Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another issue facing us old car buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we can have this same discussion every few weeks. Maybe I'm trapped in a loop like on Groundhogs Day.

Tim, Johnny99, partsdawg and 3 others like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, who DIDN'T you get a Christmas card from this year?;)

Tim, dirty old man and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess so, I'd been up all night and had just gotten my first cup of coffee

Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What? That old thing? Our son and his wife's '65 Ranch Wagon. 352, PS, nice driver, they tow a little canned ham camper I built for them. Storing it here (near Kalamazoo), they live in a subdivision near Ann Arbor, don't have room, and so as to not leave it outside and irritate their neighbors, it's here. So, I guess in that way it fits right in this thread! 80134895_10221789488549059_200733431246618624_n.jpg

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well you have understand where I’m coming from... here’s my almost daily driver!

Bones DFADDEFD-27B2-4A37-8F83-ADC9E9E2DC05.jpeg

6. topher5150

topher5150

I'm the sole car guy in our little section of the neighborhood. My neighbors are retiring this year, and plan on selling this spring it would be nice if the new neighbors are car people, or at least tolerant of my mess.

bob b., 1Nimrod and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Not from any of them!!

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We live in a nice neighborhood with the CC&R restrictions. Both my neighbor and I have built many cars in our 3 car garages but nothing is ever outside for more than a few hours. Never has been an issue in 23 years.

9. error404

error404
    from CA

One thing I do try to always do, is not work on anything loud early in the morning or in the evenings. I think that goes along way to having people tolerate our hobby.

And I do remember a neighbor once hinting to me that if I was going to cover up my vehicle with a tarp (rainy season), at least make it a tarp that doesn't have spray paint patterns all over it. (I had used the tarp to lay parts onto for spray painting in the past). A new tarp was cheap enough :)

Boneyard51, 1Nimrod and dirty old man like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice. A photo I saw here of your car inspired Craig, my son, to go for this car. It was kinda rough but we saved it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. verde742

verde742

IF there is no prick in yer neighborhood, look in the mirror, EVERY neighborhood has a prick...

wicarnut and williebill like this.
  12. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Ya right... With all the special interest group's out there today crying about stupid stuff like he made me cry bcuz he called me a #$@&... Or I don't like you bcuz... I have money and I will get my way that one is somebody that lives in there $100,000+ neighborhood and decided it's to crowded and buys five Acer's in the country next to many Six generation farms and don't like the smells or noises after building there new $100,000 home and gets there big dollar lawyer to shut down all the farmers livelihood that sinks it has happened to me and my friends families... Any way you look at it we would lose and did lose bcuz we can't take our family farm and mortgage it to get a fancy lawyer to fight in court for who knows how many year's and end up broke and no farm just bcuz they can do what they want $$$$... It SUCKS...

1Nimrod

Boneyard51, Papas32 and dirty old man like this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I don't have a garage, so I work on my cars outside. Since one of the old biddies that used to patrol the neighbourhood with a copy of the bylaws has died and gone to heck, the pressure has come off me quite a bit.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. "Ding dong, the witch is dead....................."

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. It’s my property, I bought and paid for it and I’ll do what I want on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and raven like this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I live in a development with restrictions but I knew what they were when I Built. I had to get permission to continue having a small chassis shop. All my finished cars are under the house in as my friends call it (The Museum) I have my small open car trailer down a hill out of sight and my enclosed trailer under a roof at the end of my shop. I'm a little anal about keeping the property nice so nothing sits outside.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Every time I see a thread like this,I think of friends in Florida.They live on 3000 acres.1500 of which that have been in their family since about 1886.They just purchased the additional 1500 about 3 years ago from their neighbor who retired and moved into town to live with his son.
    He could most likely fire a 105 howitzer off in his front yard and nobody would say a word.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh life is good.
    Good luck.have fun.be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Boneyard51 and raven like this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've never owned anything that I couldn't see the other side of, more or less. 3000 acres would be sweet.

It has occurred to me many times postage stamp lawns and houses packed close together, to say nothing of apartments, is a guaranteed recipe for problems.

BamaMav and dirty old man like this.
  19. G'day, We have been lucky here in ND. Our shop holds the majority of our good stuff and we have a farm to keep the other stuff stored. Problem is someone has found our farm and has started causing minor problems. They burned down the house last winter and have broken windows out of all my trucks. I guess I may have to crush some stuff.

1Nimrod and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You guys always assume the worse. I guess I live on a postage stamp piece of property. Alley entrance only(along with every body else on my block). Been operating a full time business for 19 years from my garage working on cars. No problems yet. People that live a block away don`t even know that my business is there. I figure it would cost me about $100,000 plus the sale of my place to upgrade to a larger shop with a house and a little land. You make do with what you have.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Don’t like the rules? Run for the office to change it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Read his ^^^^^^^^ signature by Will Rogers.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's so cute the way you think we're gonna vote our way outta this shit show.

das858, warbird1, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well I'm just pointing out packing people in like sardines isn't the best way to achieve peace, love, and understanding.

25. We don't have a neighbor within a 1/4 mile. However We occupy three acres on a hwy intersection. A couple hundred cars. clothline. shoot my gun ect. No one has ever said anything to my face about my mess. A few complained on the Local Topix Forum. My hoard being a property value lowering eyesore takes second place far behind the chicken grower house dead rotting carcass smell. There are over 125 chicken grower houses on the 19 mile stretch of hwy 93 between our corner and the Missouri state line. Most real close to the highway.

26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

that is how they get implemented in the first place.

27. You save up the old tires and to celebrate earth day you have a huge smoky tire kill.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well no, not really. In any case it only ratchets one way, if you hadn't noticed.

1Nimrod and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. Good link to lots of situations that only an Aussie could solve . To much to read in one go.

wraymen and j hansen like this.
  30. I live right in the big city. (Minneapolis, Mn) I keep all my less desirable tin in the backyard. Up until recently, i had a couple of model a chassis' back there too. I've never had any neighbor complaints, or even the city come down on me. There is, however a suburb to the south of me, where one of the newly elected city council members wanted to pass a law stating no "inoperable, or unused vehicles, boats, atv, etc in driveways, backyards, or even garages" Turns out this a-hole owns most of the storage facilities in that city. I wonder what motivation was behind that thought. Needless to say, that city has a lot of car guys living & working there, his bid for re-election will be shot down after one term

R A Wrench, nochop, 1Nimrod and 3 others like this.