Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who Else Gets To Drive Your Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TFoch, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I let a couple kids sit in mine at a car show. The loved it and their dad got a couple good pictures.

TFoch likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 7 years only the guys who put in the trans would be my thoughts. I’ve never seen it drive by and often wonder what it looks like.

TFoch likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I let the dog drive once and look what the little bastard did.

buddymail.jpg

4. trollst

trollst

I've let a number of people in the time I've owned my 36, but now only my daughter and son, both adults, my wife has no interest, my roadster pickup I'll let anyone drive, few get to experience a small open wheeled car, so I try to spread the excitement. DSC06618.JPG

ct1932ford and TFoch like this.
  5. I would let this tall guy if he could reach the pedals. :eek:

SC 030.JPG
    or this one
    bellacoupeIMG_0335 (2).jpg
    or these two:rolleyes:
    IMG_0888.JPG
    Or any of these.:D
    IMG_0921 (2).JPG
    I'm Easy!;)

But not these guys!:eek: IMG_4200.JPG IMG_4149 (2).JPG

dana barlow, j3harleys and TFoch like this.
  6. Don't normally let anyone drive my car.
    My good friend & an incredibly good mechanic asked if he could borrow my car to take his brother & nephew(from England) for a tour last summer.
    I said yes, cuz he helped me build the car in the first place & he's a good friend.
    After he dropped off the car I parked it in the garage & popped the trunk to turn off the battery & noticed rubber all over the trailing edge of the trunk lid.(WTF)
    I was a little perturbed thinking that he wouldn't bag drive my car.
    Guess I was wrong.
    That will be the last time!

TFoch likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

TFoch likes this.
  8. That is a good point, I haven't seen my car drive by either. I have thought about letting my daughter drive it by the house so I could see what it looks like coming down the road. Maybe next summer :)

ct1932ford likes this.
  9. Mrs Beaner has been known to drive my cars as well as my oldest granddaughter. The @raven drives 'em on occasion too. My cars are just not that special.

raven and TFoch like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

My wife drives most of them once in a while but she’s nervous even riding in my Austin since I put the blown SBC in it. My step son and middle step daughter have driven everything but the Austin, they really like driving the roadster. My step son used to drive my F100 to work.
    Before I retired and moved away my buddy used to drive my ‘29 pu to shows while I drove my ‘27 T roadster. My old GF loved driving that roadster, it fit her perfectly.
    I’ve never had trouble letting someone drive my hot rods, I wish someone would have let me drive one when I was young.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch likes this.
  11. Thanks Mark, I don't think I would need a booster seat! :D HRP

dana barlow, TFoch and ct1932ford like this.
  12. Here is a funny thought. At the HAMB drags I usually leave my tool box where someone can find it in case they need it. I also normally leave my keys in the switch and there are people who know that they can move it if they need to. No one has ever hurt my cars or trucks and the people who know wouldn't let someone take off with my stuff.

Works for me

TFoch likes this.
  13. raven

raven

Since I’ve put the new ($$) motor in my roadster, no one but me has driven it.
    r

Every once in a while, life gets a little more surreal.

TFoch likes this.
  14. LOL I have thought about it but I try to only drive cars that I can afford to break. :D :D :D

TFoch likes this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now at 87 years, I have given my roadster to my son, who is now 60 years old & loves driving it.

dana barlow, EMD567 and TFoch like this.
  17. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

My wife can't drive a 4 speed so that just leaves me.

alanp561 and TFoch like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When I was a teenager, I had a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was the most fun car for me and others that piled into the back for short drives or trips to the local beaches. There were two times that someone other than me was allowed to drive my Flathead/LaSalle 3 speed Ford Sedan Delivery during high school. I never offered to let someone drive, unless it was being so tired that I could not stay awake, while being 100 miles south of home. It was an early morning to late afternoon surf adventure at the Trestles Surf Spot in South Orange County. We had driven there and slept in the back until the wee hours of sunrise.
    upload_2020-1-23_2-56-4.png
    After a tiring, but wonderful day of catching a zillion, high quality waves, taking a break at lunch and then hitting the afternoon glass off for more high performance waves, it just tired me out to no end. We could barely walk up the hill back to the sedan delivery and had to stop many times to rest. By the time we got there, I could barely stand up and wanted to take a long nap. But the others had to get home, so I let a friend drive all of us home down Coast Highway to Long Beach.

