,,I am a Mopar man,,,,,but I am also kind of tight with my money.
    The 392 is a great engine and is probably worth it,,,,,but I can’t see myself paying 7500 for a recently rebuilt engine.
    Just me I guess,,,you did say that was asking price,,,so keep asking for more details.
    And just because it was not a pro shop does not disqualify it in my book.
    That is a lot of money,,,you need good intel .

However,,that is your first choice,,,,,use your head as well as your heart,,,,before your checkbook !

Tommy

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

7,500 doesn't get you squat now days, I've dropped that on a 440 refresh.

jakespeed63 and mad mikey like this.
  4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

He got a story why he is selling it....?

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

From what I've seen on the prices on any Hemi parts, I don't think that's bad. I'd listen to it run and make sure it runs for a good while. I've seen engines run good until they warm completely up and then noises show up. I'd also have him drain the oil afterwards and check the filter for any metal. You could also do a leak down test, can't be to careful when you are spending that kind of money. Hope it works out for you!

jakespeed63 and mad mikey like this.
  6. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Well, we struck a deal. I'm going to build a Hemi powered coupe, yeah! :D

00u0u_3MG06DpnMPy_1200x900 (Small).jpg 01010_hgzuboCis23_1200x900 (Small).jpg

7. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Good tips. I'll bring my compression gauge when I go pick it up.

8. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

It's in a '64 Fury and he wants to put in a correct engine for the car.

9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Hope to have something like this.

44498338_1849203495157955_6484785105196810240_n (Small).jpg

10. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

I'm not really up on what it cost to build one, but at that price level I wonder how much more it would cost to obtain a core and have a machine shop rebuild it. At least you'd know for sure what you're getting.

I mention this up b/c in my experience it doesn't seem to matter how much I've done my diligence and short of disassembling it, on used motors its seems to be about 50/50 to get something problem free. 50/50 might be an exaggeration but you get the point. If it were $1000 that would be one thing and worth a chance but at a big boy price range of $7500 just wondering how much more for something fresh?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 73RR

73RR

The 392 we are doing right now won't even blink when it passes $10k...….

12. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

I have over 3k in a 55 291 desoto short block, and heads done too, and that was a pro builder. I have watched hemi parts and 392 stuff is mega expensive compared to smaller cube hemis

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Well it may be water under the bridge now that you have already purchased the engine but I’ll throw in my two cents. A rebuilt hemi can be worth a whole lot more, or a whole lot less than $7500, depending on what was done to it. The parts list and receipts that you received should tell the story.

Some people will consider a proper rebuild to consist of: ream the ridge off of the cylinder bores, run a hone through the bores, clean and polish the crank, throw in some new rings and bearings and a timing chain, regrind the cam, knurl the valve guides, regrind the valves and seats, clean up the rocker arms and shafts, put it together with new gaskets, lifters, reuse the pushrods and rocker arms, pistons, rods, rod bolts, paint it and call it done. And a rebuild like that will serve a certain purpose, but I wouldn’t pay 7500 bucks for it.

On the other hand, the block could be fully machined: align hone the main bores, possibly convert to four bolt mains, square the decks, cylinders bored oversize, lifter bores bushed, the heads could get resurfaced, new guides, new seats, new stainless valves, springs, retainers, possibly port work. Or even new aluminum hotheads. Regrind the rocker arm pads, new rocker shafts, or possibly install new roller rockers. The crank could be re-ground. It could all be assembled with new rods, new forged pistons, balanced rotating assembly, possibly a stroker crank, a hydraulic or solid roller cam, gear drive or true roller timing chain, new pushrods, head and main studs, new oil pump, chrome moly oil pump driveshaft and new gear, new oil pan full filtration oiling system modification. This would be worth way more than $7500

And there is an almost infinite number of combinations in between these two rebuild specifications. The important thing is to know what was done, the quality of the work done, and the value of the work and the parts. So you know what you have and what it’s worth.

