Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

So it's bad enough that all we see is a red X?

WTF really likes this.
  2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Change of plans on my '37 Chevy truck build

December 27th 2019 I unscrewed the firewall kick plate sheet metal and went into Deep Ponder Mode. This was a game changer. The reasons for lifting the cab have largely vanished and the diminishing returns threshold crossed. I have all the access I need from above except directly under the seat base and that is a "quiet" area. Not much has to be done on my back there except clean and paint the frame rails and cab floor. Yogi Berra said "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." I moved on to the task of preparing the bed for removal.

[​IMG]

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

[​IMG]

Welding and grinding.

I read a lot that said that you can’t MIG weld on stainless with C25, that you need tri-mix for that. Also saw a video from an instructor, showing both C25 and tri-mix, says both work fine, but tri-mix makes a prettier weld.

For a $150 tank I don’t have, and would have to drive up to Rockford to get, to make three short welds on $1 worth of sheetmetal, I figured I’d try it and see for myself.

For a first try, I’m pretty happy with the results. One corner I got a really nice bead on. The other three weren’t pretty, but came out ok after grinding.

I might make another one, might just go with this. The unusually warm weather has ended, and the garage is unheated.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob, mad mikey, MMM1693 and 5 others like this.
  4. Just returned home fron the funeral of a old friend that's my age. When he was 18 had a 340 six pack4 speed cuda. Was drafted and right after basic training totaled it out. spent a long time in the hospital. when he got out of the hospital he got a discharge. Any road us old geezers need to be thankful for every day we are above the ground.

5. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Split a pickup load of firewood (with a hydraulic splitter...I'm not STUPID!):) Gotta keep the shop warm you know.

Terry (well, maybe a little stupid :D)

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy to yourself, and all of his friends and especially his Family - the song "Auld Lang Syne" (days gone by) will have an extra special meaning this New Year's Eve

7. Dropped off the 32 fenders at the Greyhound station....they were in good company with two hoods and two front bumpers....off to New York..........

mad mikey and Lil32 like this.
  8. trollst

trollst

55 loads this time, loading snow, this is the last for awhile, unless mother nature decides to dump on us again. Man, I just stuff those trucks. Shop time tomorrow.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. AGELE55

AGELE55

I watched my 39 Pontiac coupe project and pondered the meaning of life.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Heading back to the old junkyard to look for a 50 to 52 235 side cover and a 216 road draft tube from a 41-6 truck.

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]

Body drop today

LAROKE, mad mikey and Lil32 like this.
  12. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Melted cast iron in my home made foundry for the first time today.

13. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

image.jpg Finished up the steering linkage for the Tot Rod and aligned the front axle... image.jpg

14. Moving to new storage garage today...

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dropped off the 2 Holley 2300's we raced at Alfa Carburators in Lynwood Ca. for restoration and purchased one with a choke tower for the 302 GMC 6..... Be back in a week. Will photo when I pick them up. They also did the 2 Carter WCFB's that are on my Y-Block.

bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  16. AGELE55

AGELE55

I'm in the get ready mode for my first pour of aluminum and zinc.

27 Tall T and Black_Sheep like this.
  17. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_7177.JPG

Finally hooked up my driveway lights. My neighbors love me.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^ you are "out front" with a great idea

mad mikey, Lil32 and Pass The Torch like this.
  19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Worked on Houdaille shocks today. Can't say I like them too much.

bchctybob likes this.
  20. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear those are a bitch to do yourself and you need special tools. I had mine done by Apple Hydraulics.

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

You heard right!! Guess I'm a gluten for punishment. Took on as a challenge, not gonna happen again I swear!

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Picked up some parts for the new 235 going in my 37,going to see if I can hook up a PCV system to this road draft tube.

Attached Files:

23. Hope it's not Buffalo,NY because those people 100% don't give a shit and are some of the laziest damn people I have ever seen, every single one of them needs fired.

Lil32 likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m going to use a oil fill tube from a 69 Camaro. Has a fitting thread (pipe) for one already in it and a 1/4turn cap on our GMC.
    You could cut off the line and weld in a freeze plug with a hole which will take a grommet for a plug in style too. Show us when you are done. Thanks

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Road draft tube cleaned up on the outside and setting it up for a 216 style valve cover,will need one with a fill cap 100_9699.JPG so the engine will breath.

bchctybob, LAROKE and Lil32 like this.
  26. leon bee

leon bee

Going back together with a 67 Triumph Bonneville, she's gonna be a nice one: DSCN2854.JPG

deathrowdave, alfin32, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  27. railcarmover

railcarmover

28. After the normal routine of house projects after dinner I watched both American Graffiti 1 and 2. I never get tired of watching the first movie , always looking to catch a glimpse of another car that I missed . The sequel is disappointing . The way the first one ended should have been the hanger that left you wanting to learn more and kept it that way. jmo.

29. WTF really

WTF really

Put a new switch on my old drill press. 20191229_151101.jpg 20191229_151119.jpg

30. LAROKE

LAROKE

Worked on the 400 CFM Carter AFB for my 302 Jimmy.

Back to the Carter AFB. This thing has been apart so long, a recap is in order. Originally I tore it down for a standard rebuild. I got an ultrasonic cleaner to brighten it up. The first cleaner was faulty and it had to be replaced. The second cleaner worked but I ended up with main castings of different shades of gray. I was unhappy. My friend, Johan Amy, suggested vapor blasting. I read up on it and agreed. I tore down the AFB to the basic castings and that's where things went South. I twisted off screws and buggered my repair attempts. John Carey's machining skills and Johan Amy's vapor blasting saved my bacon. Ironically, Johan told me I did not have to break the AFB down that far for the process. And that's where we are right now.

De-rusted primary and secondary throttle shafts and installed them, using my spare carb as a guide. New screws were used with threadlocker blue on the throttle plates in lieu of staking them. I could foresee getting myself into real trouble doing that as I've never done it before. I've already screwed up the throttle shafts enuf.

Choke plate and shafts were next. Bit of a setback here. Noticed one of the very small screws was shorter. Pulled the shaft out of the Evapo-Rust and found the other end of the screw still in it. I must have noticed this at the time I broke it but forgot the traumatic experience.

Okay, cannibalize the spare carb's choke shaft and clean it with Oil Eater. Done, assemble . . . Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! Shafts are ever so slightly different and screw holes are off. Salvage the choke plate from the spare carb as well and clean it. Attempt assembly a second time and it goes together this time. On to the next challenge.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.