Why wasn’t he tired? He came along to just get away from his family and wanted to see the famous: Trestles Jungle and beach. Luckily, no Marines came to invade our private surf session, as they have been known to do at odd times. My friend guarded our stuff and was the lookout for the invasion troops from the southerly direction. So, it was a reward of sorts to drive the sedan delivery back home.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-1-23_2-57-5.png
    The only other time someone was the sole driver of my sedan delivery was when I got knocked out playing varsity football on a Friday night high school game. I was woozy from the last 5 minutes of the game and all the way home on the team bus. When we all got cleaned up, I could not drive as my head was spinning. So, a good friend offered to drive me to the local hospital for a checkup.

He waited until I had my series of tests and as I walked out to see him and the others, the doctor said that I could not drive home by myself. So, my friend said he would drive me home. By the time I got home, I told him to take the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery home and keep it until Monday morning at school. He lived on the other side of the freeway and met me at school on Monday.

The memory is thin here, as I have no idea what he did with my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery on Saturday and Saturday night. I was soundly sleeping most of the weekend. My mom said I slept for 15 hours on Saturday into Sunday. I can’t remember if I asked him what he did on the weekend. But, I was glad he was such a good friend to keep an eye on me, while I was in my “walking dead” zone. That knock on the brain probably made the rest of the stuff in there jumble together to allow me to be the good kid as I grew up to be ! Ha!

I thanked him profusely and he did say it was fun driving the 1940 Flathead powered Ford Sedan Delivery.

TFoch likes this.
  19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I never "let" him drive this, but my wife told me a few years later that when my son was in high school he used to sneak my '28 Buick out and drive it. It's a real tank to drive so I was surprised he could get it out and back into the exact spot without me noticing. A few of the seniors got to have a photo of them and their rides in the year book and he has a photo of "his" Buick. lml-28.jpg

TFoch likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In high school our cars were the “thing” that held us all together. They were used for plenty of things and we all lasted throughout those trying times. Dating, double dating, drag racing, cruising, teenage bravado challenges, etc. all played their role in the teenage years. But throughout those high school days and into the first years of college, only one person actually got to have my 58 Impala for the Friday night cruises. Then, the whole day and night on Saturday, and the final exchange being done on Sunday afternoon. For me, it was a great idea that gave me something different from driving the same car from 1959-64.
    upload_2020-2-9_3-42-54.png

My friend and I worked on both cars and had great knowledge of what was what on the other’s car. His car was the 57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop with a 283/ dual quads, traction master bars, Positraction, a lowered California rake and a custom 4 speed instead of the stock 3 speed column shift. His 57 Chevy was fast, but always took second to my 58 Impala. If I drove his car in a swap, it still took second to my 58 Impala with my friend behind the wheel. That 57 just needed a little extra and it would be a different story on Cherry Avenue.
    upload_2020-2-9_3-41-47.png
    After all of our high school shenanigans, we decided to do a swap for this one summer weekend. I finally had my own 4 speed Chevy and he got to play with my 58 Impala with the C&O Hydro and the way it was set up. We had spent countless hours in each other’s cars during our weekly cruises all over So Cal. He was fast enough to be victorious in most of his encounters with other teenagers in their hot rods. So, it was to be a first time swap for both of us.

Jnaki

The odd thing was, I did not want to cruise around with a bunch of our other friends. I had a date. Not with anyone, but my friend’s old girlfriend. We were all good friends. That was really something. He was ok with that, as he was now with a new girlfriend and my 58 Impala. (He told me later that he did race two times and won both by a few car lengths.)

At first, it was strange sitting in the front seat shifting the 4 speed instead of my C&O Stick Hydro. The stories we have all heard about the curved 4 speed lever and ball being so close to the seat are true. It did cause some anxious moments, and some much needed laughter. At the drive-in theater, it was in first gear up and away.

The most unusual thing was the girl sitting next to me for the whole weekend. It was odd, but, this whole weekend was the most fun I had during this time period of our lives. It was definitely an odd occurrence, but we all remained friends into adult hood. The funny thing is, after all of these fun times, those two actually got married later on in their 20s and came to our wedding as a happily married couple.

