Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stainless windshield trim install

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by PeggySue, Dec 24, 2019.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Have a 50 chevy styleline special. Changing windshields, after finding stainless from a 51 chevy deluxe plan on installing it. Is there any reason it would be different or not work? Also I'm missing the center stainless piece from the 51, would the center piece from my 50 be the same to work? (Picture of the center stainless strip on my 50)

Attached Files:

2. ...you'll need the rubber weatherstrip that has the groove for the stainless,...fit glass into rubber, fit stainless into rubber, fit rubber into car using the rope trick or use a length of
    14 or 16 gage electrical wire, (works well and won't break or fray like rope.
    your center strip should be the same. good luck.

Slow down likes this.
  3. PeggySue

PeggySue

OK Thanks , have did a lot of research on install, just finished both door glass and vent glass. Thought it would be the same and work, just wanted to hear from someone for sure before tearing apart.

4. I LOVE HOW MADE IT SOUND SO EASY!!
    You'll also need a young priest and an old priest if you're using new rubber.

OldSchoolRodz and arkiehotrods like this.

5. PeggySue

PeggySue

SO , You must have installed one? All information is welcome.

6. Installed many. Not so much a problem to replace a piece of glass. But new rubber is the problem. Use the best quality rubber you can get. It's all in getting the trim into the seal. I've even used a razor blade to open the groove up a little bit in the rubber itself. Takes a little patience. Get a roll of duct tape and as you install the trim tape it in place. Once you rope the glass into the car you can pull the tape off. Don't get me wrong, I've done a few that went good, but they were an exception to the rule. Make sure your seal is warm. And don't "tweak" the stainless when you remove it from the donor car.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  7. I double my install price when there's stainless in the rubber if you know what I'm saying....

arkiehotrods likes this.
  8. PeggySue

PeggySue

OK Thanks. Plan on National Chevy Assoc.for the glass and new rubber, unless I go top dog and go with Steele Rubber products for the rubber.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  9. ...can't beat Steele,..but maybe NCA gets theirs from Steele..?

10. PeggySue

PeggySue

Going to check tomorrow, but looking online the Steele one has the center strip/bar built into it, while NCA looks to be outer premature, no center. Figure the Steele with the center would help in keeping do exactly that keep it centered.

11. You'll also need a bottle of Southern Comfort! Use it first! Then a 1/4 of the way. More at half mark. Then again at 3/4's . Finish it off at the end and hope!!

12. I don't know if this will apply to you but when I replaced the broken windshields in my 49 ford, I used the best gasket I could find....I think it was a Steele brand. [been 27 years] I had 2 helpers and we tried for hours to get the stainless into the gasket before installing glass in the car. We couldn't do it so we installed the glass and rubber into the car without too much drama. Then we installed the stainless in the rubber with a lot of cussing, slapping, pushing, prying and praying. Didn't leak. Rockybox.jpg

13. Lmao! I tend to use moonshine when it's getting rough. I just did a 49 coupe Monday. The windshield went pretty good. Back glass not so much. I cut the lip off of the rubber that retains the trim and ran a bead of urethane around it. Laid the trim in and taped it down. I truly believe the secret is in the rubber. If it's an Ebay discount price item it's gonna be a pain

arkiehotrods likes this.
  14. PeggySue

PeggySue

My shop manual and also Steele's instructions says , strong string in pinch weld of rubber gasket, (use soapy water) then glass in rubber gasket, then stainless trim in gasket last, then set everything into opening and install with pressure outside while pulling string evenly starting at bottom. I know it sound easier then it's going to be but that's the sequence in steps.

15. PeggySue

PeggySue

Yes but I have to have couple case's of beer I'm a lot slower.

16. Yeah, my instructions with my new gasket said exactly the same thing but we just could not get it to work like that. Keep in mind I was working with a ford and yours is a chevy. Probable made different from each other.

17. PeggySue

PeggySue

Finally got around to installing gasket and stainless. Like everyone said easier said then done, but after trying a couple ways I found the best was to set the glass (both sides) in the rubber gasket then tape the rubber to glass, except where the stainless goes in. release the outside end of the gasket off the glass. Install the stainless in the rubber then gently stretch the gasket back over the end of the glass. Just posting so if it would help anyone else. Now onto installing in the car, when I get ahold of my helper.

18. morac41

morac41

Patience is the answer when installing especially split windscreens with stainless ..helps to have a spare set of hands

19. My Ford, both the rear and front glass have the lower stainless with the lip. I helped my glass guy do the windshield at my shop, took 2 tries to get it in, we did tape the trim to the gasket, cut the tape off later. He used the rope and some sort of soapy mix, not sure what it was. We used to use new 1/4" nylon rope and a silicone spray to set curved glass in Chevy trucks. I'd never do another without a fresh gasket, which I lay out on the hood or roof in the sunlight for a few hours.

nitrousnutter likes this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Go with Steele, you can’t get a better rubber product.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  21. PeggySue

PeggySue

Yep Steele's what I have installed now. When I ordered the windshield from NCA they didn't have any gaskets.

22. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Let me know how it goes. I've done other installs, including my '46 Chevy coupe, but that was a flat glass. Managed to do that one solo. I may tackle my '50 some day.

23. PeggySue

PeggySue

OK Will do, have to line up my son to help with more hands to install, have the glass and stainless in he . Have the pinchweld cleaned and waiting for primer to come. Found a good video on youtube doing a split window 50 chevy pickup, basically the same procedure. Have the glass and stainless in the gasket and taped.

24. PeggySue

PeggySue

Well got my helper, installed the windshield. Couple problems, (1) Not all 3 holes in center gasket lined up, 2 would the third not, so I did what I seen a poster on youtube install on a 49 who had the same trouble, I made a new hole, only about a 1/4 " off. (2) When I compared the (STEELES) new gasket to the old one, the center outside measurement from pinch weld to pinch weld on the gasket was about 1/4" wider. My thought was the old being 70 years old had shrunk over time. Now with it in place the center pinch weld at the top is very tight also where the gasket contacts the roof line, no way its going in anymore and yes its pushed down to the bottom all the way, but looking inside where the gasket makes contact with the center brace it could come a little more, just at the top. As you can see from the pictures the center stainless trim is on with no problem getting the center divider nuts/bolts connected.

Attached Files: