Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another issue facing us old car buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 21, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

OMG this is the funniest correspondence I have EVER read 34 GAZ . Thanks so much for the great laugh.

j hansen likes this.
  2. 34Larry

34Larry

You wouldn't believe your eyes, seeing what I saw yesterday. Went to my oldest daughters for a Christmas drop in. She and her husband live on the county line. Across the street in the adjoining county, Pierce, where Tacoma Washington is, they just completed a massive housing development. Two story monsters, square footage approaching 3000 /3500, 3 car garages. The thing you would not believe is that the, eves have less than 12" in between them. Unbelievable that the county lets these asshole developers build like that. Hell, you couldn't even grunt on the crapper with out your next door neighbor calling and asking, '"Every thing come out alright"?:eek::D:eek:

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I just want to know who the F#@k invented those noisy F#@king gas powered leaf blowers.

Chavezk21, nochop and Bleach like this.
  4. j hansen

j hansen

Really funny!!

5. raven

raven

Crush some stuff? How about crush the nuts of the jerk doing this? Try that for starters...
    r

Every once in a while, life gets a little more surreal.

chevy57dude and choffman41 like this.
  6. All credit to member Was196#'s for the link.

7. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

Guys in my local club prefer to live in neighborhoods where people don’t care about junky cars. Much less stress that way. Sucks but I’d say move if you can.

Based on folks I see here wanting restrictions on their neighbors I don’t think you can make that assumption. My conservative neighbors don’t like me working in the driveway on my old cars. I try to be cool about it though. Doesn’t stop them from complaining but they know they don’t have a leg to stand on. Oh and I have a back yard parts pile also. That’s what privacy fences are for.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You would be surprised how rarely I see my neighbors. Nobody goes outside anymore unless to mow their yard. There`s a younger couple that live on the end of the block, I have seen them maybe 10 times in a year. Talked to them once in 2 years. And I`m in my garage all day long and when ever possible, the doors are open.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wow! It gets more attention than my 1965 XL! I hope you son does well with his car! I met a guy this Summer that bought an OT Oldsmobile Vista Crusier after seeing the wagon at our car show! So I guess I can chalk up two rescues to my wagon! Awesome!

Bones 26735A92-A8BD-4BC8-BBF5-34DDD60FCD58.jpeg

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Old Wolf, I bought forty acres North of the ranch , for mainly future generations to build homes on , had it for thirty years, now about the time it is needed, a guy bought the next 40 North of mine and built a chicken house on it! Now it’s just good for cows! But oddly enough there is nothing you can do about them. That battle has already been fought in the courts! When he moved in the valve of my forty dropped to about half of what it was. Not that it makes any difference to me, but now we can’t build homes where we wanted to. Something wrong with that!

Bones

11. Wait ten or twenty years. the chicken diseases will make that chicken house where they can no longer raise chickens in it. It will be worthless and the owners bankrupt. Then you can buy it and use it to store your valuable hoard.

34 GAZ and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Start a fox breeding operation.;):)

lippy, X-cpe, raven and 1 other person like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey! I was trying to think of a legal way of getting him! You may be on to something! Thanks!

I have experience in that, I was into that, in a big way in College! Best eleven years of my life!

Bones

arkiehotrods and wraymen like this.
  14. Sorry about your situation, it sucks for sure but this was the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. Hope ya get it straightened out.
    FarSideTroubleBrewing+001[1].jpeg
    A zoning nightmare for sure.

nochop, Boneyard51 and 1Nimrod like this.
  15. jazz1

jazz1

100_2465.jpg

Those are the reasons this truck was up for sale. My first Ebay purchase, $600 and the truck was located in a rural Mn town of a few thousand. That BS would not fly in my neck of the woods.
    My avatar is a parts truck i had in back yard, I restored the Mn truck.

Elcohaulic, 1Nimrod and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I hear ya friend. The neighbors farm I worked on when younger is a 90 Acer subdivision now just before all the lots where sold the "New kids" on the block burned down the almost 150 year old Barn then three month latter burned down the Farm House that was just as old. The local police never found out who the kids were. But they all move into the country to get out of the city bcuz it's not good for there children in the city and they move in there new homes in the country then there children burn down the Farm House and Barns in there new neighborhood... Then they go on there marry way feeling good about themselves bcuz they got ride of an eye sore. But it wasn't a eye sore it was a family farm no junk around the well kept Farm House and very nice well kept Barns no junk anywhere on the last two Acer's of the original farm. But bcuz the owner just passed away about a year before the kids felt they could vandalize a beautiful Farm House and Barn no gone forever...