14. derbydad276

derbydad276

I dropped over $600 into a set of Cleveland heads 3 years ago standard rebuild ...
    guides seats valves and springs and surfacing

15. Parts are parts......And for some makes=HEMI, a lil more coin to say the least...... But= Machine work? I don't think so unless it's outta the norm. HEMI'S are not for the faint of wallet........ BUT- just saying- that kinda # for a used, possibly unknown engine seem's a lil steep.
    I'de have to have a FULL build sheet. That's from the machine shop, with every spec, and every part installed, thrown at it.
    After all....... it's "used", and not new.....As in rebuilt fresh......... Good luck on the new endeavor.

mad mikey likes this.
  16. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Got over 10k in my 354 build not counting the purchase price.

That being said run the #'s make sure it's really a 392. So strange very hemi you see for sale is called a 392, every SBC came out of a corvette and every big block an LS6. Some guys are shady. Some just don't know what they have.

bobkatrods likes this.
  17. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Yes! I just finished my 354 build and Hemis are expensive! Lol. Irregardless of how long that engine stays together, I can see the asking price in parts there. Good score!

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobkatrods likes this.
  18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Well, I got her home today. Happy Hemi New Year to me! :D
    Now I'm looking for an S10 T5 manual trans to go with it.
    Going to paint it black. It looks like a Cat diesel now! :eek::D

IMG_7569 (Small).JPG IMG_7567 (Small).JPG

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

WHOOSH! $$$$$
    I've had Hemis since 1962, first one was Joe Reath's out of his FED. Many since, but as a 60 year professional mechanic I don't get the 'mystique' associated with it.
    Just have good measuring tools, a clean assembly room, and follow procedure.
    Get your machinist's credentials from a higher source...

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Blokes down here will pay 6-8 k Oz for a rebuilder 392.
    That’s life down this way. It’s all in the name and those cubes!

21. Congratulations man,,,,I hope it works out great for you !
    Boy,,,you didn’t waste any time on it,,,,you just posted this a couple of days ago.
    Also,,you got the whole thing,,,headers and all .
    Good job !

Tommy

mad mikey likes this.
  22. Nice score. I don't think a T5 will hold up behind a 392 for to long if you have a heavy foot.

Lil'Alb, RICH B, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I'm odd...if I want it,! and even if I think it's decent, I buy it..no buyers remorse for me. 392 rebuild core are not popping up on a daily basis anywhere. Heck, it's OT but I'm in the process of buying an intake system that was around 700 new, for close to 2 grand right now.

OP, if you like the deal on the engine, you did good...no different than buying a car and being happy with it, of putting more money into it. You have it, it's yours. Enjoy the journey!

mad mikey likes this.
  24. A T5 won’t last with even lightly spirited driving. Love the motor, I’d look for an 833 four speed, or a top loader. They will hold up just fine.

Hombre, mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. 392

Great start. Nothing like a early hemi.

mad mikey likes this.
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buy a dozen T5's. Your going to get good at changing them out

73RR and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  27. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks.
    It's the engine I wanted, it was close by and ready to go. I probably could have gotten one for less if I waited and shopped around more but I may have had to travel to get it or deal with shipping/long distance purchase which is a pain. I'm not getting any younger (see the Bonneville thread) and would like to get this project going and completed for this summer.
    If I paid a bit too much I don't care at this point. The money is gone but I have a freaking 392 Hemi! :D Once the car is done and I'm hot rodding down the road with it having a blast it will be well worth it.

AndersF, willys36, partsdawg and 3 others like this.
  28. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'd like an overdrive but have considered the 833. Do you guys really think a T5 won't hold up in a lightweight fenderless coupe? I won't be drag racing but I may do a burn out here and there. What's another 5 speed that would be better?
    I thought about a 700R as well. Easier install without having to fab up clutch stuff but not as much fun.

29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

The s10 trans will NOT, I repeat NOT hold up !!!

raven likes this.
  30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Have to agree with all the others that a T5 WON'T hold up. Having had a 33 Ford with a 365 Caddy hooked to a closed drive transmission.........I know what its like to pray every time you get on it. When it does break, the cost of being towed and then the cost of rebuilding and then the effort of pulling and reinstalling. Just not a good choice.
    I would purchase a brand new Tremec TKO with the 600 ft/lb torque rating. About $2500 but cheaper in the long run.
    They have Chevy bolt pattern, but I think they may make a Ford version. Need to check on that though. Probably going to find a hydraulic clutch is easist to install.;)
    http://www.tremec.com/menu/tko/