Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltracer219, Dec 27, 2019.

1. partssaloon

partssaloon

These pro digital folks don't realize that those in rural areas don't get the same RELIABLE internet as do the city folks.

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Maybe your attitude in general has something to do with that

3. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- ad in local craigslist Free section is by someone that is trying to give away golf magazines - guess we are not the only ones looking for someone to take mags

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  5. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

These threads make me realize I need to start grabbing these old magazines when I see them, before they are gone to the recycle bin.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The non-print version of NYE celebrations. Photo by Robert Moran.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

My Car Craft subscription cost me $10.00 a year. If you figure postage, printing, salaries, research,etc, you know it had to cost more than that per issue. So, basically, TEN was counting on ad revenue to pay for the magazine and cheap subscriber fees to jack up the number of subscribers so they could charge more for advertising.

That doesn't seem like it would be a viable business model- and it wasn't. Somebody at TEN should have known. I suspect some did, skimmed off the cream and dumped the rest.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a buffet.

I am take it, or leave it.

hidez57, KevKo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Too funny!
    John Pinette
    The best 7.34 minutes you will ever waste!

Another

10. saltracer219

saltracer219

I will always appreciate print magazines, I have a fairly large collection of vintage 40's thru 60's Rod magazines. I recently purged my 73-90"s collection of Hot Rod because their content diden't pertain to anything I am or will be interested in. Vans and VW'S don't cut it with me. That being said no one will ever be able to convince me to like or accept something that I don't just because they think it is the way to go and the "new deal"!

11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Leaded Gasoline, Printed Magazines, Fuel burning transportation, Racing of any form is all going by the wayside! I don't agree I hate it I will not subscribe to any digital media, already pay WAY TOO MUCH for TV I sure am not going to be paying more for magazines on TV. Dinosaur I guess I am. I really like being able to take a magazine to the lake, river, back deck, front porch, to the hotel and read it at my leisure. The Hotels I stay at have limited connection at best. All I look for in a Hotel is a decent clean room. Anyway with my very limited knowledge of app type digital magazines none of this can be achieved. My smart phone has made me stupid so I don't comprehend that, if there is no internet how is a person supposed to read the content? I am definitely going to miss the printed media. Most of the magazines I subscribed to have vanished. Except for the Rodders Journal. I have a lifetime subscription, so until I die or the mag dies I'll get that. Call it what you will print mags are on the way out. So us ole dinosaurs will have to survive. Don't have to like it or agree with it just survive. Joe

12. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Sad to hear. Especially my favourite mag "Muscle Car Review" which was always a highlight every month for me, and a good source of information on those cars, that I like a lot.
    Very sad. I will not sit on the toilet with a tablet, nor will I have breakfast in front of my computer...

While at it, if I buy a magazine, then I receive sth. that is in my possesion. Sth, that someone has produced and I can pysicially use. I mean I can wipe at least my butt of, or can burn a fire with it!
    Or in some cases, sell it for money or give it away as a gift. I can read it when all electricity has gone to hell, or roll it and slap somebody's head (which gets more and more necessary these days!).
    What can I do with a "online magazine" or an app???
    Then I can also buy a online Rembrandt that I can watch on my computer! Great!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for your info,picture of cover of first early Hot Rod Deluxe - also, went to WalMart grocery store today and saw these current 2 magazines 20200101_062526.jpg 20200102_105844.jpg 20200102_110009.jpg

14. SR100

SR100

That's actually the standard practice in magazine publishing. It works for Time, bike mags, Road & Track, the various Hemmings magazines, etc. That's not what sunk TEN. They made enough other mistakes, listed throughout all of these threads, to do themselves in.

Gasser 57 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Strangely enough, many of those titles come back. Resold / retold to new financiers by the very same editors and publishers and writers who ran the last ones. Hope so. E mags are like all the folding Yahoo groups. When they fold, EVERYTHING is lost. At least I can read my back issues, any old time I want.

Gasser 57 and Alaska Jim like this.
  16. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

I have been going to a thrift/ antique shop for awhile now. one of the booths keeps restocking vintage to modern street rod, rod and customs, hot rodders etc. Every few weeks or so I go to get what's there. Most are not newer but all are new to me. The best part is there only 35 cent apiece. I leave with a smile and a small stack of magazines for the price of one new one.
    But now sounds like that will end at some point to.

waxhead likes this.
  17. iBorg

iBorg

I rarely post to this board as I'm a modeler and not a 1:1 scale builder. I have a collection of way too many print magazines that I keep for research. While the internet is nice for some of my uses, print is more useful. A previous post stated that magazines profit model is advertiser based. That's not necessarily right. There are three basic profit models. These include:
    • Advertiser based- Hot Rod uses this model. They promise their advertisers so many readers and pretty much will give away the magazine to reach that number. That's how a magazine can offer three years for an incredibly low price. I once got HR for three years for $4.99.
    • Newsstand/Subscriber sells- Rodders Journal is this model. A higher per issue cost but with fewer ad pages.
    • A combination of the two. Hot Rod Deluxe is a combination of the two. They have a higher cost per issue on the newsstand or subscriber with fewer advertisers.
    I don't believe the car enthusiast magazine is going away. I do think it will be interesting to see how the remaining niche magazines change to fill the void. I don't see the Street Rodder or HRD reader picking up Hot Rod or Motor Trend but being more likely to explore other magazines from other publishers.

Gasser 57 and Finn Jensen like this.
  18. Subscribe to Speed and Kulture. It's a brand new title and is very good.

19. Saying that magazines have no place and are dead is like telling flathead guys to wake up and buy a tesla. There is nothing cooler than paging through a copy of one of the various hot rod magazines from the 50's or 60's that you've never seen before or forgot you had. As for the advertising, that never bothered me and if you're paging through an old issue, some of it is as interesting to look at as the articles. I think some of the niche magazines that feature the type of content we come here for will survive and that's a good thing.

I've been a long time subscriber to some of these magazines and have been burned before on unfulfilled subscriptions when some others went out of business. While getting burned again frosted my ass a little in the beginning, I'm over it and they kind of did me a favor. This was really the push I needed to stop subscribing to car magazines that haven't covered much of what I'm into in a long time.

While they weren't part of the TEN empire, the only modern magazine I'm gonna miss is Rod & Kulture as a lot of my tastes go farther into the 1960's & early 1970's. I'm still gonna keep buying magazines only now they'll just be vintage copies at the swap meet or on ebay.

poss51kustom likes this.
  20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was at Chapters the other day and there are still quite a number of car magazines being stocked. Many for the imports, classic British cars, Hemings titles such as Classis Car, Vintage t u know, and one of the best, Canadian Hot Rods. So I guess the demand is still there for particular niches.

Gasser 57 and 5window like this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in the grand scheme of things car magazines are really not at all important.

22. 42merc

42merc

So true.

23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Nor are all the blogs that use ad revenue to keep the keyboards alive,
    They use subscribers just like print, Iron Trap Garage doesn't insert the ads because they like the product
    Motor Trend on line, you can get it cheep with ads or pay more for the ad free viewing,,, get what is going on here.
    At least in the car mags, most of the ads were of something we might or at least could use.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mine actually said something to me when i canceled my sub to "gent" a few years back!

25. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Magazines are like old cars, the technology may be archaic, but it was not bad technology. Hot Rod Deluxe shared a hard-copy window into the history of hot rodding in images and words that otherwise we may never have seen, until somebody gets paid to digitize the Petersen photo archives and keep it hosted online.

26. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

And AMERICAN RODDER also while we're at it.

Hamtown Al likes this.