Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Unbelievable grove find (32 Vicky)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WØZZY, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Nothing at all, just kidding

big duece likes this.
  2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I've seen the "I've been offered 11k people" actually sell for less when hundred dollar bills are layed down right in front of them

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well, WOZZY, If you are ready to part with the car yourself, It sounds like the info could be worth a few bucks, and sounds like you might be able to get a finders fee from some of these guys that are ready to buy. You could ask a 1000 bucks or so up front with no contingency on whether they buy it or not, so not to get beat out of your money and "ask" that they not share the info. Then You would see who wanted to roll the dice.:D

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

low budget X2. I believe thats called Put Up Or Shut Up.

Gary

5. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I'm resurrecting this thread to let all of you know that yesterday I made my final offer on the Vicky. I brought cash, and a bill of sale for the owner to sign.

Sadly, it wasn't enough to buy the car even though it was way more money than I was comfortable carrying in my pocket.

That's it for me. I shot my shot.
    I'm a little league player and the owner knows he's destined for the big leagues. Last fall he rescued the car from the grove and moved it into his shop. Apparently he's got it up on wheels now and he found most of the missing parts and another 32 engine.

He was pretty intent on putting those parts together and selling this on auction. I told him I know a few guys who might be interested in it as it sits. If you're interested, send me a message. I currently live in Sioux Falls, SD and would be willing to pick you up at the airport and drive you to meet the owner to negotiate a price if he chooses to meet you. Please don't bring cash. I don't want to be accused of a setup if you get pickpocketed in the airport.

I'm asking a very reasonable 10% finders fee.
    I believe his ballpark is between 15-20k, but all I can tell you for sure is that $12k isnt going to cut it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and E.C. like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Somehow this deserves to be in the Classified section if you are here to make a buck for yourself, but what do I know, 59 years in the hobby have taught me a few things. Bob

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. I was there in late August on my cross country Deuce Tour from my way back from Deuce Day Northwest in my motorhome. I've known of the Vicky for some time too but wanted to see it and take pictures of it since I was coming through there anyway. Even though I already have a Vicky project, I wouldn't mind having this one too, but I'm trying to break that hoarding habit. I was successful in repressing my urges this time, even though I could have unloaded my '32 pickup off the trailer, loaded up the Vicky and have my wife drive the pickup home. The Vicky is known in the area and some local hotrodder's can tell you who owns it and where it is but the owner doesn't really want anyone coming out there either. He told me someone had already stolen the original engine that was under a tarp by it while he was gone one weekend. After that he blocked it in with another vehicle. That's why I respected his wishes and didn't post any pictures of it or tell anyone else about it. I know a few people with deep pockets that would step up for it if I told them about it. He has a lot of other good stuff there he wants to protect too, and that's why I didn't post any of the other pics here I took there. He said he had turned down an offer of $15,000 a few years ago and is planning on bringing Girard Auctioneers to the farm to auction the Vicky and the rest of the 50+, mostly 50's and 60's cars there. The Vicky will be the headliner for the auction so that's why I doubt it will be sold before the auction.

The grill is worth $4000 to $5000, the hood is worth another $3000 and the body $20,000, but this car deserves to stay complete and together. I'm thinking it will bring well over $25,000 at auction, and maybe more. He has a good relationship with Girard and has sold some very rare vintage motorcycles with them recently. The reason it has been moved out of the grove is my friend Bert, who also owns a '32 Vicky, had recently visited the owner to look at its originality for his restoration and to suggest that he get the Vicky out of the trees and under roof, so he brought some '40 Ford wheels to help him do that. I strongly suggested that too when I was there. The Vicky isn't too bad but its hard to say if the the frame and subrails are rusty. I didn't try to crawl around on the ground and go over it too closely because the owner didn't really want to sell it and I didn't want to find out if there was poison ivy there! The wood is completely rotted out of it, so that could be an expensive and tough issue to find all the replacement wood. The roof opening is bent and damaged a bit too, but fixable. It would be a great survivor patina car.

I would like to see everyone respect the owners privacy and wishes and let it go to auction and see what it will bring for him, rather than someone trying to broker his car. He works pretty hard to make a living, having worked on motorcycles and now ATV's for over 40 years, so I think he should get all he can for it. When I hear of the auction, I'll post it here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  8. Budget36

Budget36

@vintagehotrods I also know of a guy locally with a few good '32's, and funny thing, I've known his son for years, we have a beer or two every few weeks, never knew it was his father. My buddy told me what I saw was just a glimpse of what his dad has. His dad wouldn't sell anything, he's a collector of his art. His son has a few things coming his way when his dad passes, but has no idea what's up with the rest of the collection.

But what prompted me to reply was "I've been offered...xxx", tis what his dad told me many years ago when I met him, and I wasn't trying to buy what he had (was looking for 6 lug GM wheels at the time).

The good thing it looks like the owner is ready to deal/sell.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be great to see the owner get the maximum price for the car and great to see some help being offered to achieve that.

