Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another issue facing us old car buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 21, 2019.

1. This morning, I'm gonna go out back and blast the 'ol scattergun a couple of times. Then throw some stuff on the burn pile and light it off.
    No ''neighborhoods'' for this dude.

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mean to be rude so let me see if I understand this. If you get complaints from someone about your junk that you own, you want the people who complain to haul your personal property away?o_O:confused:

3. Muckler

Muckler
    from NH USA

Soon they will be after our old out dated planet ruining gasoline engines, and our abilities to build cars/hot rods, .. rendering anything over 10 years old or so illegal.
    VOTE...…. Don't let it happen in your area.

earleg, warbird1, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  4. Excellent idea, maybe burn a tire or two for ambience!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf, vtx1800 and chevy57dude like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A guy here in town, 5000+ was complaining because someone was doing a brake job in the driveway( in one of the nicer parts of town). Said it wasn`t right. I said, what, just because he lives in the nice part of town, they should have different rules. I said bullshit.

6. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I find that city folks tend to want to tell everyone else how to live their lives, what they can and can not do and basically conform to their ideas and standards.
    Country folks, not so much.
    Guess where I live.

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I know this is skirting the rules around here, but it's a great analogy about the political differences between the 2 areas as well. All those folks that like to tell everyone else how to live, guess how they vote. Those that believe in live as you like and allow your neighbor to do the same, guess how they vote. Look at any map that breaks down geographic areas by political parties and it's pretty easy to see.

8. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I live in a subdivision in Canada if I went outside and shot a gun in the air and lit a fire in my yard - I’m leaving the property in hand cuffs. But I am allowed to have a clothesline and work on cars in the driveway?

9. trollst

trollst

Where I live, we're going through that to some degree, I live in a little town three hours east of Vancouver B.C., property values in the city are forcing a lot of folks out of there and they're coming here, great to have them, for the most part they try to fit in. BUT, there are some who try their damdest to bring the city with them, they pave their driveways, manicure their five acre lots in the five acre subdivision and think they can dictate rules to others who don't share the same views, EG, you can have a horse, but no cows, cause horses are cool, and cows are a source of income. I live ten minutes outside of town, got hillbillies beside me, shit everywhere, most of it got the hoods up, I share a driveway with them and generally, they are horrible neighbours, plugging the driveway with their logging trucks, until I remind them it is also my driveway and if they continue, I'll plug my portion off so the can't get home, problem usually solved. I got cars in my yard and generally we play the live and let live game, cause we live in the country where getting along matters most.

alanp561, dirty old man and Blues4U like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I lived most of my adult life in a small house on a fully fenced “postage stamp” sized lot in L.A., built cars and bikes to my hearts content for years. My neighbors liked to talk about the strange sounds and light coming from my shop as I built stuff. I fixed stuff and inflated tires for everyone when I could. But the old lady next door finally died, a flipper cleaned up the place and sold it to a non-English speaking family who promptly called the city to complain. I tried to always take the neighbors into consideration but he was pretty OCD and I tend to be the opposite so we clashed. I ended up leasing a building and opening my hot rod shop. He ended up losing his job, losing his house and going back to his home country.
    I now live on five acres out in the country with car guys for neighbors. I do 98% of my work in the shop with the door down. I can grind, weld, hammer, paint or fire my weapons whenever I want or just sit back and listen to my neighbors do the same. Life’s good.
    Funny thing, without all the ambient noise of the city sometimes it’s so quiet you can hear neighbors arguing a mile away or boats on the nearby lake.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Recently moved from restrictive NY to Kentucky.......nice to be back in America !

