Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Column shift Mart. Stock location with the F100 steering box, creates a conflict with the linkage, exhaust and bell housing. F100 box has the shaft exiting from the top of the box causing conflict as well. This location gives me the perfect angle and clearance for shift linkage and clearance for steering wheel from windshield and the door. Believe me, I've tried it in several different locations, including the stock location, before I settled on this one. It puts the sector/pitman shaft not much lower from the original location. Hey.....if it doesn't work, ya cut it off and try something else. I'm workin' with what I have and what I've gathered over the years..... Thanks for the input.....we'll see how it goes.:D:D

Baron and loudbang like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Ok, but bear in mind that if there is a trade off in conflicts, the steering has to come out on top. What would be the use of a car with a sweet column shift if it is not pleasant to drive because of bad bump steer? There are those who would argue that floor shift is preferable anyway.

But like you say, if it doesn't turn out how you would like it, cut it off and try something else. that's the essence of a home built rod.

Mart.

3. Nice work so far, good luck with the build

hendelec, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep....we'll see how it goes with the geometry. I did take it into consideration. I can make a shorter pitman arm in the machine shop if I need to. As long as I can keep the drag link as level as possible, I should be ok, we shall see..... Thanks for the input Mart, it's greatly appreciated!

Baron and loudbang like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Swade!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

i believe mart is on the right track, with the steering box so low, you will have a terrible drag link angle with a dropped axle

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is the image I had in mind for my reference.....we'll see if I can keep it close to the top image....Thanks again Mart!
    [​IMG]

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yeah.... I know what Marts concerns are....I’ll cross that bridge when I get there and make changes as necessary....even if that means going with the standard axle. I could also notch the frame and move it up. I’ll be boxing it anyway....it’s what makes it all fun....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. If you bend the steering arm down to follow the drop of the axle; it will end up in almost the same place as a straight arm on a stock axle.

Really should have an exhaust manifold in place when fitting the steering box.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

It was....it has a nasty crack so I removed it....I'm making my own set of center dump headers.....

loudbang likes this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well Mart, I've come up with a plan to raise the assembly 2 inches. I did some measuring and sketching and I'll be able to get the F100 pitman arm ball just an inch below where the stock Model A would have been. That should do it....thanks for your input!

loudbang likes this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I got a bunch of measurements done today roughly fitted the dash and set my column drop.....
    I clearanced the firewall so I can get going on THOSE repairs, got a shit ton of holes to fill in that and I got my engine mounts fabricated. They just need some tidying up....
    Slow but sure, I’m gettin’ there!
    IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1564.JPG

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Got my column and steering shaft sorted out today, had to extend the shaft and fabricate a wedge for the bearing...came out nice! I did manage to move those pesky body mounts forward too. Just hung my ‘36 dash so I can measure and mark where I need to trim it....I scrapped those engine mounts and I’m going a different route with those...I want to get the front suspension torn down for cleaning and painting soon too.....movin’ along! IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_1579.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Does anyone know where to get the "T" bars that go between panels? Mine are missing where the quarters and the rear window panel meet. Is it available in lengths that can be cut and bent to the needed lengths? Thanks in advance fellas!

loudbang likes this.
  15. eicke

eicke

Are you talking about the ones that attach at the bottom of the B-pillar and sorta go on a 45 up to the quarter window?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

The ones I have highlighted in this photo. The only thing I could find was the pre-formed for the Tudor.....thanks for the reply!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

18. koolbeans

koolbeans

Nice work. Love the pics, always a source of ideas. Mind fertilization....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! Your build is an inspiration!

loudbang likes this.
  20. eicke

eicke

Oh, I see now. Not in your case but aren't they spot welded to the center roof section? Lot of rodders just weld the seam up.

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

They get through bolted where the panels join. I've thought about welding up the seams, but that will create more grinding and body work. My quarters are really clean except for lower patch panels. Maybe I can just buy the Tudor T bar and make them fit. Thanks for your input!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The angle isn't a problem. I have a 56 box in my Deuce (and ran the same set up in a couple of past 32's). My only concern is having the steering box mounted as low as you have yours, you will need a shorter pitman arm, depending on the drop ( or lack of) of your front axle. Keep up the good work. Deuce drag link interferance b.jpg

Nailhead A-V8, loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Baron! I'm trying to keep my angle and clearance for the column shift, I did manage to move it up some. At this point, the pitman arm ball is only 1.75" lower than the stock location. I haven't made it permanent yet......We'll see how it goes, I may be ok. Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Time for front axle/suspension disassembly and clean up so I can get my wheels and tires on and make this a roller! Still some decisions to be made on the axle and wishbone set up. I still don’t know if I want to split the bones, or go with stock and fabricate a box under the trans mounts to mount it....we shall see! Thanks for following and all the likes fellas, greatly appreciated! IMG_1590.JPG

oliver westlund, brEad, Baron and 3 others like this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finally getting this front axle dismantled.....surprisingly little wear considering how crusty it is! Either great maintenance, or recently serviced before taken out of service... I’ll be reusing the spring perches which I’ve modified. Geezus they were a bear to get out! Some heat, juice, persuasion and persistence and they came out. Had to dress them up a bit though.....good save! Thanks fellas! IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1604.JPG

Tim, Nailhead A-V8, brEad and 2 others like this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Still has the machine marks in them and the balls are round! IMG_1605.JPG

oliver westlund, Baron and loudbang like this.
  27. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Those look to be in great shape.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes they are Aaron! I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of significant wear! A new set of shackles and I'm there!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Are those new bushings in the perch? They look good!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

I know! It's what was in there. I was shocked....I expected them to be all wallered out! I will still be replacing the shackles though.....

Flathead Youngin' and loudbang like this.