Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why can't I sell my Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Mac, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome car I would love to own it.

Stogy likes this.
  2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Good looking car

, If Craigslist was still free I would say put it on there in sf Bay Area and maybe LA , you never know when some ad company may want a prop car ect and Bay Area still seems to have a love for the T’s

have you tried eBay yet?

3. I dropped the price on my '50 Ford coupe and have gotten several PM's asking questions, everyone I have talked to says the price is more than fair and I have a guy coming to look at the car this afternoon. HRP

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Good Idea, No I just can't bring myself to do eBay yet.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't use eBay. They've raised their rates considerably. Besides nothing on there ever meets the reserve as everyone is afraid they'll pay too much.

6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Skip, You should own it. I'll make you a smoking deal on the car.

Stogy likes this.
  7. I haven't read through all the answers, so I may be beating the poor dead horse, but here's my opinion:
    Beautiful car, but-
    1.) You're going against a flooded market.
    2.) Older guys may not want the sound of open pipes
    3.) Fat guys can't fit behind the wheel
    4.) Half of the country is under snow for half of the year
    5.) Family guys need more seats
    6.) Younger guys can't afford it/not into that style.
    Hate to say it, but your best bet is through a broker like Classic Cars <dot> Com or an auction site

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I believe eBay is still good for exposure , put the bidding low but a high reserve with a selling locally for 20k and your phone # for questions .. I think there’re is still a large audience not tapped by the hamb believe it or not ..
    use all the terms in search also ,rat rod, t bucket ,street rod ,muscle car ,collector

you might find someone who is looking for something else ...sees a picture of your car and didn’t know they needed to have it

9. upspirate

upspirate

As much as we on the HAMB detest the "RR" term, that's what a lot of folks call anything old now so use that in description, or tag elsewhere

Stogy and OFT like this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Surfcityrocker and Stogy like this.
  11. It’s too nice.
    Some barn dust and primer spots
    Maybe some faded lettering.
    Might get 20k out of it.

Lloyd's paint & glass and Stogy like this.
  12. Well the local guy that came to look at the car said it was too rough for him, he picked it apart and then offered mt 4 grand, I politely told him he was wasting my time and his, he then ask me my bottom dollar, I told him exactly what I told you on the phone when you called.

He then said that I had caused him to hook up his trailer and he hated to go back home with a empty trailed, he then ask me if I would listen to another offer and I told him his best bet was to look elsewhere for that perfect car that needed nothing cheap.

As I see it and this is from first had experience, some people want perfection and don't have the talent to make it happen but want to buy it for next to nothing. HRP

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I do not know the situation with the 13 year old but if the kid has his/her head on straight and the parents are on board, maybe something to pursue. Good reason for a kid to get a part time job. He/she is ahead of the other potential buyers by a grand. Also good way for a kid to get involved in the hobby.

clem likes this.
  14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You have a limited audience on here. Half of the guys are builders, and want to build it their own way, the other half already have a car and are satisfied with it. The reality is our hobby is one where the younger generation doesn't care to get involved. My grandson loves hot rods, but when it comes to putting money in something, he always gets a rice burner and slaps a boom box in the back seat, and a loud muffler on it, and considers it a cool souped up car. That's what all his friends are doing also. The people who can afford to put $15K into a car that sets in a garage 6 months out of the year in a lot of states, is dwindling. If you really want to sell it, I would put it on every site I could think of. Have you tried the Roundup magazine. Are you a member of the NSRA, if so, consider an ad in that, remember when you send it in, it will not be posted for 3 months. Good luck.

15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Half are builders, half already have a car, and the third half always have room for one more. The HAMB is still a good place to list a car like this. I would have been very interested in the car a few years ago but have since bought a dune buggy that kinda serves the same purpose.

16. glrbird

glrbird

I though your car was very fair priced, but some think he is getting desperate and I can steel it. I don’t like that type of buyer, make me an offer and move on!

arkiehotrods and Stogy like this.
  17. Hate to say it HRP, but that's about how 90% of the buying public thinks, talented or not. And lets be honest here, when's the last time you've gone to look at a car and thought, "I wonder how much over what he's asking will he take?" Today you found out your car was worth 4 grand. You're just going to have to wait for the day it gets to your 8 grand price.
    RJP

18. The license plate is up for renewal in January and so is the insurance, I'll probably turn in the tag, drop the insurance and cover the car up and just let it set. HRP

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

HRP, if I were you I'd get that shoebox running and driving and you'll have a much better chance of moving it. There are lots of Rodder Wannabees out there without the knowledge, skill set, tools or the first idea how to get a car running and driving. You always get more for a running driving car then a project.

Gary

Budget36 likes this.
  20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

That might be a good plan for me too. I have an old barn where I kept the body stored before I built the car so I could just put it back and some day it will be a barn find.:rolleyes:;)

21. read his ad. it is running and driving.

22. clem

clem

Sounds like the only offer thus far, might be your only one.
    For a 13 year old to be that determined, he must be genuine. (and family).
    I would be trying to work with him on it...........but that’s just me.........

wraymen likes this.
  23. I agree totally but first check your hidden stash to make sure it isn't a grand short.;)

Budget36, lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  24. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I bought mine on Facebook Marketplace. It was up for a while as I was scrambling selling off a bunch of stuff just to get the funds. The seller didn't even know I was out there till the day I called him. The next day I bought it. Leave some wiggle room on the price. People don't really like firm prices. You'll sell it just be patient. This is a specialty market. There is only a small amount of people interested in cars like yours. They are out there though. The fact that yours is steel is in your favor. I personally would never buy a fiberglass Hot Rod no matter how nice or cheap it was. You don't want to look like you need the money. People can smell that from a mile away. Good luck.

SquintBoy and jim snow like this.
  25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Thanks for your comments. I have had it on FB Marketplace before maybe I'll try it again.

26. have you tried a Bring a Trailer ? Nice car...

jazz1 likes this.
  27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

No problem. What are your plans when you sell it. Do you have another build in mind?

28. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I find it entertaining that many would rather let a car sit, and get nothing out of spite, than let it go for what the market has deemed its worth. This, among other reasons, is why a younger demographic is reticent to get involved in this hobby.

Just a tip.....if only one person has made an offer in the extended time an item has been for sale....then that is likely what that item is worth. You may not like it....and it may hurt your feelings, but that's the way it works.

29. fms427

fms427

Very well done car - I don’t think it is overpriced at all - probably underpriced. I have not had a lot of luck selling finished cars on H.A.M.B. classified. H.A.M.B. guys are builders - more likely to buy raw material to build. I would raise the price and put on other sites - even EBay. A lot of places out there now - and that car should sell for a good price - to the right person. You just have to find him - probably not on the H.A.M.B....

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

40FORDPU likes this.
  30. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

I don't think it's to cheap. The market is soft . I don't think alot of people want a T.
    There are alot of good deals out there.

Desoto291Hemi and chromelady like this.