Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why aren't hot rods selling?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49' bomb!, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Came across this on FB... 3,500 for basically a pile of metal... stuff like this isn’t helping this culture continue to the next generation..
    Adjustments.JPG IMG_5741.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Joe Warren, 41 coupe and wvenfield like this.
  2. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Kind of....they want to buy at 1965 prices, her when it comes time to sell, they want prices from God only knows when....

3. Hot Rods do sell..in some cases, some cases they don't.
    Too many variables to cast such a large net-location, price, condition, collectability, marketing, etc. all come into play.
    I have noticed a decline in sold prices of Hot Rods though..parts not so much, if anything parts prices seem to be increasing..not saying the sellers are getting those high prices.
    For those of us who have an abundance of "old car" parts, might consider asking a more realistic price for those parts, while there is still a market for them, getting them back in circulation, where they'll actually be used for their intended purpose, rather than wall hangars.

4. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

My opinion, Barret Jackson and all
    The auction co. Have destroyed
    The collector market! They turned
    It in to a "rich man's toy store"!
    Most guys can't afford to be in the
    Game. That's why you see these
    Ridiculous prices guys are asking
    On Facebook! They all think they
    Can get rich, on junk!!!!

5. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

6. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

Just to prove my point about
    Guys trying to rich! There's a
    34- 3 window , the guy wants
    $30k for a project? Give me a
    Break!!!!!

7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

The sky is falling.....the sky is falling.....

ffr1222k, Squablow and 57 Fargo like this.
  8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I am a really old guy ,can't build anymore and I have been looking for a nice driver. I walk away from sellers and their attitudes. I don't need you to tell me what its worth, or what it would cost to build it, Just let me look and give me a good price. If you want to haggle I have better things to do ,I am not on a TV show .There are buyers with money out there ,Thats my opinion anyway.

papadaddio, Thor1, ffr1222k and 6 others like this.
  9. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I read this entire thread and this is the exact reason I sold all my cars in the past few years. The reality is this is a "generational" hobby and there are fewer in it every year just because there are fewer of us every year. Some who have lots of disposable income will keep their cars till they die, at which time the family will most likely sell it at a perceived bargain. A good portion of the rest of us who are not wealthy will have to decide if looking at a 30K car just sitting in the garage and seldom driven is that important to us any longer.

ffr1222k, reefer, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well, I think it is a Willys isnt it? I wouldnt be surprised to see anything in that shape priced that way thoo_O

11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Sorry. I'm not trying to rub it in. I know what I have here and appreciate what people fought and died for so I could have it. I really feel for all you over there. Stay strong and Merry Christmas.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  12. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

No problems, I wasn't being serious. There are good things and bad things in the EU, staying street legal on the cheap and easy falls under the second - it is what it is. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

13. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Yup. And I'm sure a lot of people who build turbo LS and Barras and whatnot love traditional hot rods too. But attainableness and fun matter Alot.

ffr1222k likes this.
  14. 49' bomb!

49' bomb!

Funny, I didn't mention anyone by name but I guess they know who they are. Just another guy trying to profiteer...

15. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

One reason some Hot Rods do not sell is the fact that the are not titled properly.
    I for one, would never buy a car that is titled as a antique and is clearly not a antique.
    I just deleted most of a long rant about About Pa. Titles ,RR, and other reasons people commit fraud when getting a Pa. antique title.
    Merry Christmas.

16. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

There is a lot of truth to this. I know a lot of guys who are building off topic stuff, myself included, simply because the traditional stuff has become exponentially more expensive. Couple that with the fact that a lot of guys still want to go fast...and plopping a a thousand dollar junkyard LS into a ratty 70s or 80s body gets you there a lot easier than building a Nailhead.

ffr1222k and Stephen Barrett like this.
  17. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

One more thought: eBay and the like have been taken over completely by dealers, which of course only exacerbates the inflated pricing issue. The VERY few private sellers see these listed prices of $40K or more for the same car they have - to some extent, at least subjectively - and decide that they have to ask that much for their car, too. If they ask a price at which it will sell, they feel as though they are getting screwed, failing to see that these eBay dealers are sitting on a substantial depreciating inventory. And, while I'm on the subject, most of the "Private" eBay sellers, aren't.

And I agree with Corndog that this is a generational hobby. Same reason Harley Davidson is taking it in the shorts and trying to figure out how to sell to Millennials: Good luck with that.

49' bomb! likes this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

All the potential buyers have died of old age..... All the youth don't even want a car....period.
    Fewer than 50% of the autos on the road today are operator owned..

49' bomb! likes this.
  19. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

What on earth is a "Wolf cookie?"

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHY AREN'T HOT RODS SELLING?

