Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saltracer219, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

The magazines themselves could possibly be profitable if the parent company didn't pay 2 billion dollars for the company in 1999 talk about a short sighted business move. Maybe someone will attempt to revive some of the titles or some of staff members could give it a go on their own without the crazy ovhead. At least we can hope. Magneto maybe could lead the way?

2. And is January 2020 the last paper issue of Hot Rod Deluxe? .............anyone?...........andyd

Speed Gems and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Road Racer

Road Racer

Got scammed into subscribing to Street Rodder in September, 3 years for 24 bucks. Two issues delivered, now I am screwed.

Fordnut40 and Shamus like this.
  4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Just received a 12 issue renewal offer from Motor Trend for $5.00. Not good. My current subscription expires in 2022. It probably won't be long so I'll keep my 5 bucks but I'm not pissed. I feel sorry for any person employed in the newsprint industry.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

I hear a lot about people taking all their magazines to the recycler. If you are in the Seattle, Wa or Portland,Or. area and need to let stuff go...please get in touch. I will gladly drive and pick up what you might toss. My archive is massive and will never let the history that is in those magazines or books go. Some people read the Bible, I read for technical knowledge. God bless the written word.

Attached Files:

6. ...us HAMBers should get a petition going to Bring Back Hot Rod Deluxe,...
    it was one of the best mags still being printed...

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

York1999.jpg
    While we are wishing, let's bring back Rodder's Digest!!
    Just sayin'
    Al
    PS I'm the guy in the middle that had the T shirts made.

Fordnut40, 47ragtop, hallrods and 6 others like this.
  8. .....................I'm with you, Al.:D 20191228_101452.jpg

9. I'm with you as well, Rusty1............ 20191228_102204.jpg

54delray, Fordnut40, 47ragtop and 9 others like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure wouldn't want to meet that crew in a dark alley...:D

11. Agree.....bring back BOTH Rod & Custom and Rodders Digest...........tho' methinks we're pissing into the wind........andyd

12. chrisp

chrisp

One of the problem with the digital world is that those who promote it forget that they are people like me who live in grey zones or even worse.
    We have to be careful on what we we do online so we don't eat up all the bandwidth on crap just to make sure we can still have access the bank account by the end of the month. We watch YouTube in 144p otherwise no more internet by the 15...
    So online subscriptions or tv or any non essential stuff : no way.
    It's the first time I'm the oldest in a shop, I work with people who post on Instagram every bolt they remove, my boss wants picture summary twice a day on WhatsApp of what I did, he can consider himself lucky to get 1 picture a day. When they talk about owning a classic car, they talk about cars from the 80's early 90's... And we restore cars from the 60's to the 70's which I consider to be modern cars.
    Now more paper mags, no digital subscriptions : LONG LIVE THE HAMB.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. My brother did some features for HR DeLuxe...last one being the Barney Navaro [sp?] story. I'll miss those stories and features. I really liked that magazine. Scottyatpebblebeachwithcamera.JPG scottyatwork.JPG

14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Pretty much!
    So I am guilty. I pretty much stopped buying car mags and books when I got the H.A.M.B. app on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The oldest guys, who have seen the most change in their lifetimes, are now the same ones protesting change.

Remember when 400hp was a pipe-dream on the street? Sure you do. Now, 400hp can be had, right off the showroom floor, and that is just a dowdy grocery-getter that gets 32mpg. What was the quickest street car when you were a kid? 14, 13, 12.5 seconds in the quarter? I drove a former customer's car this past fall. It has all factory parts (some have to come in a crate, and be put on after), bead-locked slicks, and some nitrous. I managed an 9.20, one pass, no practice. This car was driven to, and from the track. Look back at NHRA data and find the time when the fastest dragster ran 9.20.

I left late, too. This car is in the 8's, with a competent driver at the wheel.

Don't even get me started on you guys who are old enough to remember when 120hp was all you can get from the factory. Now, 1200hp is not a challenge, for those with the scratch.

Magazines were nice, but they were one-way communication.

Digital is two-way communication. Seconds after I discover a way of doing something, I can distribute it to a few hundred thousand people. The same when one person has a question that I can answer, especially when they are stuck, and cannot proceed. Even with the fastest turnaround on a magazine, you simply cannot get any of that.

Print is not better. Print was never better. It needed to die.

If it were my full-time job, I could write, proofread, and fact-check an entire magazine's-worth of content, all by myself, in a single day, or maybe two, less on-location pictures, and that is just me. There is more useful content posted on this site, in one hour, than these magazines posted, in one month, and this site is a limited audience, for a limited genre.

The amount of content on single topics on this site alone, would completely fill 24-months of monthly magazines. No magazine could ever do that. Go look for information in the magazines on things like quick change rear ends, or even the oft-maligned T-5 transmission. You will find more information here on both, often on single threads, than you will find in every single magazine that you can stack up, from the last 50-years, combined, and updated almost daily.

You guys act like getting 2-4 of these, in one month, were the only thing you were living for.

Oh, and this site, and the entire internet is searchable, in milliseconds.

