Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lets all meet at bonneville....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Dec 30, 2019.

1. trollst

trollst

To be clear, I have a new Imagine travel trailer and a duramax to pull it, I should, but not gonna. My 36 is destined for this, its a hot rod event, I'm going in a hot rod, although the old lady thinks I'm nuts. Look, I've dreamed of this since I was 13, I'm gonna be 65 in april, had two life threatening events, and godamn it, this year is it, I'm going. My travel buddy is not well enough to do it, so....even more incentive. I want to meet some of you, swap stories, compare building skills, brag to those who'd call bullshit, do something I have dreamed of my entire life, before kids, dogs, cats, marriage, mortgages and jobs happened. Join me there.

raven and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. deucemac

deucemac

Don't depend on a favorable weather for cast to guarantee a good meet. I go every year and well remember 2014. We towed my tin bow up on Friday and parked at the museum parking lot. Beautiful weather and a star lit night. We got up to go to the drivers meeting on Saturday morning and my son stepped out side with his cell. About 2 minutes later, he stepped back in and said "you're not gonna like this. The meet is cancelled!". It turned out a storm came northbound through Wendover and dropping a gazillion gallons of water in the mountains west and it ran down and heavily flooded the salt flats. We stood at Land's end like everyone else, under blue skies bemoaning Lake Bonneville. Didn't run a car that year but bought a participant hat and shirt because I figured I participated in all the complaining and earned them anyhow. But, don't let that stop you, even a bad Bonneville is is worth going to, Ben to many where boat races would have been proper and still had a great time telling tales, swapping lies, and renewing friendships and making new ones. It's just better if cars are running too.

Jet96, trollst and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hell ya! Trollst,you have just motivated me! It’s been on my bucket list for years! Let’s do it! I will be bringing my motor home there and arriving early, did I say early! I’m retired so time don’t mean shit to me. It’s on like Donkey Kong! I can put up a few folks, will be bringing a side by side! Lets do it!

Bones

firstinsteele, Blues4U and trollst like this.
  4. aircap

aircap

I attended the 50th Speedweek event in 1998. I arrived on Friday afternoon around 5PM locally, and left the salt the next Friday around the same time. It was just enough racing. I frequently describe it as the most satisfying motorsports event of my life. I long to return and hear the sound of engines bellowing across the salt, and rooster tails of salt announcing a speeding racer about to split eternity into discrete portions of noise and silence. You will regret not going. It is not possible for someone to be sorry you were ever on the salt. It's another world altogether. You can see the rest as it goes by on I-80, but it doesn't matter. GO!

Boneyard51 and trollst like this.
  5. trollst

trollst

Spent the night looking for a teardrop or homebuilt cheapie, I'll build a hitch for the old girl, then I can sleep inside if the weather turns. Maybe even a tent trailer, but bones, we'll meet, game on.

firstinsteele and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Dude, I’ve been down in the dumps, for a while! Been there and done it, though I had done everything! But haven’t done Bonneville! How did I miss this? It will happen!

Bones

trollst likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hell yea! I,m excited! And drunk.... getting a head start on New Years Eve! Hey, but don’t worry! We travel all over the great USA! We will be there, probably with some of our friends from Texas! It’s on!

Bones

trollst likes this.
  8. trollst

trollst

I'll make up a sign or a hat with my handle on it, see ya there.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. I am for sure going to go ! Looking into plane tickets and car rental .

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You can’t miss me! I will be wearing blues jeans, with a hot rod tee shirt and shades!

Bones

Jet96, da34guy and trollst like this.
  11. Oh yeah...if you're a hot rodder and a HAMBer, it's required to drive your hot rod to Speedweek. I've gone to 3 speedweeks, one USFRA event [competed] and drove my 50 chevy delivery out for a quick blast on the salt a week after speedweek....bad timing.
    I think I'm in Lurker Mick's 1998 group photo behind Bob K.
    One time my Dad, Brothers and even my Sister all met at Speedweek. We attempted staying in tents but after a couple hours of roasting, we drove into town to find a room at the Bonneville Motel...a dump but better than nothing. I've also had good luck getting a room at the Golden Nugget and Red Garder when others have cancelled. No reservations. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Bring sunglasses that wrap around. The common style will allow light to enter from the sides and reflect back into your eyes....will make you sick as a DOG with a helluva headache.
    Evenings hanging at the "nugget" is a blast! You'll meet HAMBers and make new friends but you gotta take your hot rod. Some guys trailer their hot rods but I've always thought they're cheating themselves out of a great trip in their hot rods. I've never trailered my car. The road trip is half the fun!
    One night T-man came knocking on my Hotel Door at about 2 AM...said a storm came up at the "Bend" and blew his tent away....he slept on the floor. b'ville12scottyphotoinggreetTcoupe.JPG bville41onsaltbig.jpg bvillebobKsodbusterlurkermicksmokinjoe.jpg bvillesaltbobkandlurkermick.jpg

12. Southfork

Southfork

Ditto on what Rocky suggests about the sun glasses. The first year I took my fair skinned son to Speedweek he got "snow blind" and couldn't see a thing after half a day on the salt. He wore sun glasses too. He spent 3 days in the Nugget waiting for me to get my annual Salt fix.

trollst and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm planning on being there if my right knee allows me. We're all getting old and opportunities are fading rapidly.