The37Kid, Stogy and vintagehotrods like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you vintagehotrods. Best wishes for 2020. Bob

loudbang, Stogy and vintagehotrods like this.
  11. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I spoke with the owner before posting anything here. As I mentioned in my earlier post, he was pretty intent on selling it on auction but he also said he would consider the right offer if it came along.

I was not "brokering" this car. - as I clearly stated I don't even know how much he would be willing to sell it for.
    I was simply offering to put the seller in contact with a few serious buyers, which I talked to him about doing. Like he told me, part of getting the price you want is getting connected with the people willing to pay it. It's win-win for him because even if he doesn't like the offer he has another interested person who might show up at his auction. As I said years ago near the beginning of this thread, the owner is pretty sharp and knows what he has. He's not going to sell this car unless he wants to.

I'm a little offended by the notion that I was being disrespectful. I found him organically when buying a part for a boat motor from him and I've never given his information to anyone despite being offered many tempting bribes to do so. I'm not sure the same can be said for the guy who gave his info to a guy from Arizona.

Thor1 likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoyed just being able to see such a desirable Gem in the Rough DRY state...Thanks for sharing and I hope at the end is a Silver lining and She gets the Journey She finally deserves...

WØZZY likes this.
  13. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I was out of line with that last comment. You're just trying to help him, and I assume the person who told you about the car had good intent as well. But, so do I.

Thor1 likes this.
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had a neighborhood friend , he was an old car collector . He had a 37 cabriolet , 4 or 5 As of different styles , 34 truck , 32 Roadster . When he saw me trailer the 32 3 W home he was all over it . Please don’t make that a Hot Rod sell it to me . Well the 32 was a Hot Rod when I got it . Big cube flat motor 37 trans ,etc . My friend later offered me the Cabriolet . I didn’t want it , it was nice with a later flathead , and I was divorced living in a bilevel house in a subdivision . Raising kids and paying tons of bills , I was doing good to hold onto my deuce and Harley . He gave me a price , told a few club members about it . They went nuts , I took one , another friend , money in hand . The old Dude says “ it’s not for sale to you , that was Dave’s price only ! “ The club member offered me 500.00 and his money to buy it for him . I could not do that to the old Dude . I kinda lost a friendship in two ways this day . I just could not do what the club member wanted me to do , it was wrong . I moved away and the 37 went to NV . , for 12K more than the 8K he offered it to me for . The other cars and tractors went to kids and family members . The old Dude has to be near 90 now , I stop to say hi from time to time . He still says I wanted you to have my Cabriolet . I thanked him and told him I would of cut it up anyway ! He chuckled and says well the 3W is cut up pretty nicely . Moral of the story , old Dudes are not so stupid , they know the value of their stuff , his friendship would be worth more to me than , taking someone to offer to buy his car . Let him sell it as he wants and when he wants to .

15. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I edited my previous comment to add "if he chooses to meet you".
    It never even occurred to me that someone might think people would fly in to South Dakota without arranging to see the car with the seller first.

16. clem

clem

Interesting thread, -
    I am interested to know though, are - 20 - louvre hoods in that condition, really worth $3000 over there ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Intake Manifold Is 1932 And The Engine May Be 32 Only..Hint..Hint... 73475233_3336293036445113_6171512591513288704_n.jpg

18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wozzy,

I too, thank you for sharing the Vicky here. It is so cool to see these old cars out in the wild. But more so, I thank you for the respectful way that you have dealt with the owner of the Vicky. You have been open and honest with the owner the whole way through, and only shared information with his permission. Unfortunately, there are many who have been in the same position that have been, or would be, far less honorable than you have been.

I hope you have a great New Year. God bless.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and WØZZY like this.
  19. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

This is the only original piece I have, and it has been run over by a tractor. PICT0001.JPG

kidcampbell71, Thor1 and WØZZY like this.
  20. uncle buck

uncle buck

that should buff out

Stogy likes this.
  21. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I'll bet it still looks awesome on the wall of your shop.

Stogy likes this.
  22. rusty valley

rusty valley

i was at an auction in nebraska two years ago and a pretty good 32 vicky project only brought 12.5k. i wasnt paying attention to the bidding because i figured it would bring much more than that. they even had an extra pair of doors

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Sitting outside in Minnesota for a decade and the owner is smart, don’t go together.

clem, nochop, tubman and 1 other person like this.
  24. fuzzface

fuzzface

I was wondering what he had inside that the Vicky was outside. Those old motorcycles can bring good money too and you need the space to work in also. People complain about what I have outside until they realize what I have inside. and then it makes sense to some.

Anyways I hope he gets a good price at auction. auctions can be good if they are advertised correctly, long enough and if people show up. Girard auctions tend to do well for the sellers as long as they are still being run the same way when Marvin was alive. I think they are.