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm, am I smart or lucky? I'm in rural SE Mich. I can cut, weld, paint, grind, build, store, burn and shoot (!) on my property and nobody says shit about it. Now granted, I'm not some "YEEE HAAWWW!!" redneck with a fuck everybody attitude (no offense to YeeeHaww rednecks;) ). I have neighbors and I'm courteous to their peace and quiet. Once the sun sets in the warmer months I tend to abstain from the noisiest of activities. The other reality for me is that now I have a commercial shop so not much happens here except the burning and shooting in season, maybe some domesticated shit now and then. I often hear how "nice" some like to tell me they have it in their HOAs and condos because they don't cut grass or move snow. Well, sux to be you I say. Some group of licknob posers will NEVER tell me what I can do in my home or on my land. Again, not a fuck everybody ideal. I like peace and quiet too. I don't even care that dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles and the occasional hot rod go by with a bit of a ruckus now and then. So be it, I CHOSE to live here, and if others choose to have licknobs tell em what to do or not do, hey man, whatever rolls your socks down.

chevy57dude, wraymen, trollst and 2 others like this.
  13. Binkman

Binkman

I can understand part of the parking restrictions.
    I live is a small town that has grown up and has become somewhat developed. On my street there was only my house and one other place. About 5 years ago the huge property across from me was sold and sub divided. 5 really nice homes went in and right cross from me there are 2 really shitty modular homes. The owners have toilets in front of their house with flowers, campers, trailers, etc.
    Their tennants moved into the other modular with 5 cars and 3 motorcycles right across from me. Now I have a Power Wagon, a 25 ft. boat, a truck and camper, and all their guests in front of my place. It looks lile a storage yard out there. I can seldom park in front of my house. The rest of the neighbors are flipping out about the mess. The county says they are not in violation but that they are going to be anmending the reg's due to other complaints in the area. I pay to store some of my stuff so I don't cause problems. Some people are just plain selfish.

14. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Do like me. I built my shop to look like my house but it's really a steel building with a alleyway entrance. I have a 25 foot carport in the back and I can work all day and night if I want to and no one can see what I'm doing. 0109171643b.jpg 20170805_182306.jpg 20170824_131507.jpg

15. I live just outside a small town in Pa. Close to Hershey. I am right at the bottom of a mountain. I can build, cut ,grind paint, hammer yell and very few people seem to notice. Bonfire outback, sit on the porch and drink beer, work in the drive way. However, you go 8-10 miles toward the city and things quickly change.

OG lil E, Boneyard51 and chevy57dude like this.
  16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live on 5+ acres 3 miles from the town (some call it a town) of about 900. No paved streets but we do have chip/seal. No curbs, sidewalks, sewers but do have a volunteer fire department and a sheriff department that rarely sends a marked car around. Nice and quiet except for the occasional gunfire, hot rods, and amatuer drag racers.

No one around here lets the property go and there are few yard cars around. The missus, however, will not allow auto parts (to include truck parts, I recently found out) and other stuff lying around for all to see. She lets the trailers live outside but on the north side of the detached 32 x 50 shop so she cannot see them. That's right--no engine blocks propped up by the fence, no hoods leaning against the fence or buildings, and no car frames in the grass. And no yard cars--ever. If she can't see it then all is right at my house.

You folks with a HOA or a codes officer think you have a rough time? Sissies....you're a bunch of sissies.

17. 6sally6

6sally6

alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. Depending upon where you live this may be happening sooner than you think... it's already happening with natural gas for residential heating in the area I'm in.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I too, am the old guy with the old car in my HOA neighborhood. Everyone likes my old car, so they say as they constantly stop by when I’m working on it..........”Life Is Good “ I’m thinking. Then I set it up in the driveway while I clean out my 2 car attached garage over a couple of days. Neatly wrapped very tight with 2 new tarps up on 6 ton jack stands. 2 days later I received a notice in the mailbox from HOA stating it was a “eye sore “ and “Un-Appropriate For Our Neighborhood.” Gave me 5 days to move it or place it in garage. Found out from HOA it was an anonymous letter from 1 of my neighbors. Neighbors tell me that “ they could not think who would have done that.”