Magazines make money on advertising, not subscription rates. Shutting them down has nothing whatsoever to do with anything else. To state otherwise is is misguided, at best.

Advertisers purchase ads expecting to see an increase in sales, from where the ad dollars are spent, if not simply maintenance at a desired level.

In-person sales of magazines did not support that desired level of sales.
    Subscription sales of magazines did not support that desired level of sales.
    Giving products to magazines to review/test/promote in addition to advertising costs money, and did not support that level of sales.

None of you would be willing to pay for the actual cost of a magazine that did not have supporting advertisers, so you won't support keeping them in print.

Stack this all on top of the "built not bought" DIY attitude that prevails here, and it is clear that many of you who were buying the magazines you loved so much were not buying the advertised products.

Did you not understand how this all works? Did you not know what your end of the bargain was?

The advertisers understood how this worked (or didn't), and took their money where it would be better spent (or went out of business).

I am legitimately surprised that print held out this long.

16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

So, I’ll miss this magazine. My wife racked her brain trying to renew my subscription for Christmas as she has in the past for my three magazines (now two) that I get.

I like the access to the Hot Rod photo archives and the publication of photos and other previous unreleased items along with current content. I wouldn’t mind a digital version but that’s not a choice and I’m not really interested in the other choices.

I am a current subscriber to Motor trend on demand (have been for the last 4 years) and enjoy the collection of shows that they offer in one place. I find myself watching shows I might not have otherwise.

So, with much sadness I hang my head and say a few words for another lost friend, Good by HRD, I will miss you.

Cliff Ramsdell

chryslerfan55 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You may pack up all your books and all your printed auto memoribilia and send them post paid to me. Gary

chryslerfan55 and warbird1 like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

your experiences, and knowledge to you may be greater than mine, and others here - but, you just do not get it about the importance of hands on connections to past, present and future - might as well sell all of your cars, etc and just build in a virtual reality system with a 3D printer - oh ya, let's shut down all of the useless newspapers too

19. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Everyone here knows what happened to many threads due to photobucket issues. My collection of old magazines and books is still here, not one pic or word has mysteriously disappeared. I refer to them almost daily. My philosophy on the magazines always was that if there was at least one picture that I liked or one that showed me a new idea or I learned something even a part number for something I could use then it was worth the price.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That "hand's on connection to the past" is yours, if you have the magazine. You might be able to pass that magazine to one, or two other people, who knows, maybe a dozen, but that's it.

Digitize your magazine, and you can deliver that "hand's on connection to the past" to every single person who is interested in receiving it, on-demand. Granted, you won't actually be touching the magazine. If that's your thing, that's fine. I support all lifestyles.

As for the remainder, I already CNC mill and artificially age, as well as 3D print parts, and then use the output to sand cast, or use the lost plastic method to produce one-off parts.

My UPS driver just handed me another box full of 356 ingots. These will used to produce parts that no longer exist, except in magazine pictures. I scanned, measured and analyzed them, produced a CAD rendering, and then 3D printed the the model, to produce a plaster investment mold.

With two pictures, and one factory drawing, I was able to reproduce unobtainable parts for Lancia Stratos HF. Yeah, way off-topic here, but that is a $450,000+ car.

Initial investment cost aside, these processes can now be dome with anyone with a computer.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All print media was scanned, and recycled, long ago, sorry.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, you are far superior than any common man

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm one of the guys that recently "donated" 50 years worth of car magazines to the recycler, the donation that still cost me five bucks.
    Can you imagine what the guy manning the sorting line must have looked like?
    If he was a car guy at all it had to have looked like that episode of Lucy where she was working on the chocolate production line and got behind.
    You greybeards no doubt remember it, the young'uns here may want to Google video it.
    It's hilarious!

24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do you feel it is necessary to be like this? Do you feel like I am not making a positive contribution here?

If so, make the case to have me removed.

All I am doing here is trying to pass along all of my knowledge, for free. Even when that knowledge is that you will lose money, or get hurt (or both), doing something, because I did, that has to be worth something, so someone.

I rarely even make money om the work I do these days. That's at, or near free, too.

hidez57 and 57 Fargo like this.
  26. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@DDDenny You never heard of Ebay? Some of us guys pay good money for that stuff ya know.:eek::mad:

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ha, my kingdom to have that much energy!
    Do you realize the logistics of your proposal, this wasn't just ten, twenty, fifty, a hundred magazines, there had to be a thousand and it wasn't like they were of the "little pages" collectable category.
    Believe me, I tried to connect with people, many were in the same predicament and as I said prior, it was a tough decision.

28. ...there still seems like there's a lot of guys who like magazines;...I treasure all of my collection and will continue to buy ones that are still in print. If media is taking over and print is dead, then magazines will become antiques/collectibles and be worth something to somebody.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  29. I have collected and liked the car mags since I was a kid. I always dreamed of having a car that got print in one of the mags. My coupe got some print in several and it was a real special feeling.:) I guess I knew print was going to die off. Still makes me a little sad.:(