He was the only other person to ever drive my 58 Chevy Impala. Those two were great friends from the high school days and into the first year of college. We all had plenty of fun while it lasted. They are both gone, now, but I always think of them and those episodes in So Cal’s Bixby Knolls. “Those were the times…”

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    TFoch likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In 1965, I went away to college in San Jose. I was driving my new 65 red El Camino. It was so much fun to drive and the reliability was top notch. No more worries about click, click non-starts in the morning. A simple 327 4 barrel with an auto transmission made it easy to drive and get the work done. It did have some custom touches, but it was a driving car/truck. I was very cautious about who got to drive my 1940 Ford Flathead Sedan Delivery and the 58 Impala back in Bixby Knolls. But, here I had college roommates and they all had their own cars.
    upload_2020-3-25_4-31-33.png
    In the spring of 1965, a girl who was into cars, (but knew virtually nothing except for putting the key in the ignition), asked me to go with her to buy an Austin Healy sporty car. We did and she drove like a banshee and scared the "crapola" out of both of us. But, she bought it. She was so happy that she wanted to do something nice for me. She suggested that we go to Santa Cruz about 33 miles of mountain driving to the West, for a day of surfing and just hanging around. It was meant as a day for her to pick up the tab for my kindness in "stuff, automobile." A full tank of gas, surfing, lunch, more surfing, then some dinner and who knows...

Then a week later, we both went in my 1965 El Camino to Santa Cruz to go surfing. We drove straight to Pleasure Point for some outstanding, point waves wrapping around the cliff side. I came in a couple of times after a few hours and took short naps. By the late afternoon, I was almost called a “walking/sleeping dead surfer” in the parking area. Too many waves, an outstanding day and battling the paddle back out to the take off point was tiring, but worth it.

My then, So Cal reverse fin, cut right through those thick seaweed portions of the waves and made the rides outstanding. When I came in for lunch, my friend said she thought it was funny watching me surf really well, then all of a sudden, go flying off of the front of the board, flat on my face. My reverse fin design was good, but it did catch some seaweed on a few rides.

We packed up and decided to go eat some dinner before the long drive through the mountains back to San Jose. We decided not to stay in a motel for the night. I could not drive very far and the CHP pulled us over for illegal lights in front. I had turned on the running lights instead of the regular lights. The dash board lit up as if the headlights were turned on for night driving. After realizing we were college students going back to school, the nice CHP officer gave us a warning and drove off.
    upload_2020-3-25_4-38-11.png
    Jnaki

That incident woke me up somewhat, but I decided to let my friend drive my new 1965 El Camino back to our apartment. She had never driven an El Camino before and had never driven on Highway 17 to Santa Cruz and back. This was going to be some scary, mountain drive. But, luckily, she was as tall as I was and the seating area was plenty to lean back and fall asleep within a block. I fell asleep until she drove up to the driveway of our apartment building back in San Jose. She was a very conscientious person and good driver, after all.

Whew… She was the only one to drive my new car. Several years later in So Cal, my then, girlfriend and finally as my wife, was able to be the 2nd person to drive my El Camino. By the time we sold the 1965 El Camino in 1977, it had 125k miles on it and my wife was responsible for about half of those miles.

TFoch likes this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

My wife. I'm not sure that's a good idea sometimes. IMG_2477.JPG

TFoch and dana barlow like this.
  23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

These ladies could if they wanted to. IMG_2470.JPG

TFoch, dana barlow and ct1932ford like this.
  24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has to wear leg braces so driving the p/u is out but I'm building a '54 Ranch Wagon with an a 302 and AOD so she can drive it if need be (and of course a/c but that's a whole other story). On another note, last time I was at a car show a guy about my age parked a T bucket next to me. The T was owned by an old timer car guy who built it years ago and now has Parkinson's. He can barely communicate let alone drive anymore. The buddy drove the old guy and the T to the show which meant he couldn't bring his own car. The old guy was over the moon just being there and talking about building the T even though he had a lot of trouble communicating. I guess the point is there may come a time when someone else driving your ride is a good idea. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    TFoch and dana barlow like this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There are a few,my son and my good friends that can handle how tricky driving a hot rod is. One asked if he could take a gal he was dating for a ride around the block,they are now married. VoNgal.jpg

clem, 47ragtop and TFoch like this.
  26. My oldest boy has been driving my pu lately while he has his drivers permit. Getting a little practice in shifting the 3-on-the-tree is good since his pu that will be the same isn’t quite done yet.

BCED98DB-E016-487F-89CA-11C9D20549E2.jpeg

TFoch and Hemihead_NHRA like this.
  27. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Daughter #2 learning to drive the Dodge.
    IMG_4520.JPG

TFoch, Hemihead_NHRA and guthriesmith like this.
  28. All mine manual trans and Armstrong steering so my wife won't try but I'd let her drive them anytime- see drives topless all Summer in her Corvette convertible-

TFoch likes this.
  29. nice

TFoch likes this.