Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Turtle decks...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Hopefully, Santa is bringing me a turtle deck this Christmas. I am on the fence about how high to mount it. If some folks could post up some pics of T's with turtle decks, I would greatly appreciate it! (The body is a '23)

dana barlow likes this.
  2. raven

raven

[​IMG]
    r

Every once in a while, life gets a little more surreal.

3. raven

raven

Here’s irontraps T. Just because it’s beautiful.
    r
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every once in a while, life gets a little more surreal.

4. Irontrap's car is absolutely amazing! Big difference in the height of both turtle decks. Raven, your car looks like it will also going to be outstanding.
    Is this the difference between a '23 style and the '27? Or is it personal preference. I need room for my fuel tank and the battery underneath. 20191105_134441.jpg

loudbang likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

My car is a '26 RPU cab but I'm using an earlier turtle deck that was widened, it sits on top of the frame rails instead of lining up with the top of the back of the body like a stock 26-27 does. There's not a lot of room inside one, in fact, my gas tank sticks out of the top of it, although it's a big tank.

20180627_105543.jpg
    Here's one without the tank, and one with it.

20180629_225207.jpg
    You could build a set of false subrails that would mount on your frame and hold the deck up about 4 inches, like what a stock 26-27 has, and gain a lot of inside trunk space.

6. I like the way you did that. Actually considered installing my tank the same way if it doesn't fit. 20191105_142116.jpg

Squablow, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think it depends heavily on the build style of the car. Looks good low or high based on that.

maybe post a good side shot of your car and someone can photoshop or sketch the deck on it at different heights?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I love turtle decks. Never understood the popularity of pickup beds when you could have a turtle deck. I don't dislike pickup beds but like turtle decks a whole lot more.

9. Okay, I will post a side view, but every time I show a picture all the critics come out and say: "this is wrong " and "that is wrong " even though I have explained that I am changing just about everything that they hit on, like the valve covers that are going to be replaced with finned covers, the wheels that are being replaced with steel wheels and wide white walls etc. I have thick skin, but it can be annoying... Also I am on a fixed income, and things will get done as I can afford it. 20190728_121920.jpg

loudbang, OFT and Tim like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

26-7 style. Scale was guessing off the rim size of each photo. 62A9190E-44D6-4FA2-AEDB-B877F1B7F320.jpeg second is my favorite. The late t deck but I moved your axles back. Kept the same wheel base, I just grabbed the wheels together and moved them back AF4132A8-8DC8-48ED-B6CE-5ABDDC3BADCE.jpeg 3B3D79C9-AF80-4AB6-871C-9F2BF971A2F9.jpeg and third is a 23 ish turtle deck in the low position. Pardon the random bit of wheel/ fender.

second and third photos got swapped gah. You get the idea

loudbang and OFT like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That being said the early deck with the existing everything feels proportional/ balanced visually

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  12. Sweet! Thanks, that's a huge help...

loudbang and Tim like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

No problem

loudbang likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That red muffler sure does clash with the blue paint;)

15. Sorry, I couldn't find "Cherry Bombs " in blue...

loudbang likes this.
  16. Already ordered the early T deck, and it does look better. There is going to be some overhang, so it will have a kind of "T altered " look...

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The turtle deck should sit within the character line in the back of the body. Here's one I build many years ago.
    SPark

TrackT1.jpg

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You will be happy that you bought the early (23-25) deck, nothing else looks right, in my opinion. P1010141.JPG

Lil'Alb, loudbang, cactus1 and 5 others like this.
  19. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

408278-P5150499.jpg my t from years ago that I wrecked at el mirage

Lil'Alb and loudbang like this.
  20. Try to find a '26-'27 turtledeck and you'll have your answer. They're hard to find, and when you do they aren't in great shape or cheap. Plus, the decklid is usually missing. Modern reproduction lids are out there, but they aren't cheap either. And the steel one from Howell's doesn't fit anyway.

I do know of a pretty nice one that's for sale, but it's priced at $3k. A little more than I want tp pay to replace the one I finally found, that's going to need so much work the $3k one will probably seem like a deal when I'm done.

loudbang likes this.
  21. I ordered one from "Class Glass Performance" made right here in Maryland.
    $235 with a separate trunk lid. Best thing is that I can pick it up at their shop and avoid shipping costs! I assumed that the body line in the back was where the deck was mounted...

RJP, loudbang and Tim like this.
  22. Ya ya I know, the Tires are in the wrong place. That said the Turtle Deck sits on the body nice. I do believe that is a late Turtle Deck though.
    20180812_154326.jpg 20180812_154207.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. upspirate

upspirate

Probably best bet for you is when you get it, mock it up at various heights til it looks right to you...after all it is your car not ours. May have to build a custom tank to fit though. There are some low profile marine tanks, but not sure how safe or legal on a vehicle

loudbang likes this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look like you need to back half your car when you get the Christmas present.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Love the hemi powered T cactus1 posted, enough to start collecting parts

loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  26. Yes! Gene Chan's T is the best of the best!

loudbang likes this.
  27. A word of caution -
    Long ago, I bought a 'glass '57 bumper at Rod & Race Fiberglass in Laurel, MD. Didn't understand that newly made parts are ''green'' and don't fully cure and harden right away. I didn't store it perfectly straight, and it forever had a twist in it.

28. Yeah, I figure it will sit outside to cure. Not sure how well that will happen in the winter...