Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another issue facing us old car buffs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 21, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

. This got touched on earlier by one of you / Not so sure where you live but here in Mn if you live in some of the cities or many of the townships you are not allowed to have boat, snowmobile,trailor .motorhome ,unlicenced vehicle or regularly work on you vehicle in your driveway or yard . The neigbors will raise a recuse and the city will send you a tag . I was reading the rules recently and we are not allowed to have a close line to dry cloths now.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Some places won't let you work on them in your garage, either.

Living out in the country where the rules are lax, is nice...although you do have to put up with neighbors who work on their crap in their driveway! :)

3. adam401

adam401

Some places are pretty restrictive. I'm pretty sure I could shoot my car with a shotgun here if I felt like it and not get it any trouble. And my wife uses a clothes line.

4. Life is about choices..I've always chose to work on my own cars as I see fit.
    I wouldn't choose to live in an area where I was restricted to do what I enjoy.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"It's a free country"

Wait. What!?

6. 34Larry

34Larry

Not to rain on your parade BLAZEDOGS, but after witnessing what we (my wife and I) have in the middle class neighborhood that was great and everyone took care of their place that we live in, (me for over 46 years), I truthfully understand the need of such laws. These generations behind us don't come close to sharing the same values in the slightest. Here my 3 bedroom single bath, with detached garage on a 1/4 acre lot that I paid $19,950 for now is valued at $350,000 if in good repair. That demands it be taken care of, to do less will cost plenty if left to these generations coming in now by causing property values to vastly tumble. No offence intended.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

Nothing but people who don't want you to have what they don't have. Mostly, satisfaction. They get a power hardon and they go through the neighborhood swinging their pecker in your face.

8. blazedogs

blazedogs

No Offense taken Just my own take on a hobby I love , helps me after retiring from a very high stress job after 25 yrs

ConradK and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s why I live in rural Oklahoma. We have hardly any restrictions here. But we do try to respect our neighbors. I have about seventy five cars. But when you drive by the ranch you can’t see most of them.
    I could never live in a restricted area. Don’t much like dumb rules! I pertty sure someone telling me what or whatnot I could do in my garage, would not end good. Just me.

Bones

10. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

No having fun allowed. I'd move right away.

48fordnut, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would think that in CT that just having a shotgun would be grounds for some sort of action!
    That is just another reason that we left CT, every time you opened the newspaper there was a new tax or law to deal with!
    KK

12. Budget36

Budget36

The clothesline thing sounds a little extreme, in my opinion.
    Always wondered why you can't keep a non-opped car in your driveway, never made sense to me.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Texas Webb like this.
  13. Not a lot of restrictions where I live, but I mostly work on my car in the garage. I have painted in the driveway, and done major repairs on my boats in the yard. So far, no one has complained...

1morecarIpromise! and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Lived on acreage most of my life.Now fenced and enough trees to not worry about looky-loos,or snoopers.

Ranchero59, 1Nimrod, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. This is exactly why I live in the middle of no where and I drive an hour into the city to work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. toml24

toml24

Just about the only rules in our neighborhood is street sweeping and a 72 hour unattended parking law. I once had to call U-Haul and tell them about our 72 hour law and 2-hours later the truck was gone.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

When we moved to our current place 25 years ago we had to sign an agreement to "no clotheslines, no flag poles, no eternal structures, etc. etc. Within the 1st month the clothesline was up, and the shed was being built. A little discussion with the lawyer soon ended all the restrictions the developer wanted to place on everyone. Make sure you know your rights before bowing to the neighbourhood nazis !!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ned Ludd, catdad49, 1Nimrod and 10 others like this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

A lot of it is how you get along with the neighbors, if there ok with you you get by with more.

19. VOTE.... If a government isn't responsive to the citizens then vote them out of office and get someone there to change the laws.

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would have gone after them and the BS agreement on the grounds that no structure is eternal and therefore the agreement is invalid! LOL

safetythird, Ebbsspeed, joel and 2 others like this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I built my house in a sub division 25 years ago and had to sign documents when building in regards to what's on your driveway. They don't care what's going on in your garage but I'm glad for the bylaws in regards to boats and travel trailers being parked on driveways blocking your views. I still don't understand people even with the bylaws in place and being enforced on my street buying skidoos and ATV's having no place to drive them and they sit parked year after year in the back of their garages gathering dust but each to his own I guess.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. brading

brading

At least we have a thing called a SORN Statuary Off the Road Notice we can apply for when vehicle is on private property not taxed and not used on the public highway.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I hang freshly painted auto parts on my clothes line, while my car is apart in the driveway, on jack stands.

All good in my ghetto.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

over the years I have done a lot of moving around - have gone back to some of the nice basic urban neighborhoods - they are now run down and neglected - moved out to the country with houses spaced good and on two sides had big orchards that prevented development - but, had one empty lot on one side for a long time - finally it sold and a house was built right along my property line - did not like it but, that motivated moving from our place - new neighbor stored all types of long dead trees, junk scrap, etc - made it hard to sell my place for the price I deserved - sold low and moved - now just rent so I can move on when I decide to - point being, what you do on your property is OK until your actions have a negative impact on your neighbor -

25. Ziggster

Ziggster

Yep, we have the same type bylaws, but I can understand it. Today's homes/ town homes are jammed packed with no room to spare. There is no privacy, no room, and plenty of rules. Average single dwelling house price in Ottawa is over CAN$600K. What paint to use/not to use on your exterior, no "storage" of RV's, cars, trailers, etc, no clotheslines.
    I live out in the country, in the beautiful Gatineau hills. No issues, do mostly what you want, but recently, more "city" folk moving here, and some want to bring their silly "city" rules with them.

26. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

There's no freaking way I'd live someplace that tells me I can't work on my car in my own damn garage. We live just outside of a small town, so I've never had a problem. I keep my parts cars and junk stashed behind our pole barn. Still, as the population around here continues to grow, the wife and I keep looking at property further out in the sticks! lol

27. 62rebel

62rebel

Never assume that the bad neighbors you have now can't be replaced by worse ones. Nothing is guaranteed.

28. They way things are now, you can not do one damn thing without someone saying that it is wrong or should not be allowed. This seems to be a horrible trend in behavior that is getting worse every year.

29. No neighbors close enough to worry about that crap. If i pay for my property, it's mine, to do with what i please. Guess if i bought some property in a restricted neighborhood, i would understand. But i choose not to live that way. I mean neighbors are good, but I don't need them in my business

Old wolf, 56don, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Never Have Had A Problem With This And Keep A Tidy Property So Others Can Enjoy The View... 74527194_2438475943143339_4009543951559163904_o.jpg