Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods disposable gloves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RmK57, Dec 29, 2019.

1. RmK57

RmK57

How many out there use them? I mean cleaning a paint gun with reducer is far different from changing anti-freeze right? It's all carcinogenic in the long run or short run, I guess depending on how your body absorbs chemicals.

65pacecar and The37Kid like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll never touch a gas pump handle without a glove or paper. Never touch that divider stick on the supermarket checkout belt either. Call me germophobic, but I'm rarely sick. Bob

nochop likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think the blue nitrile gloves will do it. I wore those every day for 16 years working for TSA before I retired but they don't stand up to chemicals very well. I've never tried the black 9 mil ones from HF though.
    You might want to try some heavier duty gloves designed for direct contact with chemicals for that just to be safe.
    I'd have to agree with the 37kid though Since I retired two years ago and don't deal with the public in large numbers I don't get colds like I used to. As I get older I am a lot less wont to come in contact with things that may cause health issues too. Years ago one of the shops I worked in in Texas used a solvent in the solvent tanks that would cause me to instantly get flush in the face when I cleaned a part in it. I spent as much time going in and washing my hands afterwards as I did cleaning the parts.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. I use the black nitril gloves sold at Orilleys. They are rather tough. For decades I never had used any protection while wrenching and painting but now I feel naked in the shop with out them.
    Vic

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I use 'em, not the super thin blue ones that tear too easily - I know that it is not the sign of a true mechanic not to have finger nails and cracks in skin black - many years ago went to a mechanic trade school - before taking my girl friend out I would scrub my hands with a heavy duty brush and Comet cleanser - sometimes they would look worse red from scrubbing than from grease -

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wear gloves whenever I am in a shop, irrespective of what I am doing.

My I got to watch my Grandfather die from chemical exposure, via his hands.

It was not pretty.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone noticed how many dentists are car guys? Local one restored 6-10 Stanley Steamers over the years, often wondered how tough it was to get his hands clean for Monday. Then again maybe he wore gloves at work. Bob

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

If you want to really notice a healthier life try retiring from teaching for 38 years! I would have four to five two week colds a year and since I retired I've had one three day cold. To get back on topic I should have used nitrile gloves while teaching. I did it in my second last year and was frowned upon by admin. I should have also worn my full face painting mask. I did wear ear protection for two days until my students got the point!

VANDENPLAS and The37Kid like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

This old guy that got me into the house painting business years ago never used gloves but he never touched door knobs or handles used his forearms to push things open or closed and had rubbing alcohol with him all the time , in his vehicles, tool boxes his living quarters and every time he handled anything or came into contact with something he would pour the rubbing alcohol on his hands rub it around his hands and up his arms air dry and go on to what he was doing and he was never sick.....oh ya he also drank a half gallon of whiskey a day ...every day...and after his wife died he usually had 2 to 3 girl friends he juggled around ...he is in his 80's now and still going like the Energizer bunny...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think the glove I've got are monster gloves I think. Very heavy duty and disposable, they work for striper, gun kleener, paint etc..

11. Any of those gloves make my hands sweat, but I do use them when doing really funky stuff.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's OK for the little bastards to show up unvaccinated with bubonic plague, though NO PEANUT BUTTER!!

13. BJR

BJR

Look up "Thickster " gloves. 14 mil thick.

VANDENPLAS and oldiron 440 like this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That's it, that's what I've used been retired for four years and I could not remember but that's it!
    I know in the paint certification class's I took I was told it took 45 seconds for lacquer thinner to be absorbed and travel through out your body. These gloves work well.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. I’ve been a professional mechanic for 29 years. Just within the last two years I’ve been wearing the gloves almost all day long. I feel naked without them on now. In the winter, my hands would crack and bleed due to extensive hand washing. Gloves have stopped all of that. The brand I wear is called Monster Mobile, I get them from my Mac Tool man.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. oldolds

oldolds

Yes that happens to me too. I have noticed that my hands get cleaner after that happens. lol

61Cruiser and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. j hansen

j hansen

Only when I`m doing disgusting jobs,such as emptying mouse traps.My record is 80 in a bucket trap! Skärmavbild 2019-12-30 kl. 13.18.20.png

silent rick likes this.
  18. Grease monkey brand are great , but thick
    Good for when using solvents or paint they are long to about half way up your forearm
    Also reusable they don’t tear or stretch out.
    I also use the regular black nitil gloves for regular work.
    Use them a lot , except in summer as I end up sweating like a pig with them on.

61Cruiser likes this.
  19. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Wear them all the time in the shop. Got used to wearing them at work in the printing trade.

