Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Mystery Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 20, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think I may have seen it on the cover of Rodding and Restyling. One of the little pages.

3. ... I dunno' but I LOVE it !!

My favorite '32. A Cab'by.

Yeah shoot me .. but roll up windows, chopped & leaned windshield .. with or without fenders .. I'll take both. That's my thing.

Thanks Joey. Merry, merry !

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,
    Nice eye on those details. Those car shows in So Cal used to allow cars to drive into their spots on the floor. But, because it is a closed auditorium or convention hall, mufflers had to be used. It got so bad (noise and smoke) that most shows then became push in moving days, to their spots. That BBC motor looks like it had a 4 into 1 header system and popped off his chromed muffler just for the display. Yes, the 396 was not available in 1962. Those came out in 1965 and only on limited models.

My new 65 El Camino only came with a 327 as the top size motor, whereas the sedan had the option of a 396. So, yes, it is definitely not taken in 1962.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-12-20_8-26-37.png Whoever took the photo did not clean his/her lens as there are tons of dust motes that show up when enlarged or adding in some clarity to the photo. Taking photos at the drags and beaches, one had to be careful to clean the lens before important shots. If not, then the Kodak color slide would be processed with dust motes. Sometimes, the slide was clean and the dust motes got on the color slide prior to printing, too.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Always love photo investigations, looking forward to what turns up on this one

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

It looks like it has yellow spark plug wires on it. When did they first appear?

7. SR100

SR100

I'm not sure why @jnaki thinks the pic is printed from a slide. The newer it is, the less likely it is that the pic was originally a slide. If the pic is not cropped, the format that is closest to it is APS-High Def, but that wasn't released until 1996. That said, the kid in the upper right is wearing those striped jeans popular in the '70s.
    On the premise (possibly flawed) that the club jackets used the same image as their club plaque (assuming they had one) I searched @Bullet Nose 's website but didn't see anything close. I also searched the O'Brien Truckers plaques page. Two were close, but the resolution of the pic is too low to confirm:
    upload_2019-12-21_6-30-55.jpeg
    and:
    upload_2019-12-21_6-30-18.jpeg

J.Ukrop likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

"Whoever took the photo did not clean his/her lens as there are tons of dust motes that show up when enlarged or adding in some clarity to the photo. Taking photos at the drags and beaches, one had to be careful to clean the lens before important shots. If not, then the Kodak color slide would be processed with dust motes. Sometimes, the slide was clean and the dust motes got on the color slide prior to printing, too."

Hey S,
    I have been guilty of allowing dust motes to get on color slides and prints. But, the emulsion surface of the color slides just draws dust like nothing else. Going through all of our color slides from the early days to the present and saving them as digital images took a lot of work to get those dust motes off. I have a set of original slides from 1965-67 and they were covered with dust motes. Back then the way to look at slides was on one of those Carousel projectors and once viewed, the whole kit and kaboodle was put away. So, despite the slides being in a box, they still tend to gather dust.

If anyone looks at the roadster photo, it was a print. But, it looks like the copy was from a slide due to the tons of dust motes caught in the color enlargement. Unless this was from the original photographer, it was copied and printed for sale. No care was taken to make the color and clarity absolutely the best possible and that includes getting rid of those pesky dust motes.

Jnaki
    I spent hours cleaning our boxes of slides, prior to the final scan to digital format for safe keeping on our external solid state hard drives. If that digital slide has dust motes, you can use a current photo program to individually take out the millions still on the photo copy. That is a long process and straining on the old eyes. This guy who posted the photo did not take that care most of us would like. A clear photo that is in focus.

upload_2019-12-21_7-21-26.png
    upload_2019-12-21_7-21-41.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

An update! Earlier this weekend, Mark Van Acker directed my attention to a photo of the car on the Nostalgia Horsepower page on Instagram. 80689993_468001414148996_5938314709362016256_n.jpg
    Looks like more detail was added to the panel paint, and the cabriolet was dubbed "Super Beans." Although I prefer the first version, it's so cool to stumble across another piece of the puzzle. Anyone have more?

Also: Super Beans? Reminds me of Jeff Beck's "Super Prune." Similar colors, similar era. Super! 'Super Prune' Tudor - 2.jpg

10. g-townford

g-townford

First, cool you found a pic of a San Antonio rod from the '70's on EBay. Know that car well. Poncho Jemenez, with some help from his brother, Roland, and Roy Thomas, built the car from "leftovers" and serious speed parts. Pancho used to cruise the old Austin Highway (Frontier, Big Orange, Bun-n-Barrel, Princess drive-ins, etc. where I wasted my youth). Don't think many challenged the Super Beans - I mean look at it. Roland & Roy went on to build an amazing Hemi powered dragster style T-Bucket featured in Hot Rod. BTW, the yellow "A" in the staging lane was owned by Skip Bodet and had thousands of miles on it as a daily driver and part-time racer. I'll hope people with more info will fill it out from here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Charlie K, HunterYJ and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. g-townford

g-townford

There is a Texas plate on the car behind in the indoor show pic. The staging lane pic is surely at Double Eagle drag strip in San Antonio - a good chance I was there. Note the C2 Vette rearend & spring at rear. I think these pics are from mid 70's, a I pretty sure the engine is a 427 at that point. Roy?

J.Ukrop likes this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you so much for this information. I knew somebody would recognize it! I recently heard that "Super Beans" still exists and is still in Texas.

Outback and HunterYJ like this.
  13. You wouldn't be referring to Skip Bodet ... the fabricator, former Snap On Tools dealer, Legends racing series, whose dad passed down his 1956 Thunderbird to ... would ya' ?

The name is so uncommon and being from San Antonio, I'm thinking it's the same man, same family. I know he shared his dad's name ... but can't recall if the nickname was also a Jr pass down. Norman "Skip" Bodet.

That's my old Moss Branch neighbor ... if so, by the horse stables of Brookhollow and Henderson Pass.

Great guy. Been a long time. Wish he was on the HAMB.

14. Joe Rosales

Joe Rosales

Car club jacket looks identical to the
    Drifters Car Club of San Antonio IMG_0851.jpeg