1Nimrod

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I lived on a dirt road for all most twenty years before loosing our home. My children and I when we first moved into our new home use to wave at all our "New" neighbors as they drove by our home then finally two year's later a few stopped and talked and they had lived a half mile away from each other for more years then we had lived their at the time and they didn't even know each other. One neighbor said to me once if it wasn't for you and your family we would have never talked to anyone down our road. How sad that is Fifty home's on that two mile dirt road and nobody knew each other for year's some lived there twenty year's and longer. But it wasn't until my small family built our home and started waving at people just to be neighborly did they get to know each other. Sad but true people don't like knowing there neighbor's anymore...

1Nimrod

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember when this site was about rods and customs.

19. 1941coupe

1941coupe

there is a new development that went up about 5 years ago near me its very close to a trap/skeet range that's been there for over 50 years the people there are complaining about the noise now go figure

nochop, Boneyard51 and 1Nimrod like this.
  20. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

In New York???? That place is as bad as California when it comes to being anti guns...
    Getting that way just about everywhere in the Good Ol'USA... That's sad too...

1Nimrod

Boneyard51 and dirty old man like this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not in Oklahoma! We just passed “ open carry”! That means that any adult , not drunk or crazy can carry a pistol on their hip! Just like the old West!

Bones

raven likes this.
  22. 34Larry

34Larry

Whooooooaaaaaa "j" is that the Swedish Santa in your avatar?? Remind my next holiday season to have her come sit on "my" lap and ask what I want:rolleyes::D

j hansen and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Town code enforcement officer came by once 15 year ago. Said someone complained about some "stuff" on my back property. I reminded him that I had zoned my acreage multi family years before. He said" cool your going to build some houses and remove the junk?" "Yup" I said. " Section 8 low income multi family with many special needs kids to flood the school district" Funny they never came back..
    Remember folks always have 2 plans:
    1. What you want to do
    2. What they DON'T want you to do.
    Let them make the choice.

dirty old man likes this.
  24. Said it before, why be the "Frozen Chosen" in Minn. and have trouble parking your car, Move away from there ASAP.

25. I've lived in my house for 58 years and no home nearby only a couple of farms . As new homes were built if anyone complained to me about my cars or cycles I'd tell them look I'm here first get used to it. Never had any complaints since even when I drove my modified stock car on the road !

dirty old man likes this.
  26. 97

I was visiting Brisbane , and saw people with horses stabled under their Queenslanders! Out Hendra /Eagle Farm area.

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Anyone knowingly buying housing in a area with a HOA deserves any crap they get.

warbird1 and dirty old man like this.
  28. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

I still have 3yrs to go in CT., what state did you land in? Not to be nosy.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I keep my place real clean and I never work before 9 am or past 10 pm. No work on Sundays.. I wouldn't want to live next to some drunken slob with car junk all over the place..

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I like living here near the centre of town. I like being able to hear what's going on in the street, the occasional argument, the late-night revels, music from the pub downstairs, busloads of Chinese tourists stopping at the restaurant across the street, the odd impromptu church choir. There's a lot going on. I like being able to get to a lot of stuff on foot, sometimes not even having to cross the street. I like not having to commute by car (it allows me to do without a car tuned for rush-hour traffic). I like knowing a lot of local people just from being physically present in the same street. I like the diversity of people: Mabub at the convenience store, Ameka the barber, Jackson at the Malawian gift shop, the old Korean lady on the corner, Lionel and Courage at the supermarket, Avron the kosher restaurateur, Roger at the car service workshop; Wellman, Neville, Maggie, Llewellyn, and all the local homeless.

I especially like the way people who live here don't have a huge expectation of silence or isolation. Stuff is happening here and you're going to be aware of it from time to time. It is seldom really in your face. By contrast I'd slowly go off my nut living in the suburbs, between the quiet and those wanting to keep it that way.

I have a lock-up garage but no decent workshop. I could have a workshop if I had a bit more money, though; it's not impossible, not completely out of realistic reach. The past few years were exhausting, so I didn't have energy left to use one anyway. But I can't see anyone complaining about something which is in many respects a lot like what happens around here anyway. My dream home is in the city: three or four storeys on a small lot, lettable commercial on the street and garage/workshop at the back, with a garden deck over the garage/workshop.

One more thing: it is useful to look at zoning/planning regulations from a structural perspective. The structural function (not quite the same as the conscious aim) of most of this stuff is to keep commercial accommodation artificially scarce and therefore expensive: 99% of zoning/planning regulation boils down to, your home shall not be economically productive. Cui bono there?

leon bee likes this.