Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Pontiac Coupe (series 25 small body) build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, Dec 7, 2019.

1. AGELE55

AGELE55

Looking ahead, there are a few pieces missing from the body. I have no vent window regulators. Because the 39 series 25 is virtually identical to the 39 Chevy coupe, is it safe to assume Chevy vent windows will fit?
    Anyone have a lead or suggestion where to find them?

nunattax likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

3. nunattax likes this.
  4. AGELE55

AGELE55

I'm digging a 5.7 Vortec out from the back of the shop tomorrow ( hopefully) and picking up a turbo 350 from the next door neighbor. It's coming together.

5. AGELE55

AGELE55

Small victories. Got the shop reorganized to get the frame indoors. Spent a few hours playing our favorite game..."stuck brake drums". Dug up some crusty 5x5 rims for the front, cleaned them up and mounted some roller tires. Engineered a temporary steering wheel so I can maneuver it around.
    Next up: dig out the 98 5.7 vortec I stashed in here someplace a few years ago and grab a loaner Turbo 350 from my neighbor so I can begin mocking up the drivetrain. Oh yeah, we also had a few beers...lol 20191212_180034.jpg

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nothing wrong with a SBC however a Pontiac in a Pontiac would be refreshing; 350, 400, 389 or 421.;)
    Here is some additional information
    https://books.google.com.au/books?i...AEIVzAM#v=onepage&q=1939 Pontiac trim&f=false
    http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/1939.html
    [​IMG]
    eg. 39-2727B
    Six Cylinder
    Model: 39-26
    Name: Deluxe 6
    Started Production: September 8, 1938
    Ended Production: June 20, 1939
    Number Produced: 53,830

-Year of manufacture (YOM)
    2527B - 3 x passenger, 2 x door coupe ('A' - body).

Look for the frame number on front cross member.

Serial number
    was on front cross member and commenced with 6PEB001 to 6PEB43679. Prefixes are:-
    • P is Pontiac, Michigan;
    • C is Southgate, California; and
    • L is Linden, New Jersey.
    Engine number series is 6-486201 to 6-595763

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks for the info. Yep, originally was wanting to go with a Pontiac engine until I figured out the size difference between the SBC and the Pontiac engine. Pontiac never made a small block. All blocks were the same (BIG) regardless of displacement. So I'm going SBC to save space under the hood. Check out the pic comparing a SBC Vs a Poncho 350. ChvPont1.jpeg ChvPont2.jpeg [/QUOTE]

8. Run square tubing from the crossmember back to the frame just before the kick ups for the rearend make it bolt in and you'll have a good "K" member that will work.

AGELE55 likes this.
  9. Love your project...I've been running Pontiac and Pontiac powered cars since '68...love em. My buddy, Dar has a 40 series 28. He runs a front-steer Firebird subframe, 434 cu in Pontiac, 400 turbo and a 70s Firebird 10 bolt posi. His is 4.75" bolt pattern and he runs Ralley II's. If you keep your 5" bolt pattern, full size pontiacs of the 60s-70s had them. dars40.jpg
    BTW, a Pontiac V/8 will fit your 39 ok. I use a Pontiac in my 34 ford [avatar] with no problems....

oliver westlund and Gasser 57 like this.
  10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Aw shucks.... come on , keep a Pontiac in the Pontiac !

11. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

At the end of the day you have to decide what you want to do with the car. If you're building an all rounder which would be safe and fun to bomb about in, I'm going to stick my neck out and say don't bother with that front suspension. Everything is wrong on it from the PoV of modern tire technology (I'm not talking 20" tires but any tire designed from the late 70-up). You're in the US where you have a HUGE choice of aftermarket ifs kits and from what I know they don't cost an arm and a leg. Yes, yes, this is a trad forum but people have been putting Corvair front suspension on cars like yours in the 60s. Some Jaguars have very good disc brakes front suspension which can be adapted too and those can still be found in scrap yards cheap. So...

oliver westlund and AGELE55 like this.
  12. AGELE55

AGELE55

Serial number was on front cross member and commenced with 6PEB001 to 6PEB43679. Prefixes are:-
    • P is Pontiac, Michigan;
    • C is Southgate, California; and
    • L is Linden, New Jersey.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Well, I found the two rivets, but tag between them.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Have you thought about using a six cylinder? Perhaps check out the late 1960's Pontiac Overhead Cam sixes. The "Sprint" OHC six came from the factory with a 4 bbl. carb and a split manifold / dual exhaust. They are kinda tough to find, though.

