Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another issue facing us old car buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 21, 2019.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

I have been in a battle with my landlord because I own an old car, and once owned more than one. The restrictions have cost me my spare parts,tools , car trailer and peace of mind. The housing unit is related to my job, so needless to say, I am looking for new digs.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. rc57

rc57

If you lock your dog and your wife in the trunk for 2 hours, which one is gonna be happy to see you when you open it back up?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

That is hilarious rc57. It is true that a dog is the most forgiving animal ever. Just one of their amazing traits.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ole Merle put us on the map! That’s for sure, but don’t believe everything he sung! We have the distinction of being the exact same size we were in 1949! I love it! Small town....small problems! I get into “discussions “ with folks that want Muskogee to grow! Why? It seems to be the universal understanding! Why? I like a small town, the one I actually grew up in has a population of 300, in Southern, Muskogee, county. That is were the ranch and my 75 cars are. If we want to go to a “ big” town I go to Muskogee! Really if I wanted to live in a “ city” I would move to Tulsa.

I’m happy just the way things are and where I’m at! Come see me! I’ll show you around, just don’t come at 5:00. We have a rush 5 minutes then!

This is a reply to 6sally6, but for some reason, it won’t let me “ quote” Bones

Bones

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    alanp561 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I guess I’m spoiled having lived out in the country all my life, but I have never understood the mentality of wanting to live in town. Especially in one of those developments where the houses are so close you can piss out the window onto your neighbors house! Before I started driving a truck for a living, I always had to drive to work, one time it was 80 miles one way. I just thought that was normal, there weren’t any good paying jobs close to me, if you wanted more than minimum wage you had to drive at least 30 miles one way.

I grew up in the city limits of a small town of about 500 people on a 4 acre plot, we never had any problems. When I got married we got the wife’s home place, 8.5 acres, I was stoked to have that much space, still am. I actually take care of my place, my pa in laws place across the highway, and part of the wife’s uncle’s place, probably close to 20 acres total. I don’t mind, I do as I please with all of it. I have had as many as 20 junkers back there behind the house, nobody said anything. I don’t do as much anymore, so I’m down to two, and you have to look to find them.

I always figured living in town was for folks who didn’t have the car hobby. I figured they watch sports all weekend, or maybe play golf or softball. Cars are simply transportation for most of them. Sure, they’ll come out to a cruise in or show, walk around and look, but most don’t know a Edsel from a Pontiac. I may be painting with a broad brush, but that’s just my observations around here.

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Same thing happened to OCIR, and also to Riverside Raceway. Both of them were originally built in the middle of nowhere, housing & development crept up around them, and noise complaints shut them down.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ya, you got that all wrong.

e1956v likes this.
  8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived for 25 years in a development with an HOA and covenants. The only problem was a neighbor over landscaping. One phone call and he lost.

We moved 3 years ago to a larger lot, no covenants. First time I mowed the lawn in the spring (long and wet), the neighbor showed up in his 22 HP Toro, and mowed it down in front of me. "You want to have a good neighbor, you got to be a good neighbor" he told me.

He's got 2 restored Model A's, the guy across the street I share the well with had a 36 Packard and a 61 Impala conv. Guess I got lucky.

61Cruiser, alanp561, weps and 3 others like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wet Spring in Tucson? Really? I guess it’s everywhere we broke records here In Oklahoma , too!

Bones

10. finn

finn

Mixed emotions about the whole issue of HOAs and restrictions. Growing up, my folks built a brand new, albeit modest post WWII house in a subdivision out in the township..no zoning restrictions. The owner of the house next door started running a body shop out of his garage. No zoning, remember.

As a kid, I loved it. He always had a dozen or more late forties to early sixties cars in various states of disrepair hanging out, but it was essentially a junkyard on a postage sized lot in a subdivision.

We moved in the early sixties, and my parents took a bath selling that house, probably to the tune of forty percent compared to other, equivalent houses that weren’t next to a junkyard. The township did eventually adopt zoning ordinances, but the neighbor hung a business sign above the garage door so he was grandfathered.

My own first house was in a new HOA development in the mid 70s. Problem was, the board was weak and didn’t enforce the rules. Last time I drove through the neighborhood, it was a dump.

Next house was in a more upscale area, with city ordinances prohibiting boat and rev storage. Thirty five years later the area still looks great.