[​IMG]

14. brady1929

brady1929

I went in 2011. I got more of a kick walking through the pits and checking out all the hot rods. I may or may not have stalked the Rolling Bones guys a little bit. I love their hot rods.
    I would like to go back.

15. Went the first time in 2009. 67 year old rookie ran the first time in 2018. Gonna be back this year. Will run as long as I'm able. IMG_1399.jpeg

Jet96, trollst, D-Russ and 2 others like this.
  16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

There was a time when tear drops ruled the Bend
    But now most want some more old age comfort. As mentioned SCTA provides porta potties, be sure to thank them, showers at the truck stop and KOA
    Be sure to get your been there t shirt and calendar (cheep plug). And it is time to get a HAMB get together as it has been too long since the last
    See you All on the salt!

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Now early do you need to get to “ the bend” to get a place for a motor home? How far is the bend from where they race. Can you drive an Side by side ATV from the bend to the salt. Can you drive an ATV on the salt? I know these are a lot of questions, but I have never been there. Got to know what/ how to do things.

Bones

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like that scooter! I looked it over in the pic, then looked at your name under your avatar.....I venture to guess your bike is powered by a one cylinder engine? What size?

Bones

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

please some info on what is allowed on the salt. thinking about hauling my 4 wheeler out, if its allowable to use for transportation? in and around the area?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. I went in 98, and want to go again. Maybe this year if I get a good comfortable old ride to take there. In 98 I took my in-laws ant eater Pontiac van and my wife. I love my wife very much but cars ain't her thing so it made me feel rushed.
    Funny story, prior to 98 we have never really been anywhere. I called up Koa to book a site and asked them about their place. "Oh, it's nice, we have a pool and tennis court and playground...etc" of course I don't really care about any of that, as I was there for the car scene. We arrive at the koa and get our map to our numbered site. Beside each campsite on the map there was an asterisk.....the asterisk indicated a tree. How dry and desert like is it that you have to mark a single tree on the map for the campsite. Like I said, we never been anywhere prior....especially the desert type area.

trollst likes this.
  21. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Bucket List:
    - Wanna bring the Phaeton over to LA...(maybe mount a hitch for a small "stream line trailer")
    - Drive it to Bonneville with a Buddy...
    - Back to CA - Pick up the Wife in SF.
    (On our San Juan Island, Olympic Peninsula, Breitenbush Springs, Back to Ocean - Newport...Along the coast down to Leggett...drove 2 hours on PCH from there...Turn Around - Obvious We had to take the 101 from there to make our flight in SF the next day!)
    - Drive the PCH from Leggett (through the tree) and down to LA...
    - Ship the Tub back home again!

Gotsa get it running first....Soon...Almost there...

trollst likes this.
  22. firingorder1

firingorder1

Hi Bones, Yes, its an ancient single cylinder Weslake speedway engine. 32 c.i. Best run at Bonneville so far is 132. I love the bark of a single.

D-Russ and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Bend is so big there's no chance it will ever be full up . Lots of room for motorhomes. The bend is on the road to the salt , so real close less than a mile. Not sure about driving a side by side to the salt because you have to go on a public road , but there is every kind of motorized transportation on the salt......even a zamboni I kid you not! Check the SCTA site for info on all things Bonneville http://www.scta-bni.org

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I figured so! I have to admit I chuckled a little bit after I looked at your handle under your avatar! That’s awesome taking an old engine and doing 132 with it! Doing your thing.
    This year will be my first year going to Bonneville, really looking forward to it. I decided last night to go, this morning I woke with a smile on my face! Got something to look forward to!
    Hope to see you there.

Bones

D-Russ and firingorder1 like this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ok that is what I’m wondering. I have checked a lot of sites, but have not seen anything yea or nea on the salt. But thanks for clearing things up. Sometimes at events they wave the rules on public roads..... or not! Lol will check it out! Got to know if I need to bring the Jeep or Polaris!

Bones

26. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I was thinking about taking my 32 to the LA roadster show, but this sounds like more fun. I will give it some thought.

27. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

One more thing I'd like to mention. Walking the pits reminded me of drag racing back before all the big money. All the pits are wide open and racers are happy to let you walk all around their cars and answer questions. There is so much down time many will spend quite a bit of time chatting about their cars and the whole Bonneville experience. This is true even for the fastest big guys.

trollst, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

It’s 763 miles from where I live and I’m on my way out of the 70s so if I go again I’ll be staying in comfort and trailering my rpu.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

trollst, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. I may have mentioned this once before but Bonneville is on my bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I waited my whole life to go. In 2012, I was 38, unemployed, back in school, didn't have a pot to piss in, and my wife said just go. Best decision I ever made was to listen to her. Have been out every year since. even in 2014 when they cancelled once we got there. The first year I went, I took my son and $200 cash. I said we could put gas on the debit card, everything else was cash. We left with food in the cooler and returned 10 days and a few thousand miles later with cash left over. It will be one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken. Sleeping for free most nights out made it a challenge that added to the story.