Otherwise an auction can have the back flip too and be good for the buyers if they are not advertised correctly. A guy asked me about who to get and I told him my choice. I was watching for his auction and never saw it posted. Heard about it afterwards. He thought the auction service I mentioned charged to much and went with a cheap co. that didn't advertise. Only the neighbors showed up because no one knew about it. His stuff went cheap and he was upset but it was his own fault for getting that guy.

Same thing happened a few years ago. I was home working and got a text why I wasn't at the auction down the road from a buddy that knew I was an auction fanatic and told me only the local beach people were there and no one else. No clue about. So I ran done there and was the main bidder. They stopped the auction before they got to the train collection. Same auction co as the other one. I filled up 2 trucks and a jeep Cherokee for less than $100 bucks and made back a few grand on the deal.

Anyways auctions are only good if they are advertised and for a length of time so people can make arrangements to be there and if people show up. advertised correctly and get just the right 2 bidders that have deep pockets that need that item and you can hit a homerun and make more than what you thought.

alchemy likes this.
  25. fuzzface

fuzzface

Another quick auction story. My dad's buddy brought a farm up north and had an auction to clear out what was left behind. The auctioneer asked him about the 2 door wagon over the hill and he was just going to leave it but he figured if he gets $75 that is more than it was worth for him to move it so let the auctioneer sell it. it sold for $3500 and he couldn't believe a wagon with bullet holes would bring that much. To him it was an old wagon but when I mentioned a nomad and he said yeah that is what the auctioneer called it a 57 chevy nomad. He had no idea, it was just an old scrap wagon to him

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

[QUOTE="WØZZY, post: 13384643, member: 196530"
    I was not "brokering" this car. - as I clearly stated I don't even know how much he would be willing to sell it for.
    I was simply offering to put the seller in contact with a few serious buyers, which I talked to him about doing.

[/QUOTE]

This has been a great thread and it’s good to see that finally this car will get to live again.

In my opinion you were indeed “brokering “ the car.
    Trying to make a profit on information that you obviously weren’t the only one with knowledge of.

Your words:

I'm asking a very reasonable 10% finders fee.
    I believe his ballpark is between 15-20k, but all I can tell you for sure is that $12k isnt going to cut it.

If you weren’t going to buy it yourself then the honourable thing to do would have been to provide the information to someone who would without asking for a finders fee :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    swade41, uncle buck, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^ Agreed, that's the definition of a broker, charging a fee to match up a buyer with a seller. Sometimes you represent the seller as well as prospective buyers and take a commision on both ends such as in real estate. There's no shame to it as it's perfectly legit calling be it Wayne Carini or eHarmony, or auction Co. Just say you're brokering a deal.

Wozzy, and Vintagehotrods; thanks for keeping us updated.
    The important thing is that the owner came to his senses by 1)getting the car out of the snow, 2) looks like he's seriously looking at actually listing the car for sale. If he's concerned about a low hammer price, he can protect himself with a reserve.
    Glad to see the car will finally get treated to a full build. (Hope the build is a stock bodied traditional Rod).

28. WØZZY

WØZZY
    from Tyler,MN

I guess I didn't realize that a finders fee was dishonorable. Between the messages I've recieved over the years and all the previous comments in this thread I actually assumed it was customary.

It's not like I've ever done this before.
    The closest I've ever gotten was when I gave away the 26 T body parts in my avatar to a guy and his daughter a few years ago. (He wrote a thread somewhere on this forum about it)

I'm a little confused as to why some people seem so upset about this. If the seller were to find an ideal buyer, then those two would be happy. The seller is an intelligent grown man capable of making his own decisions.
    Arranging an ideal buyer is exactly the same function as what the auction house is arranging. Meanwhile, I wasn't demanding a cut from the seller's sale amount I was asking the buyer for a finders fee ONLY IF A SALE WAS MADE.

I like to think I'm a pretty good person, but I'll admit that I'm not a good enough person that I'm going to donate the time to screen a buyer, then drive them a few hours round trip if the seller and them get to that point.

I actually thought I was being really reasonable. With all the interest that people had expressed here about this car, I thought that it was the perfect way for the seller to reach his ideal demographic.

I also thought that posting this opportunity was a good service to anyone on this forum who wanted a serious chance to shoot their shot.
    But I wasn't about to give the sellers info to just anyone. He doesn't need to be hassled with tire kickers or tourists, and he shouldn't have to worry about who knows where his car is.

But quite honestly, I'm over it.
    I'm out. Done.

As soon as the seller provides me with the auction details, I'll post them to every single hot rod related webpage and Facebook group that I know of to help make sure that everyone who wants a chance gets it and the seller gets what he wants.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  29. 327Eric

327Eric

There is nothing wrong with a finders fee. You put your time and effort out, and found what others could,nt. Ten percent is a bit high on that car, but500 not out of line. Anyone who gets the deal because of you should have the decency to pad your pocket for the tip.

Stogy, WØZZY and Thor1 like this.
  30. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wozzy,

No worries man. You did alright.

Stogy, WØZZY and kidcampbell71 like this.