Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser 4spd transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratrodjay, Dec 22, 2019.

1. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

I'm building a 36 Plymouth coupe period Gasser, building a small journal 327 (forged internals) with a 6-71...600 hp on pump gas, 700+hp race fuel and more boost. The real question here is what 4sd trans will hold up to "wheels up" launches? I have an Aluminum case T10-1C circa 1961/62 with a 7B tailshaft. Can this be built up to handle the abuse? Should I look elsewhere? Doug Nash? Muncie? What are you guys running? 1577076505331.jpeg 1577076444020.jpeg 1577076472372.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

That early T10 is not going to hold up to the kind of abuse you're predicting. They were only rated at 300 horse or so. I believe most of the successful SE Gasser racers are running something called a Hightower modified Toploader. Might be worth investigating.

Devin

loudbang, Quain Stott and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Torque and where the rubber meets the road is the real concern.
    Consider a Richmond Super T-10, not bulletproof but none of GM's production trans will hold up if serious dragstrip duty is planned.

20160807_135120.jpg
    Here is the 4 speed that my roadster has in it, the Richmond Super T-10[​IMG]

Quain Stott and mgtstumpy like this.

4. squirrel

squirrel

lots of guys were going to slushboxes when the power got up that high. I run a 400 with mostly old stuff inside behind my blown 427. It's set up for manual shift, and uses an early switch pitch torque converter.

Like he said, if you want to run a 4 speed, you probably need to step up to something modern.

greaseSlinger57, loudbang and swade41 like this.
  5. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you want it to look similar to a Muncie / BW Super T10 then consider a Tex Racing T-101
    You can alter any gears [including input/countershaft] to suit your needs.

loudbang likes this.
  6. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

Thanks for all response, we live in a technical world now. Amazing machinery, cnc, high tolerances etc. Knowledge that didn't exist in the 60's/70's. Not everyone was running a b&m automatic. I know, tire compound wasn't as advanced as today's compounds...in the late 60's/early 70's they became knowledgeable...rubber compounds became "sticky'. The 409 was a 425 hp as advertised. I know alot of these guys were running 4spds successfully. Doug Nash started becoming known in 63...yet to be known for his transmissions. My question is, what 4spds were they running then? Muncies? I should probably sell my 61/62 T10-1C to a Corvette guru. Guess I'm looking for a Doug Nash 4spd to keep with period Nostalgia. Guess I was hoping for that one guy to chime in and say, yeah...I did it but got build it this way...lol! Wishful thinking...maybe I'll build it up anyway...see what happens

Sent from my moto g(7) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wheels up w/a period correct production 4spd will work, briefly. You're right in thinking it needs bullet-proofed. It's the reason most stick guys just move up to the current crop of race-ready units & move on. ($$)

loudbang likes this.
  8. BSL409

BSL409

Yes you will be wasting your money on any Super T10 or T10&Muncie for drag racing
    the G force 101A is a great box! its also how you set your clutch up and with the correct slippage

9. 51box

51box
    from MA

If you want to run a production trans, a top loader is your best bet. The aluminum case GM stuff is not going to hold up.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  10. daliant

daliant

A good adjustable clutch is whats going to keep the transmission alive, but that T10 isn't going to survive long with that much power going through it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. The old T10 gears from that era are not very robust. Narrow teeth sections,,,compared to later models,,,,,the same goes for the cluster. When you compare the width to later models,,side by side,,it is painfully obvious.
    That is why they started changing the gear sets after that time period,,,mid to late 60’s saw an enormous jump in strength.
    Like the guys said,,,,,at the minimum,,,use a Super T10,,,,your pocketbook will thank you.
    And to be fair,,,on the track,,,,,,at your projected HP levels,,,it won’t last too long.