I tried to find an OHC for my 41 Pontiac, but couldn't. Found a 1950 GMC 270 six cylinder.....With a "H" head, instead.

Pontiac OHC Six Hot Rod.jpg Pontiac OHC Six.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. AGELE55

AGELE55

I have to admit, that is pretty damn cool. I'll keep an eye out for one, but they have got to be a rare find.
    A belt driven OHC, who'd a thunk it? Ahead of it's time.

Torkwrench likes this.
  15. AGELE55

AGELE55

Was preparing to lift the body onto the frame for an intial test fit, but going to hold short and repair the RR trunk body support area first. I'd like to use this as a lift point. After staring at it for a few days, it dawned on me that the PO used this as a lift point and it buckled upward.
    The RR trunk area is the worst area on the coupe. As you can see the entire wheel well is circled with airspace that used to be metal.

Attached Files:

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Chevy engine compared to Pontiac; all I can say is, unbelievable!!!

AGELE55 likes this.
  17. AGELE55

AGELE55

First test fit for the body to the frame. Never been together since I've owned it, so figured I better give it a look...and look! Discovered I don't have a radiator support, which also supports the front fenders. Good luck finding one....
    Anyone have a lead on one or dimensions to build one? 20191221_183221.jpg 20191221_183324.jpg

18. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The core support is a big U that fits around the radiator and mounts to the tab on the crossmember with two arms to mount the fenders with the headlight bolts. I would mock up the fenders to see the size of the U and arms need to be.i would think some 1x3 steel tubing and a chop saw and you are in business

AGELE55 likes this.
  19. AGELE55

AGELE55

Does the radiator bolt to the front or back of the support?

20. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

It would bolt to the back side, the front is covered in sheetmetal. I think if you mock up fenders and other front end parts you will see what I mean.

AGELE55 likes this.
  21. AGELE55

AGELE55

Ding! The lightbulb just came on. I remembered I have an old radiator support from the 55 that had been hacked by a PO. I fabbed a new top bar from angle and ran it for years until I found an unmolested one. I dug it out of the back shed and thinking I can modify once more for use in the 39 Poncho.
    Moral: Never throw the old stuff out, just stash it somewhere for a rainy day. 20191222_102815.jpg

22. AGELE55

AGELE55

First mock up continues. 20191222_121941.jpg

23. Hell, what a cool car, the front section is like a dog, love it or leave it.
    imho i'd say put some GM powerplant in it, no matter what. it's like the Ford guys say, put a Ford in a Ford.
    Watching this, cool car, i'm looking forward to see what it will come out, dude.

Cheers, Carsten

AGELE55 likes this.
  24. AGELE55

AGELE55

Hey Bill-
    Thanks for the insight. I found the bolt holes under the headlights and made up a temporary wooden stringer for measuring.
    Is there any way I could con you into taking a few measurements / pics to help a brother out?..assuming your front clip is interchangeable with a Series 25. ??
    I'm coming up with 21" across the support frame. Can you verify? I also see the top of the frame sloped forward when I pick up the fender bolts. Correct?
    Any help would be appreciated. The cutoff wheel and welder are on standby. 20191222_140413.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Your welcome, anytime I can help let me know. I can’t take measurements now as my car is in storage away from home. 25 and 26 are different from what I know. 21 inch’s could be a little wide , my aluminum radiator is like 19.5 inch’s do you have the inner fenders and tins that seal the radiator to the U that would give you a good idea on size. When you mount the U mount it a little low so you can adjust it up with shims, so your belt line trim doesn’t run up hill or down hill. My U frame is vertical or close to it, you might have to move the bottom forward

26. AGELE55

AGELE55

Yeah... I have the inner fenders, but without the support, I can float the fenders around too much to get a firm measurement. I'll keeping fiddling around with it.
    Yes, my support will be vertical. I meant the top bar of the support tips forward to sit flush on the fenders.
    Any idea what the big round hole in the top of the nose cap is for?

27. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

image.jpg image.jpg
    The stock core support has no top bar and you might have to move arms back some what. I wish my car was home so I could take some pics and be more help. The big hole in the nose cap is for access behind the grill, I think. I have seen restored car with a round plate and cool decal over it found this on the bay core support is up side down

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  28. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks all for the great replies. A
    I actually located a support and it's on it's way. A stroke of pure dumb luck.

29. AGELE55

AGELE55

So, let's see if we can get a 98 Vortec 350 married to a 79 Turbo 350 stuffed into a 39 Pontiac.
    What could possibly go wrong? 20191223_162017.jpg