Because unless it's a black Deuce hiboy or any number of 'common' builds (is there such a thing?) the majority of hot rods and customs are taylored to their owner/builder. "Hey Ricky, build me a hot rod." "Whacha want?" "Anything, surprise me." Doesn't work that way does it. So Jimmy built a 35 Chevy 2 dr sedan (coach) with a Pontiac engine, powder blue vinyl interior and purple paint. He loves it but time to sell. Guaranteed you wouldn't have to hurry up or take a nuber to get in line to see/buy it. Frank built a black Deuce hiboy with a top tier 'glass body, basic saddle tan interior, easily attainable newer chassis parts, stuffed it with a SBC and tripower, and he gives you your choice of slotted mags or painted steelies as he had both on the car at one time in it's life. Both cars offered within, let's say $2,500 of their asking prices. Jimmy can't bitch about why his car doesn't sell and nor can he bitch Frank sold his in under a month. And don't worry, seasonal norms and a booming economy will always shift the patterns and frequency. Things sell faster from March thru Oct than any other time, right? The sky's not falling and there's over 320,000,000 million people in this country. Don't tell me NOBODY wants a kool ol hot rod any more. Egg nog anyone? Merry Christmas...;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure but she damn sure meant it...good enough for me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Highlander nailed it-quality well built cars will sell-oddball ones not so much. Have had good luck with 40 Coupes

23. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I guess I'm in that middle ground. Not a kid but not old yet either. So I have both a 64 C10 with an LS and a 29 Sedan with a Flathead. At the same time I have a 66 Pontiac Catalina I've been trying to sell for a year. Lowering the price like 5 times. I'm now at the point where I'm just going too keep that one too. I guess it not just Hot Rods that aren't selling.

ffr1222k and 49' bomb! like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m happy to have a $30K 50’s car in my garage for weekend fun. I worked hard, took most of the overtime I could get to afford a home in SoCal even in the 70’s, saved without seeing it and now am comfortable at 75. I raced a bit on some of the overtime and have prized Red Hat from Bonneville.

I have made a ton of friends most but not all in this hobby. Dealers don’t impress me but I hold no grudges. I walk past RR’s and rusty bagged pickups with no bed wood and 24” wheels.

I’ll probably sell mine for 1/2 what I have in it to someone who can’t fix it and that will be the sad part. I agree on selling and not having something to odd but there will be a buyer come along. Never give up.

downlojoe33, ffr1222k and 49' bomb! like this.
  25. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I had a 51 Chrysler Windsor sedan project car with a parts car and a ton of parts listed of FB Marketplace for $1800 obo takes everything. In over six months I had one guy contact me about the car and another guy contacted me wanting to buy the visor off it. lol I decided to just keep it all. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.
    On the other had, I just sold an OT (74)Dodge D100 pickup. Decent driver. Needing some work still, but drivable project truck. Had it on FB marketplace had over 850 views and was contact by probably 15 people. Truck sold within a week to a guy in Idaho for $2200. (I was asking $2500) The guy who bought the truck said it was the exact color and everything of a truck his dad used to drive.
    I think the market for full on project cars is getting weak, unless its something that is really desirable. My 51 Chrysler is not that...so I will probably just end up keeping it. Drivable rigs seem to be where the market is now.

49' bomb! likes this.
  26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I always like to look at the cars for sale here on the HAMB and some are priced right to sell but there are many priced much higher and I understand the reasons for doing that. The old saying "there is an ass for every seat" applies here.

The same cars have been for sale on the HAMB for years it seems with no price reductions so I can only assume that there owners just like looking at pictures of their car.
    I also see more and more ads with O.B.O. which means they are open to reasonable offers.

Someone told me years ago you make your money when you buy your car and not when you sell it.
    When you sell your car you reap the rewards if you either built it or bought it for the right price in the first place.

There was a guy who used to come to the Friday night car shows and he purchased a 34 Ford that was really nice for $81,000 dollars with a 350 engine and all the billet aluminum parts but when he decided to sell he could not get any more then $36,000 out it because he paid way to much in the first place. That mistake cost him $45,000 dollars!

Jimbo

Desoto291Hemi and 49' bomb! like this.
  27. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I been in the car scene 45 years, owned more cars that I could count. I started keeping up with the big guys for a while and decided that was not my thing (@10 years). Money was not the issue, egos were. I decided to go back to my roots with stock mild customs modified to my taste. That is the best feeling when you build a car for you not for the masses.
    I bought cars at a decent price and had to move some money at times to make it work. Todays market is not what it was, the cars I sold for under 10k are now over 20k and they still sit on them wondering why aren't Hot Rods selling?
    It is true money drives a sale and timing is everything. Just watch the HAMB market place I see so many cars I would take in a minute but are way over priced in my opinion and stay posted for months or years.

Desoto291Hemi and 49' bomb! like this.
  28. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Lets see….if your old like me (70) and have a car you can't sell, and figure the kids will sell it cheap after your gone, just drive the shit out of it. Drive it everywhere, if it gets dirty, wash it. Don't worry about it, it ain't worth much anyway, right?

29. 32Stoker

32Stoker

^^^
    It has nothing to do with age. This would be the best approach for 95% of hobby car owners...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    jimmy six likes this.
  30. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Had our place appraised a few months ago, (we thought we might sell out and move closer to our son). The real estate guy, (30ish), slapped a stupid low value on it, at least as far as I am concerned. The reason? Well according to him, the younger crowd doesn't have the disretionary income to purchase a home like ours, you know with kids and outstanding student loans and such.
    So I guess I am expected to give it away?
    Sorry, same goes for my hot rods. You want to sell your 50K 57 Chevy for about 18k, I bet you can find a buyer.
    I am happy with what I have, and even though I know time is marching on, there wont be a giveaway sale at my place.
    I have lost my rear on a few and made a few bucks on some, but if you can't move it, drive it and have fun with it. Its only money.