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you even consider a Toploader make sure it is a big block model with the big input shaft otherwise you would be better off with what you have. My toploader lasted 3 passes with a small block Ford before it twisted the input shaft.
    Most of the SEGA guys use Hightower or G force. Do you need synchros ? With your blower you will make a lot of torque and that kills driveline parts.
    If you are not rule restricted, then just run a turbo 400. I ran a almost stock 400 except for a trans brake valve body and redline clutches in a nitrous fed 477 big block that dyno'ed 800 hp on straight motor and over 1200 h.p on nitrous. I lasted 2 season's of racing it at least 40 weekends a year .

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. Quain Stott can help you decide which 4 speed tranny is the best since he is the man behind Southeast Gassers. HRP

14. car doctor

car doctor

G- force transmission!!!!!

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^ Tex T-101....killer trans, dog syncros if you want to call them that. I shift with no clutch at El Mirage and Bonneville. Thousands of gear ratio/combos available. Most all old NASCAR stored parts.

loudbang and Mimilan like this.
  16. Ole Bill Smith over the years just fixed whatever broke on his 55 chevy Htp. He sidesteps the clutch at high RPM with a 86 pound flywheel. His transmission is a Chrysler 4 speed like they used with a 426 HEMI. I once owned a N case close ratio T 10 that I got from a 64 galaxie that had a FE that I beat on pretty hard. I never tore it up. however I damaged the syncros and it fell out of third gear when I decelerated.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. I run three speeds. that way I don't cry when I tear one up.

bobss396 likes this.
  18. There's no nostalgic "era correct" 4 speed trans going to hold up to that power, that's why they go to "non era correct" trannies, all is not what it seems under the sugar coat.

loudbang, squirrel and Old wolf like this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

We ran a Chrysler hemi box that was a done over for racing and it worked great. But a G-force is more readily available as is a Jericho. Don't use a heavy flywheel and you will be a little easier on your parts.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

If it's not street driven I'd use a Jerico dr4, which is based on a Ford toploader.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  21. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I use an old school Toploader behind a 800+hp nitrous assisted 355. Same transmission since 2011 with plenty of wheels-up hi-rpm launches, still no broken gears. It's even a small in/out Toploader, the key to it's long life is that the car was used as a test bed to develop the ClutchTamer clutch hit controller. It's an off topic car so I won't post a pic, but here's a link to it's web page. Just scroll down to find the details on the transmission as well as the ClutchTamer install... http://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

The tech to make a ClutchTamer was available back in the day, just wish I had invented it 50 years ago :) Lots of wheels-up racers using it, here's a link to a magazine article about the 'tamer.. https://www.racepagesdigital.com/ta...zSyr9esqDFDyVmYWZxM2LDBvocnrGsKmbiUHSYKYh3ZuU

Grant

Baumi, seb fontana, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

So you want to be traditional and live the life of days gone by. Sorry might as well build the new era gassers with high dollar transmissions and aluminum blocks ect...That isn't traditional. Sorry anyone can build a so called gasser with a big wallet...flame away. 800 hp? Money always spoils everything fun. Can't wait for the responses. This is still a traditional site right? 700 hp 327 you better be looking at that first. That's a lot of beans out of a 327. . Reliably. Lippy

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did someone say 327!:D

24. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

You need something worry free like a Liberty or Jerico.

25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Sorry, but I'm a little puzzled about how it is "no fun" and "spoils everything" to buy the best driveline parts available? In my experience, spending the $ up front, then making pass after pass without scattering your junk and your oil all over the track is far more fun (and cheaper and safer) than breaking your stuff every weekend. Back when I was a teenager, a 14 second car was respectable, and junkyard transmissions were pocket change. None of that is true today.

26. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Either a Jerico or a G-Force with a soft-loc style clutch. They both usually have used units to sell.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The same goes with that whole Muncie versus Saginaw yawwwn.
    People are always saying "those Muncies are expensive" and I can swap a Saginaw in a couple hours, I guess I just don't like doing things twice.

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok I'll play your game. How about a Lenco? Lippy

porknbeaner and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  29. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Gasser never had lenco. Lenco was introduced in 1972.

loudbang and Old wolf like this.