20. I don't bother. I am probably going to die someday if I am lucky and I am not choosey how or why. :rolleyes:

I started playing cars and motorcycles at a very young age when shops were mostly dark and dank. Asbestos brakes shoes, solvents that have long since been outlawed exhaust fumes and etc. I have probably done irreversible damage to my body already. I have just resigned myself to the fact that eventually it is going to catch up with me. Of course someone could kill me prior to that date too. LOL

21. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I am in beaners camp. It is too late to change. If it weren’t for the automotive chemicals, it would be the foundry work, or the forge work, or the wood working chemicals, etc. Not to mention the recreational stuff that I did! I am going to go some day, too late to worry about what I didn’t know in my youth. Just think of the money I’m saving on gloves! Maybe enough to buy a 32?

22. Easy, he steamed cleaned his hands ! :D

The37Kid likes this.
  23. fresh hops

fresh hops

I use them daily and have been for over 20 years.
    I would like to add two things.
    All gloves have an permeation rate " the amount of time before the chemical becomes in contact with your skin.
    I use Nitrile gloves when I working on greasy / dirty car parts, but not for things like paint striper.
    Selecting the correct glove is the second part of this Here is a web site that has a selection chart. https://www.allsafetyproductsblog.c...ance-chart-helps-in-choosing-the-right-glove/
    "My opinion" touching things that others have touched is the least likely hazard of my typical day in my shop"

24. I use them anytime I'm wrenching or tinkering in the garage. My father has been a diesel mechanic his whole life, and never used to wear them. During the past 6 or so years though, he's worn them religiously. I recall the dirty hands and diesel smelling uniforms from when I was a child.

If he wears them, who am I to question the logic.

61Cruiser likes this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface

I rarely wear gloves. I grew up with grease, hydraulic oil and stuff like that. I think it is like if you were exposed to it at a young age you build up a certain immune to it like getting a flu shot.

I am never sick but my cousins grew up in a very strict household and had to have everything clean, no share glasses, wash hands every little while and they grew up sick all the time and have problems now even being older. Their bodies when young never had a chance to get immune to dirt, chemicals, etc.

Like I said I rarely wear gloves but I have or had over 35,000 gloves here at one time. My wife became contagious to nickel which is a filler in most metals and wears gloves most of the time and uses plastic silverware. I fell into a glove deal a few times, once through the university and another time when the state closed down a boy's school close to me. They believe she got that way when they cheapened up the state coins and added more nickel filler to them. she used to be a cashier so she handled change all day long.

I watched a car show on tv and was watching a guy spread lead over a car without gloves. I had a friend that got lead poisoning and came close to dying because he absorbed lead thru his skin leading cars. That guy and his dad were great body men.

I also did lose my Uncle to the roundup that you see advertised on tv. But they say it was because he inhaled it by not wearing a mask.

26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I thought eating dirt and absoarbing chemicals and exhaust fumes is what built my immunity sense up. I don't get sick. 53 yrs old doing fine for now. I figure racing will kill me first.

27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wear them whenever I remember to wear them. But it's easy to get caught up in doing something in the garage and forget to put them on.

milwscruffy likes this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost a really close friend/mentor to bladder cancer on Black Friday. He had just turned 75. He grew up in an orange grove spraying all kinds of nasty chemicals from an early age. At 16 he began working as a mechanic at a dairy being exposed to asbestos brake linings, solvents, etc. Later in life he progressed to a non automotive job but was still a gear head till the end. But the damage was done. The last year of his life was miserable and the last month was unbearable to watch let alone what it must have been for him. That said, use any and all protective measures you can.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. patterg2003

patterg2003

Its absurd to say it is too late to change. Absorbing chemicals is accumulative and toxins often absorbed are retained. If it hurt physically to touch the chemicals a person would take steps to protect themselves immediately. Every product has safety data sheets and just about every chemical that we use for paint or solvents list cancer as one of the possibilities. My dad worked in and with chemicals for a good part f his life and left us early. In a month after being told he had cancer he was a skeleton and drew his last breath ending his misery. I have friends and a brother in law pass way to early to cancer and it is a horrible way to go. So I put a pair on and if it is really nasty 2 pair so if one lets go there is a back up. Its never to late to protect ones self from the absorbing chemicals through the skin. I even use a mask mixing paint. We can't choose how we go but we may be able to influence it some. Be safe.

lothiandon1940 and egads like this.
  30. error404

error404
    from CA

I probably should wear gloves more often, but I rarely do. I did pick up a box of pretty decent gloves a while back, I usually only use them when I'm packing grease into bearings, or repacking mufflers with fiberglass/ceramic.

They seem to hold up pretty good. The XLarge size is a good fit for me. I'm usually a "Large" in most clothing applications, so maybe these gloves run small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGSGN46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1