Boneyard51 and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  20. 34Larry

34Larry

So this is my place and has been since Sept 9th 1974, 45 years. I have kept it like this all that time and for the most part the neighbors in the large community have also.................until Amazon and the tech companies displaced thousands in Seattle because of rent and over the top house prices.
    This community was built in 1955 and so a large percentage of the houses here have become rentals in the last few years. Mostly well kept with decent people residing in them up until the large migration south out of the city. That happening brought in low income, (and I'll add, the non-caring elements of society) and did just that. They could care less about how they live, how many people occupy a single family residence and how many vehicles are parked on the lawns, how much trash and garbage is strewn around the entire house. I think you get the picture.
    HOA's and city ordinances prevent this from occurring driving down the home prices, and detouring insistent crime element and rates that come along with this happening.
    This city does not patrol for violations, those must be reported, (of which I have had to do/ even to my worthless grandson who lives in my oldest daughters place directly across the street from me when he tried making his back yard a mobile home park for fifth wheeler's).
    The point here is that there are places for what you are experiencing, that will make a better life experience for every one. For the most part, people cause adverse actions against law abiding people by being bad actors. If you can eliminate that lowlife in our world you will not need HOA' and the like.
    I'm including a shot of my place, but for some reason it disappear after a couple of seconds, hoping I can insert it and post this fast enough for it to be included. And BTW, I don't like this action by the HOA's or City any more than any of you do. But it has protected my well being, property, and my family.

Randall, OG lil E and nochop like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Some ahole moved next to Altamont Raceway near Tracy Ca, bitched about the noise and the raceway got shuddered.....fricken ahole

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t get me started, if people would just act decent human beings and recycle or throw the garbage in a fricken garbage can we wouldn’t have to pay for shopping bags, or give up straws....mini rant over

Randall, OG lil E, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  23. Wyoming seems to be sparsely populated. If I wasn't so dang old, I'd be thinkin.

24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Its a damned shame when they change codes and ordinances to suit someones WANTS to supercede your RIGHTS! Is restoring a car in your driveway hazardous, immoral, obscene, against the constitution, against federal or state laws, or otherwise just not good practice? NO! Where would this country be if such draconian ordinances been in effect back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. We'd still be riding horse and buggy with the attendant horseshit! Oh wait a minute, we still have the horseshit, just without the majority of the horse, just it's ass!

Boneyard51 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

DSC00592.JPG The law enforcement in my town are pretty cool when it comes to classics and hot rods. They even have one of their old cop cars they restored and bring it to some shows.

Boneyard51 and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is the main key right there: keeping the place clean and well kept looking even if you do drag home another project every once in a while or work on them out where everyone can see.
    I drove down a street this morning to look at a house I thought my son might be interested in. There was one older motor home sitting on the street in front of an older house that probably hasn't moved in two years and a couple of doors down a pickup with enough trash around it sitting on the street that shows it hasn't moved in a while. Around the corner and on the street where the house I went to do a drive by look see was every house and yard was neat and clean though.
    Most of us who choose to buy a place can find a place where there isn't a home owners association or neighborhood restrictions if we hunt a bit. Still you may give up as much as you gain because others take advantage of those same lack of restrictions. Tighter restrictions often mean higher property values.
    I live out in the middle of a 70 acre hay field and have way too much stuff sitting out and a few rigs that need to be gone. My having the slows on getting my shop built to stick what I want to keep in is a big part of that mess though. When the shop is done people who drive by all the time will think I have moved.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Mikey.
    I too, like you mind my own business. I will wave or acknowledge any one else who does the same. Not much for gabbing with neighbors though, keep much to my self. Wife thinks I am unfriendly.............go figure

bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  28. Wife n I were moving from country to town. Looking at house with large lot the Realtor says you don't even have to mow the lawn as Home Owners Assoc. does that. I started laughing and told him "I'm the guy the HOA s are trying to keep out."

We found large lot with no HOA restrictions. My wife makes sure I keep front n back yard clear of stuff. Fortunatly I have a 3,000 square feet metal building to keep my stuff in as well as 2,000 square feet fenced side yard for parts cars.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

29. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Where I live it's kinda respect your neighbors and they will respect you. Have no problems, but I live in what some people call Hooterville, pop 807.

LOU WELLS and wraymen like this.
  30. HOA have their place and I believe they start out with good intentions. The problem is the people that lead them and the clicks you need to fit into to get fair treatment. I’ve seen them come down on guys because they talked a little different or voted for the wrong person. Pure crap instigated by insecure assholes. If your in one you need to know the rules by heart and participate as much as you can. It also helps to treat people the same way you wish to be treated.
    My little community of 12 homes has one. There is no president and no rules are enforced but we all try and keep it nice. Friggin’ perfect!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019