My current shop is on a few acres in an Unzoned township, but the county has a junk car ordinance. My parts cars are behind the shop, but not well screened. This thread sort of sensitized me to really get serious about setting up a fence, out of consideration for the neighbors.

We just bought a winter home in a very restricted HOA neighbored in Arizona. Bought by choice. I know what the rules are, and what the trade offs are. If I decide I can’t live without a shop for five months, I will buy or rent one.

alanp561, weps and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. error404

error404
    from CA

Agreed. there are project vehicles all over my neighborhood. in driveways, on streets, and in yards. Jut depends on where you live I guess. I've lived in a neighorhood where I felt like I was the only one who worked on vehicles, and now I'm in a neighborhood where it seems like most people do.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bones, it was wet in Kent WA. But just so you know about Tucson. Snow on the grapefruit tree. Right after I bought it to get out of the cold weather in Kent.

Attached Files:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOA = little houses made of tricky-tacky and they all look just the same. What do buyers expect?

No problem in East Central Brrmont. (An occasional miss-aimed flood light from a neighbor’s property, but a friendly chat usually remedies that.)

Ned Ludd and nochop like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Oh!Wow! I guess I just missed that Kent.... went right to Tucson! My bad! You guys are wet up there all the time aren’t you? We’re having a little colder than usual weather here , too. But not bad!

Bones

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

The "anti-clothesline issue" may be going away, since the "Greenies" newest campaign is to promote laws to restrict the use of energy consuming electric/gas dryers!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Are you out by Aylmer?

17. I completely agree, also it’s super cold up there in the winter!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. WHAT HE SAID!

Ben

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The rural township I live in has zoning ordinances that dictate on can't keep unlicensed, non operable vehicles outside within site of the road. Seems reasonable to me. I'm proud of my home, and try to keep my property looking tidy and neat. Just finished a storage shed to keep our trailer a couple cars, and my lawn equipment in. My daily driver project is indoors. My T'bird and Riviera project are indoors, out of the elements and safe. I wouldn't buy a home in a subdivision with an HOA, but if I did, I wouldn't bitch about the rules, I'd research before I bought and comply if I did. 80555026_10221795111369626_7311348069503598592_n.jpg 79318116_10221789489109073_5591512442560577536_n.jpg 78087413_10221693600631921_8101024858239926272_n.jpg 80060617_10221799226832510_942237196776112128_o.jpg

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like I said, that’s in my area, yours may be different.

21. Budget36

Budget36

I guess you missed the humor in my reply...

22. Ziggster

Ziggster

Not quite. Further north, past Wakefield, QC. AYlmer is booming with hundreds of town houses. Absolutely crazy last time I drove around. Still some nice lots out towards the country between the river and mountains.

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Not just old car buffs, but tuners, truck guys, etc. These rules probably came about by one guy who was disrespectful and noisy. No one likes noisy neighbors. Get to know your neighbors and be respectful.

Non car example. I lived in a building that had a size limit for dogs. My dog was WAY over that limit, but I was always nice and respectful to all the old folks in the building and my dog was quiet. No one ever complained or reported me. The same happened when building cars in my garage.

Boneyard51 and dirty old man like this.
  24. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I just bought a house not to long ago with an HOA. I've always stayed away from them and was able to do pretty much anything I wanted. The only reason I bought it was because almost all of the houses where we wanted to be had them and we were on a timeline.
    While my neighbors are cool, the restrictions are crazy, and I have my eye out for what I was looking for in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like your style!......but why didn’t you mention the 65 Ford Wagon?

Bones

26. blazedogs

blazedogs

The Wife and I drove down a main drag near our home yesterday where there is a huge housing development going up. The house are about 30 -40 ft apart There are no windows on the sides of the houses that faces the next ,otherwise you could'nt sit in the bathroom in your own home without privacy , they are all identical..
    These houses are selling like hot cakes go figure???

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. I can’t see another house from anywhere in my yard....no one cares what I do. That being said, my yard is nice, all my stuff is put away

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

A floodlight story from a guy with a warped sense of humor:
    http://www.27bslash6.com/halogen.html

34 GAZ, williebill, stanlow69 and 3 others like this.
  29. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Yep, pretty much the way it is here^^^

Thanks for that. You gave me a chuckle for Christmas.

stanlow69 and Lerenzo Rawson like this.